All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
iPlayer hack to work on N82 (and others)

Hi,

Found the following info elsewhere on AAS today.
I have been searching for ages so thought I would re-post in the N82 forum...

Download: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/iplayer.wgz

Method: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...goes_live_.php
To work on other handsets than n95, n96, n78:

Download the iplayer.wgz file. Rename it so it's called iplayer.zip (you might have to get Windows to show you filename extensions). Or, just open the .wgz file in WinZip or another archiver.

Extract all the files, in their folders, so you have a top level folder called iplayer, with a subfolder called iplayer, then in that, folders called css, img, js and some other files.

Open the file in the js folder that's called app-min.js - you can open in NotePad, don't use a word processor, and make sure word wrap is off in notepad.

Search for the text "n95" until you find the text: (n95|n96|n78)
After the "n78" add another vertical bar (above the \ key on a keyboard, next to the left shift key), then the user agent for your phone, which is usually just the model number, in capitals, so N82 or E70 or E71 etc, so the text now looks something like (n95|n96|n78|N82)

Save the file. Re-zip the top "iplayer" folder so you have iplayer.zip again (prob delete old archive 1st). Don't use Windows built in zipper (right click folder, send to zip archive) - unsurprisingly it doesn't zip properly and the file won't install. Use winzip, or I used jzip from http://www.jzip.com

rename the archive to iplayer.wgz and install via PC suite app installer as normal.

Note, there's stuff in the script so it only works on phones over a wifi connection (i.e. phone has to have wifi, and you have to select that connection when you run the app). So, you can install on a 6220 Classic for example with user agent "Nokia6220c" but watching progs displays a wifi only message.
Alex
phonething.com

Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 PM

strangechild is on a distinguished road
Nice one Dez - I'm nearly getting there now.

I had to enter "N82" in lower case though.

And now I have a new infuriating problem. Even though I'm connected via wifi, it tells me "Please switch to WiFi to play this programme" when I try to watch anything.

Any ideas about how to disable all the checks for wifi?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangechild View Post
Nice one Dez - I'm nearly getting there now.

I had to enter "N82" in lower case though.

And now I have a new infuriating problem. Even though I'm connected via wifi, it tells me "Please switch to WiFi to play this programme" when I try to watch anything.

Any ideas about how to disable all the checks for wifi?
Check the N95 forum which has instructions on how to enable 3G streaming in the code. If you get stuck, PM me and I will send you a pre-edited version another forum member kindly sent me.

P.S. I could only get iPlayer v1.0 to work on my N82, not the latest v1.5

Old 13-10-2008, 06:04 PM

caspar_g is on a distinguished road
I am having the same problem with the E71. I have followed the excellent instructions posted and iplayer is nearly there. Unfortunately it still says "Please switch to WiFi to play this programme". Strange thing is I am using Wifi, both for browser and realplayer. I have also tested relaplayer streaming over wifi using website http://service.real.com/test/ and it all works fine.

Any help very much appreciated,

Thanks

Caspar

Old 16-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Dez, thanks for getting back to me. I found the N95 forum posts about this where beardyweirdy mentions this:

In app-min.js, find this:
Quote:
{_state="STATE_NON_WIFI";_self.setState(_state);re turn }
And replace with this:
Quote:
{_state="STATE_IS_MEDIA_AVAILABLE";return mediaSelector.mtis(_versionPid)}
This has now got me a little further! I now get "Sorry, this programme is currently unavailable" instead of "Please switch to WiFi to play this programme".

I notice you say you couldn't get the 1.5 iPlayer to work on the N82 - is there anywhere I can get hold of the 1.0 iPlayer?

Cheers!

Old 17-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I notice you say you couldn't get the 1.5 iPlayer to work on the N82 - is there anywhere I can get hold of the 1.0 iPlayer?
PM me with your email address

Old 21-10-2008, 07:01 PM

dnaproductions is on a distinguished road
I've tried searching for vers 1.0 online could anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks

Old 24-10-2008, 07:40 PM

Hey Dez, thanks very much for the mail. Still can't get past "Sorry not available" though.

I don't understand why we're not allowed to access the iPhone iPlayer site. I've read that if you hack your user agent string it works perfectly on the N82. I just don't want to hack my phone that much, that's all...

Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 PM

dnaproductions is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the Mail it's mucho appreciated.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Hey Dez, thanks very much for the mail. Still can't get past "Sorry not available" though.

I don't understand why we're not allowed to access the iPhone iPlayer site. I've read that if you hack your user agent string it works perfectly on the N82. I just don't want to hack my phone that much, that's all...
Strange, it works for me via Wi-Fi. Have you also set RealPlayer to use your Wi-Fi connection by default?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:07 PM

ickey is on a distinguished road
Question Cannot find the app-min.js file...

Hi,

I have just downloaded this file, but when opening the .zip file, I cannot find the file named 'app-min.js' in the js folder. I can only fond one called app.js and this does not have the code that needs to be found?????? CAN YOU HELP?>

Open the file in the js folder that's called app-min.js - you can open in NotePad, don't use a word processor, and make sure word wrap is off in notepad.

Search for the text "n95" until you find the text: (n95|n96|n78)
After the "n78" add another vertical bar (above the \ key on a keyboard, next to the left shift key), then the user agent for your phone, which is usually just the model number, in capitals, so N82 or E70 or E71 etc, so the text now looks something like (n95|n96|n78|N82)

Old 04-04-2009, 08:42 PM

darenhoff is on a distinguished road
it got installed and run on N82 bios v31.0.016 withou any change to any file

Old 15-08-2009, 02:55 AM

opethian23 is on a distinguished road
@ickey

This is because you need to download the iPlayer v1.0 version (which is probably older than the one you're trying to crack). I downloaded it a month ago, but have lost the d/l link. Will post back here when I find it.

Old 15-08-2009, 03:01 AM

opethian23 is on a distinguished road
This is the link:

http://url.ie/r4e