All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
daffie daffie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
daffie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Automatic reinstall of deleted Innov8/Symbian apps after phone restart

I did a hard reset of my Innov8. After which I removed Asphalt, Fifa end YahooGo apps. However now each time I restart the phone, it automatically will reinstall those apps! Anyone have an answer for this rather strange behaviour?

Last edited by daffie; 04-03-2009 at 06:26 PM.

  #2  
Old 04-03-2009, 06:32 PM
N/A's Avatar
N/A N/A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,949
N/A is on a distinguished road
When you hard reset the phone, the phone memory was cleared, but the applications were actually installed on a memory card, and Symbian attempts to reinstall them automatically. Uninstall them with the App.mgr, or remove the files from the memory card under the appropriate \private folder (own subfolder for each application).

  #3  
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
daffie daffie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
daffie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
When you hard reset the phone, the phone memory was cleared, but the applications were actually installed on a memory card, and Symbian attempts to reinstall them automatically. Uninstall them with the App.mgr, or remove the files from the memory card under the appropriate \private folder (own subfolder for each application).
Thanks, but the apps aren't apps that I have installed myself and neither are there any .sis files on my memorycard. The apps come standard with the phone/Symbian and are on the phone after a hard reset. I de-installed them, but they keep on being reinstalled at phone start-up.
Ads

  #4  
Old 15-03-2009, 02:49 PM
daffie daffie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
daffie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffie View Post
Thanks, but the apps aren't apps that I have installed myself and neither are there any .sis files on my memorycard. The apps come standard with the phone/Symbian and are on the phone after a hard reset. I de-installed them, but they keep on being reinstalled at phone start-up.
Bump

No-one have any idea why this is happening or how to solve the issue?

  #5  
Old 15-03-2009, 07:42 PM
N/A's Avatar
N/A N/A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,949
N/A is on a distinguished road
The apps are still installed on the memory card or mass memory. If you didn't install them, then they were installed by the device manufacturer. Solution is still the same; uninstall with App.mgr if visible there, or delete the files from under the appropriate subfolder under \private.

  #6  
Old 16-03-2009, 03:47 PM
daffie daffie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
daffie is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply. Within Xplore I see Private folders, but no way to go further into those private folders....any idea how to get there (maybe some different software app like Xplore)?

  #7  
Old 16-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Ricardo99 Ricardo99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Ricardo99 is on a distinguished road
You will need to hack your phone to see these folders.

  #8  
Old 17-03-2009, 10:21 AM
daffie daffie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
daffie is on a distinguished road
Aha...that's what I feared :( I understood there is no way (yet) for the Innov8 to be hacked, is that correct?

  #9  
Old 17-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Usil Usil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 37
Usil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffie View Post
Aha...that's what I feared :( I understood there is no way (yet) for the Innov8 to be hacked, is that correct?
Google HelloOX - i8510 has been hackable for a while now.

  #10  
Old 17-03-2009, 05:44 PM
daffie daffie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
daffie is on a distinguished road
Thanks again, I'll try that.

  #11  
Old 17-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Ricardo99 Ricardo99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Ricardo99 is on a distinguished road
Please post back with your results to assist those viewing this forum.

Good luck!

  #12  
Old 17-03-2009, 09:29 PM
N/A's Avatar
N/A N/A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,949
N/A is on a distinguished road
You don't need any kind of hacking.

Simply just connect the phone to your PC in USB mass storage (data transfer) mode, and on the PC make sure you can view hidden/system files. With that, you can see and access every file and folder on the phone's memory card or secondary mass memory.

And you can always take the memory card out, put it in an USB card reader and access all the files that way.

  #13  
Old 18-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Ricardo99 Ricardo99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Ricardo99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
You don't need any kind of hacking.

Simply just connect the phone to your PC in USB mass storage (data transfer) mode, and on the PC make sure you can view hidden/system files. With that, you can see and access every file and folder on the phone's memory card or secondary mass memory.

And you can always take the memory card out, put it in an USB card reader and access all the files that way.
Have you, or anyone else tried this with an i8510? I would be interested to know if this worked.

  #14  
Old 18-03-2009, 06:35 PM
daffie daffie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
daffie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
You don't need any kind of hacking.

Simply just connect the phone to your PC in USB mass storage (data transfer) mode, and on the PC make sure you can view hidden/system files. With that, you can see and access every file and folder on the phone's memory card or secondary mass memory.

And you can always take the memory card out, put it in an USB card reader and access all the files that way.
Thanks, I was already aware of the mass storage mode option. The problem is that I cannot access the phone's memory, and on the phone's memorycard are no .sis files to be found. So still no luck...
 

Bookmarks

Tags
apps, automatic, hard, reinstall, reset

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't reinstall some apps - "expired certificates" gnyd Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 15 03-08-2007 04:50 AM
Hard reset and lost factory preinstalled software. basic OS . I need the factory soft marky912 Nokia 9210 and 9290 8 27-06-2006 04:11 AM
How to hard reset nokia3230? e20yst Nokia 3230 1 10-05-2006 06:27 AM
How do I hard reset a 7710? Gregg Nokia 7710 5 19-07-2005 03:37 PM
6230 Hard Reset Code hilaladam S60 (Series 60) 1 04-02-2005 04:53 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:31 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy