All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Blinkey! is on a distinguished road
Question E90 SDHC Card Compatibility

Hi

Does anyone know if the E90 is compatible with the new SDHC (high capacity) memory cards?

Also what is the maximum capacity they can hold/read from/write to?

Many thanks

Old 13-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi Blinkey!

Yes they are SDHC compatible and currently run 8GB cards with no problems and should run the larger cards as and when they become available.

Marc

Old 13-05-2008, 08:09 PM

cedesguin is on a distinguished road
I confirm, E90 accepts SDHC cards. Note that most PC slots for memory cards won't accept them (it's a completely different technology). However some card manufacturers (Sandisk) supply a minuscule SDHC2USB adapter. With this accessory, you can access the card from the PC just as you do with a regular USB key.

Old 15-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Blinkey! is on a distinguished road
Cheers Guys. I've just found a 4Gb SDHC card on Ebay with free USB card reader/pen drive so that should get over the PC reading the card issue!
Many thanks.

Old 15-05-2008, 03:29 PM

confucious is on a distinguished road
How much? I just paid 13 for a 4Gb card, a reader would have set me back another 4 but I already have one.

Old 15-05-2008, 08:40 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
I have just bought an 8GB card, and it works fine. I would be very careful about buying cheap cards off eBay; there arev plenty of fake cards out there, which look like the real thing but certainly don't work like it. I always buy SanDisk cards, and have never had any problems...

Old 15-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Maybe so. I tend to buy from main dealers these days but when new sizes come out eBay is often the only place you can get them. I've never had any problems with cards bought from eBay - unless you count spending 100 on a 1Gb card a problem....

Old 27-05-2008, 07:59 AM

wecaz is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Hey friends,
Would you please tell how much capacity and which class (2 or 4 or 6) SDHC card you are using? I want to know max running capacity and class before purchasing.

Does it support SDHC card of any max capacity?

Old 27-05-2008, 08:12 PM

If it supports SDHC (which it does) then you are only limited by SDHC which I think has a max capacity (theoretical) of 32Gb
The class refers to the speed at which it can be read - I doubt weather a phone can read faster than class 2 bit having a faster class card would not cause a problem (but wouldn't be any faster)

Old 31-05-2008, 10:31 PM

jmvdinis is on a distinguished road
Nokia say's: "Extendible up to 4GB with microSD Memory Card" refering to E90 memory...

I am using a 8Gb SDHC from Sandisk and waiting for the 32Gb... I will tell you when I get it!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:11 AM

I posted the following on the Nokia forum:

Quote:
Has anyone had the following problem? When I try to change a ringtone or alarm, the list of music files usually fails to load, due to the sheer number of music files on my phone (I have an 8GB card with quite a lot of MP3s on it). The easiest solution is to make sure that all of my alarm/ringtone files are stored in the phone memory, and then to remove the memory card before trying to change an alarm or ringtone.

There is another solution for ringtones, which is to use Gallery (which is usually pretty slow in itself), and then to use the Use Tone menu item, to allocate a track as a ringtone to a contact. However, this approach does not work for alarms, as it is not possible to set a tone as an alarm from within Gallery.

The question is, am I missing something somewhere, or is the S60 approach of creating a single list of all music files on the phone simply not able to deal with a large number of files? If this is the case, it kind of makes a mockery of the idea that an S60 can be used as a fully-fledged music player...
When I had no response, I contacted Nokia Care about this matter. They responded quickly, and I was pretty surpirsed with the answer. I was told that the new E90 FW officially only supports microSDHC upto 4GB. If files (in my case, music files) are stored in an area which the phone cannot fully access for some reason, then unpredictable things might happen.

I have my doubts about this being the answer to my question, as it seems to me that S60 (or my E90 at least) simply can't populate the file selector list when there are too many files on the memory card. However, it is interesting that Nokia are not claiming that all sizes of microSDHC cards are guaranteed to work with the E90....

Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Isn't it only the new firmware that lists gallery items in one big list rather than in folders?
And there is a limit to the number you can list.
So you can't use a filling system to store things logically.
I think I might follow Nokia's example and just store everything in the root directory on my C drive on my computer......

D'Oh!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 PM

The problem I was having was to select a new ringtone. I have a small number of alarms and ringtones stored in the phone memory. When I try to allcoate a new ringtone in ie. Contacts or in the Personalisation area of Settings, my E90 tries to create a single list of all music files in the phone memory AND on the SD card, and then fails. When I remove my memory card, I can select the ringtones in the phone memory without any problems, leading me to the conclusion that S60, my E90 or its latest firmware simply can't cope with the sheer number of music files present on my 8GB card...

Although Gallery is slow, it eventually creates a list of all music files present on the phone and the memory card...
Ads