All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 06-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Run your life and create a successful blog with just a phone?

That's just what AAS regular kflyer has been doing for the last few years. No PC needed, just a Series 40 (and then S60) phone, writing articles, managing Wordpress, answering email and so on. Opera Mini is one particular star of the show here, but Miyuru also deserves credit for sticking at such an ambitious task in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles. In this article, he describes how he's been able to manage his blog using just his phone.

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:40 PM

kflyer is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks a lot Steve !

I believe there are many other people who should be credited more than myself in this story, but I'd humbly accept your honor.

Last edited by kflyer; 06-02-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:56 PM

aatifsumar is on a distinguished road

one word.
WOW.
Ads

Old 06-02-2009, 06:33 PM

ChaosFire is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aatifsumar View Post
one word.
WOW.
If you thought that was WoW,get a load of this.(i was hoping Steve would have seen it;in the daily RSS streams):-

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/02/05...odle-kids.html

David.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 PM

It just goes to show you how powerful mobile devices have become. People get shocked,here, when i tell them that i can run 1/6th of my university site on my n82 via MWS & pys60.

Lots of kudos to kflyer, and all mobloggers.

David

Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM

Antoine of MMM is on a distinguished road
I agree; this is an excellent and suitable display of what really is possible when people don't let limits be limitations, but solutions.

I guess just running my personal website with the MWS isn't enough given the other responses here Time to step it up.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Unregistered

very interesting! and it really shows what can be achieved! n95 is a top phone - one of Nokia's all time classic phones.

The chap has real patience - doing stuff on my desktop is tiring enough - I can't imagine working on a phone!!

kudos.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:28 AM

It really shows that mobile devices will define the future of the world. (oh wait, they've done that already !).
Mobile devices, S60 in particular, will become technological and standalone indices of civilization in a society. And with the advent of qwerty 5th Edition devices like the N97,having the hardware specs we all know 'should' be in there, the remaining strings that tie mobloggers to the use of the desktop (for heavy tasks), will be cut.- they would be 'truly mobile', and earn the noble degree of 'Master of Mobility'.

Mmm.. Oh the many ideas that spring to my mind ! I just wish there were more mob-developers here, so much positive change could be wrought in a country, considered unstable/unsafe by the outside world. Where S60 devices could become catalysts of sweeping change on local and national levels.
The creation of a digital framework,powered by S60 devices( and S40) , which would address and resolve problems in the physical nigerian world.
- A world filled with nigerian digital champions, armed with powerful mobile devices;almost becoming a omnipresent force of nature.
The priveledge of being an S60 power user: so inspiring,with mobile devices giving us an eye beyond our physically limited world.
- A visionary dream of a world only reachable by Mobile and the environment.

Long live mobile devices and their innovative potentials !

David.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 AM

kflyer is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone !

If any of you would like, I'd be really glad to have you onboard my blog as an author.

Thanks again !

Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Unregistered

Red face 30 days? did 35 days myself

i spent 5 weeks in hospital last year over 3 periods. they're still not sure what's wrong with me so i'm in the no news is good news brigade at the mo. most likely crohens disease but no confirmation as yet.

2 weeks in march
i went in for an xray that a gp told me to get and i was immediately kept in for 2 weeks. i had my usual ipod, netbook, e61i combo on me. a friend recommended that i have them lock up my ipod and netbook and just hang on to my phone. did so and the e61i kept me amused with ebooks, web, email, and 1gb of emergency mp3s that i had stashed on it when i got it. one thing it was really missing was a game to keep me amused. downloaded 2-3 games to while away the time waiting.

1 week in april
i went for a test and they decided another week was in order. this time i brought a few extras. a nintendo ds and an old n70 still locking up my netbook. mostly for its radio as i missed not having access to various news and documentaries on irish radio. also as i could use one device to display reference material while working on the other. never got around to using the ds.

2 weeks in september
and after falling my hip started to act up. this time i just said sod it and brought new nokia e71 with radio and built in card game. also brought my ipod classic and kept netbook on me. friend loaned me a 3g modem plus 1tb drive with movies that he had spare so i could access the web on it. nokia won't work with it as it's linux. i tried every combonation with th nokias to get it working with linux netbook but it never made it.

all told i managed very well in hospital with those devices. boredom was the enemy between various tests and examinations. i didn't use the netbook in the end as it was more comfortable to lie in bed with the e71 and ipod that sit up with netbook on lap. 99c gave me 50mb a day and was cheaper than a newspaper that i would finish reading in 30mins and using opera mini kept me going all day.

everything fitted into a small a5 bag i picked up that is the perfect size for the eee 701 netbook. it also held the chargers, mains to 2 usb ports and usb to nokia and usb to ipod plus standard eee charger which never left my side.

i used email rather than sms to keep in touch as sms on prepay are quite expensive when you are updating 4-5 people a day with messages that are 10 messages long.

so while the nokias and ipods aren't perfect i still have to thank them for making a painful time a lot more bearable.

also i reckon i probably convinced about 20 others to get a nokia symbian device as staff and patients alike were keen to see how they could be entertained by such a small device.

-moylan

Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
nokia won't work with it as it's linux. i tried every combonation with th nokias to get it working with linux netbook but it never made it.
I'm not sure which netbook you mean, but I got my S60 phone to work as a modem with my Linux-based EEE PC. I did an article about it including instructions:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...bile_phone.php

It's quite easy to do once you know how.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Unregistered

Amazing! Not the part about using only the phone, but the fact that he's doing it with only gprs and no unlimited data. And he writes very very well for one so young. Very inspiring.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 AM

diggygames is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
That's just what AAS regular kflyer has been doing for the last few years. No PC needed, just a Series 40 (and then S60) phone, writing articles, managing Wordpress, answering email and so on. Opera Mini is one particular star of the show here, but Miyuru also deserves credit for sticking at such an ambitious task in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles. In this article, he describes how he's been able to manage his blog using just his phone.
that sort of seems like a pain though. I'd rather work with a nice big screen and a mouse myself to manage a blog.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Unregistered

Smile

>Tzer2

about your instructions. i saw those and had a print out. it's been a few months mind and i can't remember what the final error stopping me was but i think it was that the eee pc 701 i had was seeing the phone but the only network it would dial was vodafone isp and not vodafone live! there's a huge difference between the prices on these here in ireland so i wasn't going to use it with the wrong one. must try it again now that i have an e71.

but thanks to your instructions i did get that far at least. thanks! kept me amused/occupied trying to get it operational.

might try it again. but have been chopping and changing my netbooks as of late.
* started with a eeepc 701. served me very well but when i decided to get rid of my last windows pc at home i needed a netbook with winxp. i will install linux but winxp for 1-2 things.
* went to a asus 904 eeepc. too big for my backpack by one cm. so gave that to my brother who needed email on the move for a new business. probably will give 701 to a nephew who has shown an interest in art.
* got an acer aspire one to replace the 904 as i need winxp for nokia firmware updates at home and ipod bits and pieces.
* also have an olpc in the middle of delivery. was the netbook i always wanted for the ebook mode. amazon not delivering to ireland so have a german mate delivering to a london pal. an international effort!
* and also now looking at fizzbook been sold in argos catalog. if it is a classmate pc it might be very good at linux and as its splash resistant drop proof laptop might be handy for clumsy old me or some kids/engineers i know. then if asked to recommend a laptop and i can get this thing running linux with all bells and whistles then that will be what i recommend.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflyer View Post
Thanks everyone !

If any of you would like, I'd be really glad to have you onboard my blog as an author.

Thanks again !
Hey kflyer, i think i'll take you up on that offer. I believe it be good to have a Symbian voice from Nigeria - would help improve my country's outside image, not to mention allowing me to push the limits of my n82 with the MWS.
Though, school's in exam period.. Will have to wait till end of the month to roll with your offer,you can PM me.
Lets change the world together with S60.

Regards,
David.

P.S: Any special criteria's you looking for ?