All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-02-2008, 12:09 AM

gazznsam is on a distinguished road
E70, 7 U J and M keys dead

My E70 has decided to play up today,

i went to enter a note on it, so fliped it open, selected notepad, and began to type on the qwerty keyboard,

At first every time i pressed the letter Y, it typed YUY, pressing H got me HJH, and N got me NMN.

I turned the phone off and back on, still did it,

Got home, turned it off, took battery out for 5 mins, powered it back up.

Not the Y H an N keys only give me those letters, BUT now the 7 U J and M keys dont respond at all.

they don't do anything at all, wont take the phone out of standby or owt.

does it look like a mechanical fault... i.e. a circuit trace gone, or a component blown,

or could this be a software problem,

I got the phone second hand, it had the origional version 1. something firmware on it,
I updated it to the latest available on the nokia updater thingy, version 2. something, and since then the joystick has been iffy at times, one direction is dead untill i press the joystick in, then all directions will work,

I've read that other phones the joystick thing was a software fault and not a hardware fault.... could i have a similar problem with my 7 U J and M keys??

Or if it looks to be hardware, any ideas how much it'd cost to get it fixed? typical it'd happen now, just moving into a my first flat, so money is very tight, had planned to use the phone to send mms's mesages to family to stay in touch, being cheaper than a phone call as theres no landline in the flat yet, and i may not even get one, but i can't get on with the text style input, which is why i got this phone,
Ads