All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-01-2008, 10:57 AM

helenjolliffe is on a distinguished road
Angry n95 sat nav set up

Please Help, I have had my n95 for 6 months, I have - under the advice of my ex boyfriend - purchased tomtom navigator 6 software and maps for pc, then i purchased a bluetooth gps receiver (as he told me that using the one on my n95 will drain battery too much to use as a sat nav in my car)

So i have all these things and before he could set it all up he dumped me!

So i have no idea how to set it all up so that i can have sat nav with voice trun by turn in my car.

Please can someone take pity on a blonde who has recently been dumped and needs help!

Thanks

Old 23-01-2008, 11:38 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
Hey, sorry I can't help you in this issue as I'm content using my N95 builtin GPS (just get a car power adapter).

But FYI, posting that you are a now single blonde female is not a good idea in my eyes because now you're going to get flooded with messages. A good analogy would be: you're going to be like a beautiful blonde getting gangb... wait errr no,, uhmm it's going to be like a new hard drive hot-swapped in a RAID configuration.

Old 23-01-2008, 11:49 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Should just be a simple case of:
-Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable in 'mass storage mode' (it should ask what mode when you connect it)
-Run the TomTom CD and it will detect and install to your phone for you.
-Once it's done, disconnect the phone
-Run TomTom from the phone and it will take you through a wizard to find your GPS device and set up language etc.
-That's it!

He is right about battery drain with internal GPS but more of an issue is that TomTom6 doesn't support it anyway.

Last edited by 3Shirts; 23-01-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Old 23-01-2008, 11:49 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Maybe we can discuss this over dinner tonight? Only messing.

I don't have this software personally (I'm waiting for tomtom 7 to come out... oh, and some wheels to navigate in!) but I would imagine that the first thing you would need to do is download the maps and program onto your phone. Use the CD that came with the software on and get it installed on your PC, connect your phone to it using the USB cable and download your maps and software.

Next, pair up the phone with the external GPS. In the menu, go to Tools -> Bluetooth (it may be in your connectivity folder depending on your firmware), turn on your external GPS and setup a new paired device on your phone. Find the GPS and connect to it. If a passcode is required, it'll be listed in the external GPS instruction manual.

Now that they're paired, keep the external GPS on the dashboard of your car where it can "see" the sky clearly, and load TomTom. If I'm right (and TomTom is as good as people say) it should detect that it's connected to a GPS receiver and start locking on to satellites.

This link to their FAQ pages may help as well:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/produc...401&Language=1

Best of luck!

[EDIT] Eek, looks like waxup was right

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 23-01-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Old 23-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Ahhhh, pooor lass but are you really a fat bloke in a string vest?

seriously though, dont you have the set up instructions with your box?? The data is all on the memory card, and tomtom home sets up on your pc.

Easiest way is probably for you to go to tomtom website or look at the installation poster

LOL@above posts too...

Old 23-01-2008, 12:31 PM

helenjolliffe is on a distinguished road
Smile Thanks for the advice - will be testing it tonight

Thanks for all your help - I will be trying it out tonight when i get home after work - will let you know how i got on.

(Sorry not free for dinner!)

Helen

p.s. definately not a bloke in a string vest!

Old 23-01-2008, 12:48 PM

fiddles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenjolliffe View Post

OOooh a blonde in a string vest, now that is painting a pretty picture in my mind bit chilly I bet this time of year

Old 23-01-2008, 03:15 PM

digitaldanuk is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenjolliffe View Post
Thanks for all your help - I will be trying it out tonight when i get home after work - will let you know how i got on.

(Sorry not free for dinner!)

Helen

Why do you need a sat nav anyway? Aren't all women supposed to be natural navigators? Especially blonde ones?

Old 23-01-2008, 05:51 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
hey, i think you were given some bad advice. you do not need a bluetooth gps receiver, there is one inside the n95. the bluetooth will drain your battery quicker than just using the internal gps. and why would you want more things to carry anyway? stick with the internal gps and you are good to go. oh and i think garmin is better than tomtom, but others disagree, and you already own tomtom.

oh wait, i forgot tomtom cannot use the internal gps. but garmin can, as well as nokia maps. but you are DEFINITELY going to have worse battery life using that bluetooth gps receiver instead of using the internal gps receiver in the n95.

Old 23-01-2008, 06:08 PM

beefyn70 is on a distinguished road
any problems Helenjolliffe send me a pm and I'll try and sort it out for you.

Tomtom dosen't use the internal gps - so you had to buy an external gps .Its an extra lead and another piece of equipment to carry round but its not the biggest problem you'll ever have.

For 10 or so you will be able to pick up a good holder for your car so you can mount the phone where you get a good view. I use one from the Carphone Warehouse that has a window suction mount and a flexible arm so the holder sits where you can see it - cost 10 .

An in car charger costs from a 5 for a non branded model to 20 for a Nokia branded one . Your choice - I use both and see no real difference.

Never leave your GPS receiver in the car or your phone - but you know that anyway.

Old 23-01-2008, 07:01 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
hey, i think you were given some bad advice. you do not need a bluetooth gps receiver, there is one inside the n95.
That's true, but TomTom Navigator 6 isn't compatible with the built-in GPS. Version 7 is compatible though, but whether it will come out or not is another matter.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 23-01-2008, 09:47 PM

robgreb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
but you are DEFINITELY going to have worse battery life using that bluetooth gps receiver instead of using the internal gps receiver in the n95.
Is this based on evidence, or just a guess?

I've just measured power consumption using external and internal GPS receivers (same application: Navicore). While there's not a lot in it, the internal device uses more juice.

Old 23-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
As long as you dont mind using a bluetooth GPS, you have the best symbian satnav solution currently available. Subjective opinion maybe, but then I have tried every commercial (non data intensive) one available for symbian, and test them well.

As for batterylife, well you can get dual car cigarette splitters for next to nothing on ebay, allowing you to run both a charger to your N95 and bluetooth GPS unit at the same time, never having to worry about batterylife.

Old 23-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi Helen

You have chosen IMO one of the best if not the best Sat Nav solutions for your N95 and shouldn't need to charge the external GPS whilst in use any way. As most have very good battery life if your going to use it every day just charge it last thing at night and it should easily last a day of use no problem. If you get stuck or have any problems just feel free to ask, also there is no need to pair the GPS receiver in advance as in the Tom Tom set up it asks you if you want to pair it with a Tom Tom GPS or other make.

Marc

Old 23-01-2008, 11:07 PM

beefyn70 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
As long as you dont mind using a bluetooth GPS, you have the best symbian satnav solution currently available. Subjective opinion maybe, but then I have tried every commercial (non data intensive) one available for symbian, and test them well.

As for batterylife, well you can get dual car cigarette splitters for next to nothing on ebay, allowing you to run both a charger to your N95 and bluetooth GPS unit at the same time, never having to worry about batterylife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmann View Post
Hi Helen

You have chosen IMO one of the best if not the best Sat Nav solutions for your N95 and shouldn't need to charge the external GPS whilst in use any way. As most have very good battery life if your going to use it every day just charge it last thing at night and it should easily last a day of use no problem. If you get stuck or have any problems just feel free to ask, also there is no need to pair the GPS receiver in advance as in the Tom Tom set up it asks you if you want to pair it with a Tom Tom GPS or other make.

Marc
I would fully endorse the above comments. However you feel about your ex he has set you up with a first class navigation system and I'm sure with the amount of experience thats on this forum you will have it up and running in no time.
I use tomtom navigator 6 and a N95 to guide me round the UK in a 44 ton lorry every weekend .It hasn't let me down yet and as long as the postcodes I get are the correct ones it saves lots of time and money.