All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Unregistered

"Top right corner, on the side where the front and back join. "

This is caused by the stylus getting the wrong side of the catch that holds it in. Take the back off and bend the tiny piece of metal up a bit so the Stylus doesn't slide over and push the back out.

I had to show the Carphone Warehouse staff how to do this.

This phone is amazing, surpassed all my expectations, I only bought it to try it out, already I think it will be my main carry.

One thing that is really special about it, something very fundamental, it gets 4 bars of signal in places where my N95 was getting one or none. And its' small and light enough to pocket, unlike the Cupertino flagstone.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"Top right corner, on the side where the front and back join. "

This is caused by the stylus getting the wrong side of the catch that holds it in. Take the back off and bend the tiny piece of metal up a bit so the Stylus doesn't slide over and push the back out.

I had to show the Carphone Warehouse staff how to do this.
I'll try that, but Im almost certain thats not the problem. Others have taken it apart and found theres no catch anywhere near that point. It looks like its just coming apart.

Edit: Thats far away from the actual problem, and would not affect it. I cant see how the clip you mention could be out of place unless it was seriously bent.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 02-02-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Ads

Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Unregistered

I've seen one bent so that the point of the stylus went the wrong side of it and caused the back to bow out. The stylus should go under and then the little metal clip clicks into a groove on the stylus.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Just for the record, I haven't had this problem with my 5800, and neither have the other AAS staff as far as I'm aware. But Nokia have shipped over 1 million 5800s so far, so different people may have different experiences.

In general, if you have a phone that's defective when you open the box, it's the shop that is responsible for a repair or replacement. Try to take the phone back to the shop as soon as you spot the problem. Don't use the phone, just take it back.

I bought a phone with part of the casing missing in the box, I took it back to the shop and they replaced it with a new one.

The only thing that manufacturers are responsible for are problems that appear through normal use.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Hi Tzer2, do you notice that the interface of 5800 is still very stylus-centric and not consistent throughout the software. For example, you slide your finger down in the phone menus to scroll down like you would with a stylus, but in the Web browser, you slide your finger up instead similar to the iPhone's interface. This is confusing and you need some time to get use to it.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Unregistered, you only "slide up" when you're viewing content such as web pages, photos, documents etc, and that's because you're moving something about that is too large to fit on the screen.

Actual menus scrolling downwards when you reach the bottom is consistent with most computers, for example, scrolling menus on Windows, Ubuntu, OS X etc.

Quote:
the interface of 5800 is still very stylus-centric
I would disagree, I honestly don't use the stylus at all.

This is the first touchscreen device that I've been able to use 100% with just one hand.

Old 16-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Unregistered

Contact Name

Just bought a Nokia 5800 when people call me just their number appears even though they are stored in my contacts, I know it must be something to do with the settings but cant work out how to fix it... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.