All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Phone Galleries from MWC 2008

Ahead of our device previews here are a number of image galleries, with the usual commentary, of the 8 Symbian OS powered devices which were announced last week at Mobile World Congress 2008. The Nokia N96 (high end Nseries), Nokia N78 (entry level Nseries), Nokia 6210 (navigation focused), Nokia 6220 (mid tier all rounder), Sony Ericsson G700 and G900 (the first mid tier UIQ 3 phones), Samsung G810 (camera focused high end slider) and LG KS610 (mid tier QWERTY clamshell).

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-02-2008, 07:10 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
I think the 6220 Classic is tremendously significant, and to a large extent other mid and low end smartphones. It is these, not the high end flashy handsets, that will really bring smartphone power to the masses and help usher in the next generation of "personal computers".

The N95 has done extremely well (over a million in the UK alone). Think how much more successful will phones be that present themselves as just regular phones, but with attractive capabilities, at regular prices, to the average consumer? That's all most people want, and many actually shy away from the perceived added complexity, flashyness and price of a "smart"phone, or "NSeries".

The 6220 is basically the power of an N95 in a 6120 Classic package, and that is a fantastic thing to sneak under the radar and into people's pockets. Because then you can tell them
"You know you can plug that into a TV and browse the web on a big screen?"
"You know that's a camcorder?"
"You know you can install this software and edit office documents?"
"You know you can plug this into your TV and watch movies?"

This all ties in with Krisse's Last Smartphone article (http://allaboutsymbian.com/features/...Smartphone.php) - bring real power to the masses.

Alex
phonething.com

Old 18-02-2008, 08:15 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Just a couple of suggestions on how to improve your great site even furhter: It would be great if you could include in your pic galleries "next" & "previous" buttons. A slideshow option would be even better. Also, when there are more comments than you can fit on the first page of an article, clicking on "more comments" shows you the first ones too. The same when you click on "more news" at the bottom of the home page..

Just so that this is not taken the wrong way: AAS is THE site I always check first thing in the morning. Real Symbian expertise rather than some of those self proclaimed experts in various blogs.. ;-)

Old 18-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Whoa, hold up. The 6210 has FP1 and not 2? Whats that all about?

Why on earth would they do that, seeing as its also set for a Q3 release?

Thats very annoying, Im at a loss to see why they have done that.

Edit: Rafe, are you sure its FP1, or is that a typo? The pictures look very FP2 to me, especially the one where it says The 6210 runs S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 which brings a number of improvements.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 18-02-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Old 18-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
ajck - agree on the 6220. It really impresses me that less than 18 months after the N95 was announced the same specifications are in a mid tier phone. It makes it hard to keep up In some ways the 6220 was the stand out phone for me in the longer term strategic sense, although each of the new phones have their points (Nseries for software integration and Ovi implementation, 6210 for its magnetometer / size improvement).

viipottaja - thanks for the feedback, it is really appreciated (please keep it coming). The gallery ones I've added to my list (completely agree, will see how hard it is to implement) and I've already been working on the comment stuff (which is even more necessary).

bartmanekul - yes sorry a typo, all the new Nokia's are FP2.

Old 19-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Ajck, totally agree, the 6220 is definitely the most significant announcement. It's a shame the phone press is so obsessed with Nseries, they're missing the real story when it comes to Nokia phones.

It's a huge package of useful hardware, in a very user-friendly shell (nice large buttons!), and at a mid-range price. It's half of what the N95 cost when it launched, and will probably be available for nothing on even the cheapest phone contracts. Even sim-free, 300 euros is a much more plausible purchase than the 600 - 700 euros that the N95 launched for.

We'll probably see budget phones with this kind of hardware much sooner than we realise, in perhaps five years or less. Things like GPS and television-quality camcorders will become as standard as text messaging, and that's when things will start to get very interesting indeed.

I think GPS will definitely become a part of everyday lives, it's so darn useful no matter where you live and no matter what you do. There's absolutely nothing techie about wanting to find out where you are on a map at any point in time, in many ways it's a basic human need.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 19-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Incidentally, does anyone know what that cross button is on the side of the 6220?

You can see it in this picture:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/galle...8914158&page=1

Old 19-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Jonek

I don't think it is a button. It lights up when the GPS has a signal. I agree totally this is a extremely interesting phone.

Old 19-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

If I knew this would have a decent car holder (i.e. charge from it) it would be top of the list. Sadly, Im betting it doesnt.

But the 6220 classic really is an amazing phone. All it seems to be missing is wifi. Which from my expirence, for most people that buy the phone wont matter much.

Im quite amazed what they have packed in there, especially when you think of the N95 dimensions.

Old 19-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Founder / Chief

I agree on the 6220 too. In broader terms its one of the most significant phones of MWC - which is what I'll be saying in my preview (after I've done the Nseries - shiny stuff first, sober stuff second).

I reckon the 6220 is making other manufacturers cry.... I can imagine the meeting now....

"So Nokia announced a new phone eh?"
"Yes, 5mpx camera with Xenon flash"
"Oh right another Nseries then?"
"No its a mid tier device... Did I mention it has a GPS and accelerometer too".
"Must be a bit pricey"
"Not really.. 350 Eur"
"So basically its an N95 in a feature phone position. Sob."

Old 19-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

It doesnt look too bad either. Far cry from the N95.

If nokia somehow put some style into it, like motorola, it would be a stone winner.

And by style I dont mean the rather odd 8xxx series (why do they give them so few features?), Im thinking motorola razor, pebl etc.

Old 19-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If nokia somehow put some style into it, like motorola, it would be a stone winner.
Well, this is always difficult because different people have different tastes. I think they're positioning the 6220 as a "no nonsense" phone which looks very traditional and solid, hence the large buttons and clear typeface on the buttons.

If you make it stylish, some people will love it but others will get put off buying it, because they don't want anything flash. From what I understand the 3110 (which looks very similar to the 6220) has been a great success, so they're possibly touting this as a logical upgrade for 3110 owners.

BUT... having said all that... it's high time that Nokia put S60 in a fashion phone, something that has both brains and looks. All their fashion phones so far have been Series 40, but if S60 is getting so cheap and compact, why not have an S60 fashion model? I think someone posted on here a long time ago that Nokia should bring out an Fseries, which would be S60 models with the emphasis on nice casings and design.

Old 19-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Traditional, solid...true. But I bet it still doesnt convince the die hard 6210/6310 users to ditch them.

The 'F series' sounds like a good idea indeed. Probably not something Id go for, as even with S60 I still cant see it having all the functions I want.
Ads