All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-11-2008, 06:52 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
The Good Beer Guide Mobile Edition

I've just come across a great little program for beer lovers - The Good Beer Guide Mobile Edition from the Campaign for Real Ale. It's a straightforward program that does exactly what it says on the box. I should say at this point that the Guide only covers the United Kingdom.

Once installed, it links to an online database to find CAMRA recommended pubs. You can search using GPS, Place Name, Postcode, Tube Station or Near Me. I think the last uses mobile phone masts.

Once the search is complete you get a list of real ale pubs in the chosen locality with symbols showing their amenities. Selecting a pub goes to a tabbed screen giving brief reviews of the pub and the beer sold together with the address, opening hours, further information and a map showing the location of the pub. This map can be zoomed to various levels. Sadly the map does not link to Nokia Maps (I think that comes under the heading wishful thinking).

The initial program costs 1 including one day's usage. Further information is subscription based at 20 per year. For that money it's probably worth thinking about buying the paper version at 10. However a neat touch is you can also buy by the day, week etc. A single day costs 1 and is well worth it if you are an unknown area and gasping for a decent pint. This is all paid for via your mobile phone account.

The program can be obtained from www.camra.co.uk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0003.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	4315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0004.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	4316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0005.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	4317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot0006.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	4318  

Last edited by Jejoma; 04-11-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Ads