All About N-Gage - Next Generation Ready

Old 22-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
All About N-Gage takes a look at Prince Of Persia

In our latest review, All About N-Gage gives Gameloft's Prince Of Persia the once-over. The graphics are good, the sound is amazing, but how is the gameplay? Click on the link to find out...

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-03-2009, 06:56 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
For some reason, nokia doesn't seem to get it. First n-gage had great games but a sad concept of creating a console like device pushed it into failure, Ngage2 has a great concept, a client for every phone is a great idea but the crap quality of games is causing people to lose interest in n-gage. And Nokia is to be blamed for not keeping decent quality standards for n-gage games.

Last edited by Hardeep1singh; 23-03-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Old 23-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
And Nokia is to be blamed for not keeping decent quality standards for n-gage games.
This isn't a Nokia game, this is a Gameloft game.

Gameloft are the ones who control everything about their games, because they're a huge third party publisher.

Gameloft's games are generic and dull on every platform they publish on, like I've often said they're the mobile phone world's equivalent of Electronic Arts.

But their games sell extremely well. If you look at all the N-Gage sales charts so far, Gameloft have had more weeks in the top 5 than any other publisher including Nokia themselves. (shrug)

Quote:
Ngage2 has a great concept, a client for every phone is a great idea but the crap quality of games is causing people to lose interest in n-gage.
I'm sorry but you're remembering things in a totally distorted way. You're looking at the whole three years of the original gen and trying to compare it to just the first few months of next gen, which isn't a valid comparison at all.

I had an N-Gage and a QD and I bought several hundred euros worth of games for them, and I do remember what it was like back then.

The games on the original gen N-Gage were RUBBISH at this point in its lifecycle. Real crud. They clogged up the shop shelves and never got sold. Many games shops just bought the first batch of games and never bothered stocking any of the later titles because sales were so bad.

The only decent titles during the original gen's first year were recycled PS1 titles from several years ago with all their cut scenes removed, a recycled GBA game, and NO exclusive titles whatsoever. What's more the games during the first year were extremely expensive, fifty euros a title.

Next gen N-Gage on the other hand has really good exclusives, right from the beginning, and they're about 5 to 10 euros each.

Old 24-03-2009, 03:55 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
This isn't a Nokia game, this is a Gameloft game.

Gameloft are the ones who control everything about their games, because they're a huge third party publisher.
That still doesn't take any part of the blame away from Nokia, they're dishing crap because Nokia is allowing them to. Why can't they have an Apple style rejection procedure to keep the crap out. This is important if they want to build Ngage's image as a premium gaming platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
The only decent titles during the original gen's first year were recycled PS1 titles from several years ago with all their cut scenes removed, a recycled GBA game, and NO exclusive titles whatsoever. What's more the games during the first year were extremely expensive, fifty euros a title.

Next gen N-Gage on the other hand has really good exclusives, right from the beginning, and they're about 5 to 10 euros each.
Atleast the games gave you a console like feel back then, the games coming out on the new ngage either consider you plain stupid (like POP) or just don't look like a premium quality game.

Just look at Asphalt 3 or 4 and compare it with Asphalt 2 of the old N-gage, the new versions just don't provide you a smooth gameplay, the framerate looks like it was split to half.

Developers are there to make money, they would only target maximum profits at minimum cost, its Nokia who needs to specify some decent quality standards if they want to establish n-gage as a worthy gaming platform.

Old 25-03-2009, 06:24 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh View Post
Just look at Asphalt 3 or 4 and compare it with Asphalt 2 of the old N-gage, the new versions just don't provide you a smooth gameplay, the framerate looks like it was split to half.
Asphalt4 HD (dunno about the ordinary version; I've only purchased the HD one) is hardware accelerated on the N95. While it's in no way as fast and spectacular as on the iPhone, it's still way better than on the (unaccelerated) Windows Mobile.

That is, this greatly depends on what (un/accelerated) model you play it on.

Old 25-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
That still doesn't take any part of the blame away from Nokia, they're dishing crap because Nokia is allowing them to. Why can't they have an Apple style rejection procedure to keep the crap out.
Apple DOESN'T keep the crap out. The iPhone Store is full of rubbish, which is part of the reason there are so many apps in it.

What Apple keeps out is software that competes with its own apps. Any third party rivals to Apple's own major apps are rejected purely because Apple is scared of competition.

As for stopping Gameloft releasing games on N-Gage, that would be like Nintendo or Microsoft or Sony stopping EA releasing games on their consoles. It might please the reviewers and the hardcore fans, but it would annoy the majority of customers.

If Gameloft said they were no longer going to release games on N-Gage, that would greatly harm the platform's credibility, and it would also mean a lot less games sold on the platform. As I said before, Gameloft makes more chart-topping games on N-Gage than any other publisher.

I gave Asphalt 4 a really bad review, but I also said in the review that it would probably be a best-selling game because so many people bought the nearly-identical Asphalt 3.

Quote:
Atleast the games gave you a console like feel back then, the games coming out on the new ngage either consider you plain stupid (like POP) or just don't look like a premium quality game.
The ported PS1 games on original gen N-Gage during its first year gave the feeling of a very very old console with the wrong-shaped screen. And they all cost the same as full-price console games.

The non-PS1 games on original gen N-Gage during its first year were awful cheap ports of Java games. Things like Puyo Pop didn't even bother having their own menu artwork, they just used the S60 system font. And they cost the same as full-price console games too.

Tony Hawk was probably the only really good game at launch, and even that was a slightly remixed port of an old title.

Read some of our reviews from back then:

Puyo Pop - 30%
http://www.allaboutngage.com/classic...m/Puyo_Pop.php

Puzzle Bobble - 22%
http://www.allaboutngage.com/classic..._Bobble_VS.php

Moto GP - 58%
http://www.allaboutngage.com/classic...em/Moto_GP.php

Pandemonium - 60%
http://www.allaboutngage.com/classic...andemonium.php

Tomb Raider - 71%
http://www.allaboutngage.com/classic...omb_Raider.php

I know there were better games later, but that's the point: they came later, they weren't available until over a year after the platform launched.

Technically next gen N-Gage launched almost a year ago, but it's only been bundled with phones for a few months, so it's still very very early days. I would give it until the end of 2009 before comparing it to the original gen.