All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 AM

theTdR is on a distinguished road
is there a FOTA server (for creating a device mangement profile, my phone camen with none) for updating sim-free firmware (software)?
Or do you know any place where can i get a sim-free firmware update?

cheers

Old 05-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTdR View Post
is there a FOTA server (for creating a device mangement profile, my phone camen with none) for updating sim-free firmware (software)?
Or do you know any place where can i get a sim-free firmware update?

cheers
There are no new firmwares currently available for the Z8

Old 23-03-2008, 12:14 AM

mattpoon is on a distinguished road
task manager

if i do not wish to install the swiss manager.. how do i usually kill off an application, because pressing home and end call do not work for me, and kill off my battery
thank you

Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM

chadbulloch is on a distinguished road
Question

hi there.

i am looking for any advice regarding themes on the phone (motorola z8)
i got really bored of the 2 standard themes so i found a few on the internet and downloaded them and saved them onto the phone, now this is where the problem comes in, i have absolutely no idea how to get the phone to recognise the skin/theme. when i go into the thems in the settings it still only displayed the two standard ones and if i try save the skin in an alternate location, it doesnt seem to make a difference

please any help wud be greatly appreciated

Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM

D4n958GB is on a distinguished road
I thought that there is a newer version of this phone, z11? Or am I seeing things lol??

Old 05-06-2008, 11:38 PM

patrixl is on a distinguished road
mattpoon: I don't think there's any other way to end applications

chadbulloch: go in the file manager and "view" the themes, it'll offer you an option to install them.

d4n958GB: Z10 came out recently, at least in the UK.

Patrix

Old 03-11-2008, 03:06 PM

slamm is on a distinguished road
Hey everyone. I just registered on this site a few minutes ago and thought I'd try to make a contribution. I know a few of the questions in this thread are really old by now but I noticed some of them are still unanswered. Hopefully I can provide some answers as I've been around the block and back with my z8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar3803 View Post
...Dont know if the z8 is supposed to do this, When i switch the phone on it asks for my pin, i leave it for a few seconds then it proceeds to boot to the home screen, from there i can access all my txt's and contact info etc etc all without entering a pin code! The only thing i cant do is make a call as it prompts me for pin.

Surely this cant be normal as most other device's dont let you get anywhere near personal info without the pin!-Is this a security breech in moto's os maybe?
This is not a security issue. A sim pin code isn't actually meant to block a phone, merely restrict access to the sim. All the other phones have it wrong lol. The Nokia 6085 works the same. Without a pin you can't access any network functions like sending sms, making calls, using internet, access info stored on sim like contacts and sms etc. but you can access the phone itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat View Post
...is it true you cannot put a pin code or a password on to it to stop someone from reading your messages. I had before that a v3i and this was no problem ,you could also put a password onto v anything on the phone.I look forward to hear from you.
Unfortunately this is true. And its the feature I miss most about my last phone. However, because this phone runs an OS there are various applications that can be integrated to address this issue with minimal hassle, unlike the java based v3i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricko View Post
...I want to change my Phone name in Bluetooth, but when I go to menu and back is default name Z8 Phone !
And I cant do anything with that, its still the same name :/ I tried everything....
There's a glitch with certain firmwares that require you to turn your bluetooth on before you can change the name. You probably have one of these firmwares. So turn your bluetooth on, change the name, save the settings and turn your bluetooth off again. The name should stick now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark View Post
There are no new firmwares currently available for the Z8
New firmware was released subsequent to this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadbulloch View Post
...i got really bored of the 2 standard themes so i found a few on the internet and downloaded them and saved them onto the phone, now this is where the problem comes in, i have absolutely no idea how to get the phone to recognise the skin/theme. when i go into the thems in the settings it still only displayed the two standard ones and if i try save the skin in an alternate location, it doesnt seem to make a difference
Simply copying the theme to your phone won't do anything. You have to install them.
Locate the theme file on your phone or memory card, click view, options, install (or at least I think those are the option names lol, typing this off the top of my head). The themes should appear in the themes list now and you can use them in setting up your new profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4n958GB View Post
I thought that there is a newer version of this phone, z11? Or am I seeing things lol??
Its the z10 lol. Its uiq 3.2 on top of symbian 9.2. The planned semi touch screen 5mp uiq 3.3 z12 is likely to be scrapped with the death of uiq and motorolas new interest in android.

Sorry for the long post lol. I didnt wanna spam and post lots of replies. Hope I helped a bit.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 AM

nordan777 is on a distinguished road
well...

...I had the same problem, after a total software update. But to my surprise, I could go to PHonebook> Options> Select > Select All and when I selected all, it came out : " copy all SIM into phone ?"

A friend of mine had no problem: as soon as he inserted his SIM and went browsing the PHbook, after some time a yellow banner came up, to ....invite hime tocopy all numbers as contacts !!

My word for it, it's the very last time I'm buying a new moto...I regret the Microtacand Startac times...

Old 13-06-2009, 12:23 PM

Chuck1995 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I have a question.
I've got a Motorola Z8,
And if i want to call someone,
The mobile doesn't show my number they said but only a blank display,
and if i turn number recognition on, he still doesn't see a number or a name in the other display of who i want to call
thanks
Ads

Old 09-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Elite_boy is on a distinguished road
where to get the theme?