All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-04-2009, 06:33 PM

quadrupole is on a distinguished road
Phone Handset Slow GPS lock on my N95-1 with A-GPS. Finally fixed!

Just had to shout that I'd solved the puzzle where using Nokia Maps would take 30 seconds to 10 minutes before telling you where you are. The confusing thing was that Google Maps would get a cellular base station fix within 5 seconds, then wait for the regular GPS, and was far quicker to get an approx location than the Nokia app. UTM Data, the pure Lat/Long app, would also give the same amount of time as the 'Position' entry in Tools->Connectivity->GPS Data before getting a fix.

Seeing as though there have been a few threads on the subject, I'll post my solution. Sadly it's not a new trick or app, just down to my user error! On Tools -> Settings -> General -> Phone -> Positioning the two options are the methods, and server. I had A-GPS ticked, the positioning server was already set to supl.nokia.com as per Nokia support instructions. The one thing on the support page (http://www.nokia.co.uk/get-support-and-software/product-support/nokia-n95/a-gps) I never had defined was an access point, and the option had 'must be defined' listed. Mine is a regular UK N95-1, never been branded, on firmware v30. Needless to say, when the access point is set to my usual (O2 mobile web), Nokia maps gets a fix in 10 seconds, and even gives the confidence radius on the map for about a second before it gets the fix. Brilliant!

Don't know what will happen when roaming yet..

Hope this helps.
Ads