All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 13-05-2008, 02:04 PM

ares is on a distinguished road
Funny thing is that the review in general is well balanced, but its spoiled by some errors, like the one mentioned.

It makes me remember when ricky was on a recent AAS podcast, and you all went on and on and on about how the perfect touchscreen device would have a touchscreen, but also a dpad and numerical keypad, to alow one handed operation. Well...that was quite right...but strangely no one could remember SE is gonna launch in less than one month 2 devices that are precisely that (G700 and G900). So yes, sometimes i think you guys are so focused on nokia and s60 stuff that forget important things from the other side of symbian, even if not intentionaly.

Old 13-05-2008, 05:38 PM

rcadden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares View Post
Funny thing is that the review in general is well balanced, but its spoiled by some errors, like the one mentioned.

It makes me remember when ricky was on a recent AAS podcast, and you all went on and on and on about how the perfect touchscreen device would have a touchscreen, but also a dpad and numerical keypad, to alow one handed operation. Well...that was quite right...but strangely no one could remember SE is gonna launch in less than one month 2 devices that are precisely that (G700 and G900). So yes, sometimes i think you guys are so focused on nokia and s60 stuff that forget important things from the other side of symbian, even if not intentionaly.
You know what, I remember that podcast. Honestly, I *think* it was before the G700 adn G900 were announced, but no matter. I've said to plenty of people, the absolute best form factor of any handset that I've touched was the SE P910a. If it had a d-pad and dedicated end/send keys, got updated in the features (cam, data speeds, etc) and was slimmed down a bit, i'd still buy it in a heartbeat. The combination of a touchscreen, regular keypad, and QWERTY just hasn't been beat yet. Here's hoping SE (or someone) re-does the design sometime soon.

Old 14-05-2008, 05:19 AM

kurt_karun is on a distinguished road
Well...the G900 and G700, to some extent, show that SE is on the right track. The performance of these devices will go a long way in bringing UIQ into the forefront.
Ads

Old 14-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I'd agree about the G700 and G900, though I would say that they are more mid tier devices than high end. Until I've actually tried one I'll hold off saying too much... We'll be sure to have a review on AAS as soon as possible.

Be very interesting to see what comes next from Sony Ericsson, especially with versions of UIQ that are optimised for that (3.2).