All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-09-2008, 01:30 AM

Shis is on a distinguished road
Looking at an E51, a few quick questions

Hi guys.

I initially wanted a used N80 (on a student's budget here), but was a bit weary about a few things (a, its been 2.5 years+ plus and sort of forgotten in terms of support, and its battery is a bit too small). I'm thinking a used E51 would be my best choice. I'm in Canada, so it stinks how there's no real Nokia repair centre here.

Anyhoo, here are my questions:
a) At my school, the wifi not only has a password, but we have to go to a https site and log in for the connection to work. This causes problems in some phones (some say it has something to do with the MAC address). Can anyone shed some more light on this?
b) Is it a reliable phone? My old CDMA Nokia was a gigantic pain in the neck and I don't want that to happen in a country where there isn't a service center.
c) Any notable problems on these phones?
d) If it was between this or the N80, which would you choose? Or would you choose something else?
e) I've never seen the Rose steel in real, is it pink or brown?
f) Apparently they have different backs on them (some have circular lines, others have dotted surfaces). Is there any difference between these phones other than aesthetic?
g) I'm buying my first used phone. What questions should I ask the buyer?

For me I use my phone everyday, and rarely for calling. I use it kind of like a PDA & music player.

Thanks for reading all of this

Last edited by Shis; 13-09-2008 at 02:26 AM.

Old 16-09-2008, 08:37 PM

chucky.egg is on a distinguished road
a) I expect that's because the phones cant handle pop-up windows. Unlikely to be both WEP/WPA and MAC security at a school I think.
b) Yeah, my wife likes hers (she's not really interested in mobiles, but I make her upgrade every so often). Battery life is good. Build is generally good, although she's broken her power button
c) None that I know of
d) E51, dont like the N-series
e) Never seen one that colour
f) Probably not, but I dont know
g) Network lock status, approx age, light/med/heavy user, Name and Address (and verify these) if buying at a distance

Old 17-09-2008, 12:13 AM

That's a huge help! Thanks a lot

Just one final thing, I'm buying it in person with cash. Should I assume that it is as is, or do I at least have some recourse?

Thanks

Old 19-09-2008, 10:29 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shis View Post
That's a huge help! Thanks a lot

Just one final thing, I'm buying it in person with cash. Should I assume that it is as is, or do I at least have some recourse?

Thanks
Pretty much anything you buy second hand will be sold as seen unless you get the seller to give you any specific written guarantees. Even then you find it hard to enforce the agreement unless you are willing to go to small claims court.

Bottom line - test it before you buy it. If the seller won't let you test it don't buy it. Ask for some paperwork to go with the phone so you can have at least some confidence that it isn't stolen and won't get blocked a week after you have parted with your cash.

Last edited by xerxes; 19-09-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Old 21-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the help.

I think I'll pay a bit more for the peace of mind and get it new.
Ads