All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM
kpn

Sweet this is a lot better than previous version, performance when zooming in and out is a lot faster and im loving the new options, seemed to find me fast aswell? Normally my gps takes 15 seconds took 5 this time.. hmm

Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 AM

sparx104 is on a distinguished road
Re. one time payment vs. yearly.

My brother bought a Tomtom stand alone unit (can't remember the model) for about 200 quid. Nokia charge 50 quid a year for the maps, so I get 4 years for the same price as his unit.

He will have bought a new unit within 4 years as the maps will be out of date and the unit will be unsupported and may not work. Of course, I will have a new phone by then but can either change the license or just renew on the new phone, not the old one.

Seems like good value to me. The more low cost subscription services we have vs. high one off payments the better. I actually just pay for a month when I need it instead of paying per year.

However, the app works well on my original N95 - even picking up the previous subscription. Certainly seems faster than the old one. UI is more cluttered tho - the search box and such like could really be hidden.

Old 14-02-2008, 03:33 PM

andrew.gill is on a distinguished road
Cost of navigation in Nokia Maps 2.0 beta

Hi

I've upgraded to version 2.0 and had a real shock when looking at the costs for navigation

1 years 'drive and walk' navigation for the UK is now GBP52.23; from memory this seems much much higher than before.

Can anyone verify this?

andrew

Old 16-02-2008, 06:28 AM

gavc_uk is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tested this app?

I've just driven from Swindon to south of Paris and had continuous problems with it. It appears to have trouble holding onto enough GPS signal and constantly thinks you are on an adjacent road. unusable in this version for me. I'm going to uninstall and go back to the older version which seemed more stable. We'll see.
Ads

Old 16-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Im still waiting for peoples opinions on how good the routing is.

Also, Id like opinions on how good the voice instructions are.

Old 16-02-2008, 08:43 AM

"Stay on this motorway for a while" made me laugh!

I found the instructions ok when the GPS and software worked together to give something other than "Not on a road" or "Calculating route"

The software seemed able to follow my location on the correct road when in the normal map mode but switch to navigation and if falls over.

Last edited by gavc_uk; 16-02-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Old 16-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavc_uk View Post
"Stay on this motorway for a while" made me laugh!
It actually said that??

Perhaps they are trying to make it a bit more 'human', instead of saying something like 'in 34.5 miles, take the exit'.

One of the ones I tried - navicore I think - had an absoloutly cringworthy bunch of messages at the end.

When you reached your destination, it would come up with such gems as 'Your mobile phone congratulates you on completing your journey' and 'There, that wasnt so bad was it?'

Fortunatly, it really wasnt very good software anyway. But Id have to have got rid either way, it was just too cheesy.

One thing Id like them to impliment, is finding full postcodes without having to connect. If the only reason for this is so that you get the latest from their database, Id rather be able to connect to PC and it tell me theres an update (ala tomtom home style).

Old 16-02-2008, 08:49 PM

I'll be driving an hour into Paris tomorrow so we will see how that goes on 1.0

Old 17-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Should it be working with the E61?

Tried to load onto E61 but it didn't install. Should it work with this phone?
Even uninstalled V1 and then tried but got the message "Install base first"??? or something very much like it.

Old 19-02-2008, 07:25 PM

My one hour drive into Paris with V1 went very smoothly indeed. I saw none of the problems experienced on V2.

However, on the return leg I couldn't grab a signal at all.

On my 45 minute drive to Disneyland yesterday all was well and I only had some hassles on the drive home where it would do the "not on a road" trick or think it's on an adjacent road.

The second "bug" is extremely annoying as it will tend to occur when you are close to a junction (and therefore need the instructions most)

I wondered if it was simply that the GPS in the N95 is rubbish. However, this doesn't explain how Route 66 appears to work fine even though it's interface is not the choice of many.

For me V2 unusable, V1 better but still with problems.