All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
UIQ files for bankruptcy

Following a board meeting on 29th December the board of UIQ Technology resolved to file for bankruptcy. This follows on from the news, in early November, that staff had been put on notice and a temporary transition period was being funded by Sony Ericsson. With that period over, with no alternative investor available and given the current economic climate the board had no choice but to shutter the company.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
It was a bit odd that UIQ even tried to carry on to be honest, once Sony Ericsson decided to switch to S60 and Moto seemed to be pulling out of the phone business altogether.

Were they hoping some other company would come in and use the platform on some totally new class of device?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

I thought that the Nokia Foundation (or whatever it's called) were going to use some UIQ code; will this still be possible if UIQ disappears without trace?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Unregistered

What a shame. UIQ could have been great had it been updated in line with S60. If you think about it, S60 has only really become stable/usable in the last few years. S60 is good in its own way but moving it to touch by just making bigger screens with bigger buttons on top of normal S60 is not the way for me.
Ads

Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM

rbrunner is on a distinguished road
Not so difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I thought that the Nokia Foundation (or whatever it's called) were going to use some UIQ code; will this still be possible if UIQ disappears without trace?
First, I am sceptical whether the Symbian Foundation ever really intended to use *actual* UIQ code; some quite serious technical problems could get in the way and eat up any "win" from using the code.

And even if using real code would be on the table, you needed only a few key UIQ programmers to assist you, but in no way UIQ as a complete, still-functioning company.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
nokiacraze

i think Sonyericsson G900 was the last UIQ phone released in 2008 . AAS have not reviewed it yet.