All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-06-2008, 08:06 AM
haekon

i really have to know. is audio quality in n78 better than n82 through earphones? please tell me this based on your actual experience. thanks.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I had been playing with N78 today for about 15 minutes, and I must say I'm impressed. Great quality, and I like 3,5mm jakck for headphones I'll get it and buy 8gb microsd card and use it as my music phone.
But the biggest drawback isn't the keypad. It's fingerprints. They are everywhere. I own now 6120 classic and I really hate them to clean my phone everyday.
Overall the N78 should be a bestseller imo.
Cheers.
Yes it definitely does attract finger prints. The black colour helps, but only in as much as fingerprints are less obvious at first glance.

Quote:
Stefan C said in his brief review that the audio quality (when listening to music) was better than in N82. Do you hear any difference?

Henrikki (TheBlueNile)
I can't say I can hear a big difference, but I'll try and do some comparisons.

Quote:
Hmmm. The N78 is inferior in every way to the N82 and yet the N82 can be had new off EBay for around 250 plus or minus about 30, compared to the 300 for the N78 you quote above.
Sorry, but what is the advantage of an N78???
S60 3.2, size, style and performance are the reasons people would choose an N78 (assuming equal pricing). Of course the price will go down and will probably settle below that on the N82 in a 4 months or so.

Quote:
What kind of improvements are there with this new version of S60?
I'll be doing a specific piece on this.

Quote:
Is the call log fixed?
Not sure what you mean. Its the same call log as previous S60 3rd Edition phones.

Quote:
I agree with this point. It would be great if someone can come up with an article (or point us to one) highlighting what new, better or improved in S60 9.3.
Watch this space.

Quote:
Could anyone that have used N78 or any other Feature Pack 2 device comment about the new Access Point handling. How automatic is it if I have set up a couple of WLAN networks and 3G as a last choise. I've heard that the new WLAN Wizard checks if it can make connection to internet when searching for open WLANs. Does this work properly?

=)juha
Essentially it has three group access points - Internet, MMS and WAP. In those destinations you can put as many access points as you like and prioritise them. Thus if you have WLAN networks first it will use those where available. The caveat is that not all application use the new groups.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 AM

sparx104 is on a distinguished road
What's the battery life like? Also, as someone who got the N95 as soon as it came out - it is stable or are we going to have to wait for several firmware updates for that?

The call log problem is that all calls are shown as from a mobile in the log, even if they are from other sources (ie. home, business)

Finally, does it charge from USB?

Old 04-06-2008, 10:57 AM

bjornb is on a distinguished road
The batterylife is noticably better that the N95 (I have no numbers though). It is pretty stable, more stable than the N95 when it was released (I also own the N95 for over a year now).
The call log icon problem is still there..

It does not charge through the micro usb connector.

BTW, maybe this thread should be moved to the N78 category?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Unregistered

Sound quality (my opinion)

Just a quick note:

I tried a N78 vs. my N82 for sound quality. I used a pair of Shure ES 530's as the test headphones. if anyone knows headphones, the ES530's are top of the line and very accurate. I could hear no discernable difference. From jazz, to classical, pop (yuck), and alternative, the sound was about the same. No need to upgrade just for the music player.

By the way, Psiloc has a product called connect, that will allow you to create multiple access points, and then prioritize them. All applications see the one Psiloc access point (be it WLAN, 3G, etc...) and deteremines which is the better option to use. It costs but it is very robust.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Tom (Unreg)

Two quick questions on the N78:

1 - Does the MicroSD support SDHC cards?
2 - Does the GPS require the phone to be connected to the internet to operate, or will it work regardless of connection (in the UK)? (I'm sure I read that the N95 GPS needed to connect before GPS worked)

Many thanks,

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 PM

sparx104 is on a distinguished road
music

the n95 would connect if using assisted gps for a fast fix. This can be disabled so i would assume so here.

Another question, the n95 supports protected wma files (i use it with a napster subscription), does the n78?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:08 AM

bjornb is on a distinguished road
It supports SDHC cards, I use a Sandisk 8GB microsdhc in my n78.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 AM

mantrinilesh is on a distinguished road
in some contries Fm transmitter is disabled any ideas about product codes then

Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Does the MicroSD support SDHC cards?
I believe ALL new Nokia smartphones support SDHC, and some of the older models have had SDHC support added through firmware updates too.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Unregistered

N78 Gps

I'd like to confirm that the n78 GPS will work without a sim card in it ie. no service provider network. This is similar in operation to the N82's GPS. I tried the n78 out at a store close by.

Old 23-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Saaboy is on a distinguished road
What is the fastest way for one to 'copy' and 'paste' text, for example, in and out of a text message on these phones?

Old 25-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Unregistered

What?? How did you make your N78 stand up?!

Old 29-07-2008, 04:39 PM
spiddan

Youtube...

Can i watch youtube on N78 [by wifi] ?
And when will it be available in Malta [Europe]

Old 29-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'd like to confirm that the n78 GPS will work without a sim card in it ie. no service provider network. This is similar in operation to the N82's GPS. I tried the n78 out at a store close by.
Yes it will work. No A-GPS though without a sim card, which means longer lock on times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaboy View Post
What is the fastest way for one to 'copy' and 'paste' text, for example, in and out of a text message on these phones?
Hold down the hash key, move the direction pad and choose copy from the softkey. Note this only works for editable text. For a message you have received use forward and copy from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What?? How did you make your N78 stand up?!
Its standing on the memory card slot door.