All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-08-2008, 09:50 AM

plAythiNG is on a distinguished road
Possibly buying an E71 - few questions

Hey guys, walked past the phone shop and WOW first glance at the E71, fell in love, Hmmmm hot... grey and a silver finish, and tis soo thin. look i alreayd got a killer phone, the SE W960i. Specs are pretty much all same between the two, except E71 has gps / HSDPA, 2 options i dont even use, but the w960i has a touchscreen which is better for my uses. But i want to get it as a second phone, more as a fashion item! Got a few questions

1) Is it loud? the W960i is the loudest phone i have ever used, call quality is superb, as well as the vibration option, and when the phone rings, very very loud. how i like it

2) on the w960i, when i have a missed call, or recevied a message, it will flash green to let me know i have an alert without me even checking the phone. Does the E71 do this also? [i knoe the Nokia 6300 flashes blue in this same manner] Also how is battery life, this is with BT off, 3G off, say about 10 x 3 minute calls a day, and about 30 SMS sent daily, no use on internet or WLAN whatso ever? i knoe the battery is strong than compared to the W960i.

3) How responsive is the phone, does it hang at all, or is it quick and efficient?
Ads

Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 PM

Andrew Brown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by plAythiNG View Post
Hey guys, walked past the phone shop and WOW first glance at the E71, fell in love, Hmmmm hot... grey and a silver finish, and tis soo thin. look i alreayd got a killer phone, the SE W960i. Specs are pretty much all same between the two, except E71 has gps / HSDPA, 2 options i dont even use, but the w960i has a touchscreen which is better for my uses. But i want to get it as a second phone, more as a fashion item! Got a few questions

1) Is it loud? the W960i is the loudest phone i have ever used, call quality is superb, as well as the vibration option, and when the phone rings, very very loud. how i like it

2) on the w960i, when i have a missed call, or recevied a message, it will flash green to let me know i have an alert without me even checking the phone. Does the E71 do this also? [i knoe the Nokia 6300 flashes blue in this same manner] Also how is battery life, this is with BT off, 3G off, say about 10 x 3 minute calls a day, and about 30 SMS sent daily, no use on internet or WLAN whatso ever? i knoe the battery is strong than compared to the W960i.

3) How responsive is the phone, does it hang at all, or is it quick and efficient?
Having used mine for nearly 2 weeks now;

1) Yes it is loud - very loud! Im comparing this with other Nokias that I own (E90, N958GB and E61i).

2) There are audible, visual and vibrating alert for messages. Visual alerts for missed calls (missed call notified by pop up message on screen) The D-Pad key is also back light and flashes to notify of missed calls and messages (i think).
Battery is very good. Mine has not dropped below 50% so far during 'moderate' use; average 20 emails plus continuos (every 5mins) of poling for new messages. 10 minutes of camera use, 1 hour sat nav, 1 hour web surfing and viewing documents, oh and 3 hours worth of calls.

3) I find it very responsive. Navigating menus and starting programs are pretty much instantaneous. By comparison, my E90 is quick, but the E71 is noticibly quicker.

Hope that helps - try one and see for yourself - its the only way to be sure.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
there is a blinking light for missed calls and texts. it uses the breathing light ring around the Dpad blinking light. a very nice and classy feature.

no, the loudspeaker volume is HORRIBLY quiet! the earpiece volume is very good though when using the phone regularly. but the speakerphone or loudspeaker volume just sucks very badly.