All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 19-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Setting up mobile phone "as difficult as setting up a bank account"

BBC News has highlighted a survey that found most people considered setting up their phone to be as difficult as setting up a bank account. 95% of those questioned also said they would try more mobile services if the setup process was easier, which does imply there's lots of room for growth in the phone ecosystem. However, 61% of people would not use a phone app if they couldn't work out how to use it straight away.

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-01-2009, 04:31 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I completely agree on the '61% of people would not use a phone app if they couldn't work out how to use it straight away' part. I consider myself a geek, yet I have abandoned apps within half a days time if I found it difficult to manage or understand. Thank god for trial versions.

Old 19-01-2009, 06:30 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Valid point

I agree to the core. I also consider myself fairly above the normob and still, i get bugged and drop apps if its confusing. Setting up an email, for eg, may not be that easy if its not gmail and the whole point of even e71 goes for a toss for a normob.

Old 19-01-2009, 06:33 AM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
This is a great survey and proves a valid point that the manufactures should listen to. However, users are reluctant to read a manual. Many to most usability features can be found in the first few pages of a manual. Many users are simply lazy and pass off this laziness to the manufactures or developers.

Old 19-01-2009, 07:13 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
However, users are reluctant to read a manual.
Not necessarily all users. I for one always scan the user manual of every product I use. Of course, the laziness does kick in and I do not usually read it in detail.

Old 19-01-2009, 09:27 AM

Jay3gsm is on a distinguished road
Working in mobile retail I get to see the 'average majority' of mobile phone users, who are far removed from the usage and knowledge levels of many members of this forum. Without exaggeration I regularly have to deal with people who cannot:

Turn their phone on!!
Do not know how to answer a call
Or read a text
Or compose a text
Or listen to voicemail
Or turn up the volume in call
Or change their ring tone (You know the people who have that damn annoying standard Nokia tone? It's just because they don't know how to change the bloody thing!)
Or lock the keypad

And so on. And those things are just the basics. So many times I have to hear people tell me how awful T9 is, that they cannot compose a message using it, when in fact little is as simple and easy! Maybe they just can't spell?

The results of that survey only surprise me that the numbers of people who are baffled by the technology is so low! I'd have estimated at many, many more.

Old 19-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Nothing difficult about setting up a bank account, you just sign your name, the people at the bank do the rest. Did it last week.

Old 19-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Unregistered

off topic sortof.

setting up a bank account is very difficult!

in ireland anti terrorism laws were brought in years ago so you need a passport or driving licence to create an account. i have neither and about 10% of irish adults at last count have no bank accounts. i managed to get an account as i went through a government training course in the very early 90s that bypassed the looser laws back then, can't get a credit card though so all this paid for software is useless to me.

so even when it takes me 1-2 hours to bring my e71 back to fully operational after a firmware update thats still easier to do. :-/
Ads