All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > General > Feedback and Announcements

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old 30-10-2008, 10:41 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Smile Latest AAS Podcast - Samsung and Sony Ericsson on board?

After listening to the latest Podcast I have a question...

In the Podcast, Rafe enthuses that with the demise of UIQ, Sony Ericsson are onboard with S60 now, and the torrent of S60 devices from Samsung (well, 3 or 4?) is testament to the momentum behind S60 now.

Yet going into any local phone shop, picking up any of the mobile phone magazines, what is getting more in your face? Sure the i8510 is there getting well deserved praise... but so too is the Samsung Omnia. And the imminent arrival of the SE Xperia has the hacks slavvering.

With the Omnia and Xperia both running Windows Mobile, is it blinkered to say that both Samsung and SE are fully backing S60 and the Symbian Foundation, or simply spreading their bets? In the podcast it is mentioned that Motorola have been guilty of playing the platform game, hop, skipping and jumping between UIQ, Windows Mobile, UIQ... haven't Samsung historically done exactly the same thing (including some Palm based oddities)?

Both the i8510 and the Omnia occupy the top-end of the smartphone market and sure, you can argue the differences in the form factor is the differentiator. Or even that the i8510 is for the N96 crowd and the Omnia for the iPhone mob... but no denying they are offering two top draw phones with broadly identical functionality - yet use different OS's?

If the Xperia's successsor runs S60 v5 then OK, I'll accept the argument more, but I'm betting it will still be using a variant of Windows Mobile. And as for Sony Ericsson - will we really see a P1i successor with S60, if there is a P1i succcessor at all?

Over to you!

Last edited by morpheus2702; 30-10-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: lousy spelling