All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-11-2007, 07:55 AM
mmoonsamy

I had a n95, I now have a E90 and a N95 8G - I just noticed that I use the later more often as it does almost everything my E90 can do except edit office docs and typing is bit slower..* i wonder why*...lol It has never crashed or froze or rebooted on me yet.....use Wifi all the time at work and HSDPA at home....already has about 2Gig music and 3Gig movies.....guess I am going to sell my E90!...my point is that for ME, there is no reason why my old N95 or even my current E90 is better than my N95 8G....

Old 23-11-2007, 03:48 PM
King N95

10 Reasons why the Nokia N95 'classic' is better- it is false

1. It's cheaper. 375, SIM-free, including VAT, from Expansys. If you have to ask about the SIM-free price of the 8GB model then you probably can't afford it!

king:- i don no how much it would cost in ur country but there is not much difference in cost and it worth
N95 8gb price = N95 classic + 8gb micro SD price

2. Some activities are faster. For example, the speed of disk access/scanning, when updating the Music library or Gallery or doing an Image Store from your PC. In each case, there's a big slowdown when needing to trawl across that big 8GB internal disk.

King:- It has got 128 mb ram and it not too slow as u mensioned .It is super fast compared to N95 classic(undeniable)
how dare u speak abt speed ,Do u know the Ram size of N95 it is 60Mb . What if N95 classic has 8 gig , there is no doubt it will die for sure

3. It's lighter, around 10g lighter, around 8% in terms of overall weight, and noticeable in the hand.

King:- If you are looking for a lighter weight phone then N95 series is not your cup of tea

4. It's thinner, too, by at least a millimetre, also noticeable holding the two side by side.

King :- See the King's 3rd answer

5. There's a proper, protective shutter over the lens of the 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens. With your fingers pressing into this area every day in normal use, the shutter stops finger grease getting onto the glass cover and spoiling the next 'must have' photo opportunity.

King:- Do u think the shutter is thing that boost up your image quality
come on man keeping the phone in pouch must solve this issue

6. There's a microSD slot, meaning that you can not only stick in a 8GB card if you want the full storage capability of the newer model, you can also swap files with other computers and accessories with card reading slots, e.g. to put your microSD into a printer to print off photos.

King:- using single micro SD card will different machine bring your phone new new virus
Sorry i dont know that your N95 phone has no USB port

7. There's a comprehensive on-board video editing suite (built into Gallery) - bizarrely, this is missing on the 8GB model and I have absolutely no idea why!

King:- Upgrading Firmware is another feature of Nokia
i think u dont know that right
here is the link
http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4226014

8. It's less nickable. By which I mean that the N95 is so commonplace nowadays that you won't be a magnet for teenage muggers, whereas the black 8GB model is instantly recognisable and, unfortunately, lusted after.

King:- Steve did u mean ,all should buy and love N95 classic
having less battery life and memory than N95 8gig having good battery life and
more ram

9. It has a rougher side and rear coating, giving you a better grip and meaning that it's less likely to be dropped.

King:- it means "it is less likely to be dropped than N95 (classic)

10. Did I mention it was cheaper? 8-)
King:- No u told it is expensive
N95 8gb price = N95 classic + 8gb micro SD price

Old 05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Stefan2

Exclamation Zack - access times

Zack, yes, the "access time" of flash memory (compared to the seek time in a f. ex. a hard drive) is constant and independent of memory size.

However, it is likely there are more content on a bigger memory, and this would incur a greater delay compared to a smaller memory (with fewer files). Depending on the operations on each file (thumbnailing, preview, id3 tag extraction) this delay can be more or less significant.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
I own both the N95-1 (V20 firmware) and the N95 8GB (V11 firmware), both debranded.
I have been running them for about 6 weeks together and have them set up with identical programmes, layout, settings and themes.
I am also, unlike a lot of you on this forum, not overly technically minded so my observations are very much a laymans and are probably more gut than scientific.

So here goes:-

Until the launch of V20 firmware for the N95-1 I would have had no qualms about recommending the N95 8GB over the N95-1.
I was fed up with having to make sure I had closed prog's properly so that I did not incur the dreaded "Memory full" message. Even if they were all closed I would still get this.
I also had to ensure, because of the very poor battery life (less than a day with my usage), that I had chargers both upstairs and downstairs and anywhere else I went as well as 2 spare batteries and a nifty little battery operated charger.

I found myself constantly checking with Handy Taskman, every time I used the phone, as I usually only had 9-12M of RAM free.

This is why I chose the N95 8GB when it came out. Now I had a whopping 80M + of RAM and the battery is lasting at least 50% longer. So I can now go away for the weekend with either a spare battery or my little battery charger. Plus the phone seemed to run faster, menu's came up quicker, the camera opened faster, WiFi seemed easier and I wasn't constantly checking Handy Taskman to close prog's.

I can't explain it but the larger screen on the 8GB looks a lot bigger than the N95-1. By that I mean that I know that there is only .2" (2.6"-2.8") between them but it looks more. Also I think the screen on the 8GB looks less "washed out." It's hard to explain and a screenshot would not help, but bearing in mind that I'm using the same theme on both, the 8GB looks marginally sharper and has better contrast and colour saturation, something I didn't expect with the larger screen.
On the subject of the screen, and purely on aesthetic grounds, I like the fact that the screen on the 8GB is flush with the fascia and that the top slider covers the width of the phone. Again, on aesthetic grounds, I prefer the all black look.

The two phones are identical in size save for the depth. To me this is hardly noticeable in that the n95-1 is the same depth as the 8GB at the camera housing level and then tapers off slightly towards the bottom of the phone whilst the 8GB remains constant and if you lay them side by side the N95-1 is thicker at the top end of the phone and the same at the bottom end, probably because of the lens cover slider.

My N95-1 suffers, as do a number of others, from a wobbly slider and light leakage down the sides of the two panels that make up the top slider.
A lot has been mentioned on the subject of the smaller keys surrounding the Nav key on the 8GB. IMHO they are not a problem, as the centre Nav, Menu and Multimedia keys have been domed, or raised, to make them more accessible. As for the alpha/numeric keys, they appear to be unchanged. The media keys at the opposite end of the phone on the 8GB are now "dimpled" or "domed" and to my mind are the better for it. Much more tactile and easy to use.

The lack of a Memory card, microSD, in the 8GB has been a source of great debate and I must say that on the whole I wish that it did have a removable memory like the N95-1 if only for the fact that I would feel safer in being able to remove it under certain circumstances, i.e. a crash. Of course there are those who say that a seperate memory means that one can put a larger card in when they become available, already there is the 8GB card for the N95-1 which puts it on a par with the 8GB and larger cards are mooted for the future. However, I have about 220 songs, 40 short video's and roughly 200 images plus assorted other items such as the complete maps of the British Isles and some of France on both of them and I've only used less than 2GB on both of them. So for the forseeable future I think 8GB will suffice and by the time I need more both phones will have been superceded. I perhaps should also add that I have 42 prog's/themes but they are stored on the phones memories and I have 85.5M left of 134M on the 8GB and 96.6M of 147M on the N95-1. Have only just noticed that the 8GB has a slightly smaller phone memory.

Another topic of discussion has been the lack of a camera shutter on the 8GB and on the whole I think I would have preferred one possibly. Having said that, I still have to wipe the lens of my N95-1 regularly because of the debris, fluff and dust that still makes its way onto the lens inspite of the shutter. There is of course the question of scratches to the lens of the 8GB over a period of time and I may well find myself in the future having to take it to a Service Centre for replacement.

The speakers on both phones, admittedly to my tin ears, sound identical to me. I never had a problem with "hiss."

Therefore I suppose we come to the crunch question, WHICH IS BETTER?

I started this piece by stating my reasons for getting the N95 8GB to replace my N95-1 and at the time these reasons were, to me, valid.
Then good old Nokia released their version 20 firmware upgrade for the N95-1 and suddenly that phone became everything it should have been 8 months ago when it was launched. To anyone who has not got this V20 firmware I urge you to get it by whatever means right away. Debrand if you have to. It was truly a revelation. It was everything, and more, that I had hoped for. No longer was the N95-1 the poor relation. No longer did I feel that we early adopters had been let down, punished or forgotten. The N95-1 was now on a par with the 8GB. 30M of RAM at startup! They both seem to operate identically, the menu's look the same (except for maybe Downloads and the difference in icons on the calendar folder). There are other small, to me, differences but they are essentially now identical. Maybe, just maybe, there is a very, very, slight lag on the N95-1 but not enough to worry me. In any case, it's a lot faster than it was.

So, IMHO, the answer to the $64,000 question is this:-

If version 20 firmware had been available before I got the the 8GB I would not have bothered to get it. Having said that, I do like the larger, flush, full width screen, dimpled media keys, longer battery life of the 8GB now that I have it.
Oh! and the black colour.

Before anyone berates me for this article I would like to reiterate that these are only the non technical observations of a layman and only written to try and help forum readers reach their own descision on what is important to them.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by slitchfield; 13-12-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: wierd/broken links

Old 13-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up king is king

yes king u r right.N95 8gb is the best phone ever made!!!

Old 14-12-2007, 08:28 AM
mmoonsamy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yes king u r right.N95 8gb is the best phone ever made!!!

I SECOND that

Old 16-12-2007, 10:47 AM

beyarecords is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by King N95 View Post
King:- Do u think the shutter is thing that boost up your image quality
But a scratched lens will? Right! This is not rocket science. Leaving a camera lens exposed is a bad design decision, period! If it was a good idea then we would be seeing a lot more 'professional' camera products with exposed lenses, correct?

What numpty decided it was a good idea to snuggly tuck away the SD card, in fact make it inaccessible, but to leave the lens exposed..Brilliant!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King N95 View Post
King:- using single micro SD card will different machine bring your phone new new virus
Sorry i dont know that your N95 phone has no USB port
Has anyone actually timed how much quicker it is to swap out an SD card with 1 Gig of data on it as opposed to transferring 1 gig of data over that painfully slowly USB interface?

Virus?? I could be wrong here but I was always of the impression that computer viruses were platform specific or have we, and whilst I was asleep obviously, entered the age where computer viruses now mutate from one platform to the next of their own accord!!?!!

If v20 has brought N95-1 to a comparable level (performance + functionality) with the N95 8GB minus the .2 of an inch difference in screen size with the added bonus of swappable SD memory and lens protection, then for me personally it's a very simple purchase decision.

Old 16-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Unregistered

Yusuf

The N95 8g would have been the perfect phone if Nokia had put the 352 x 416 screen like on the N80 and E70. It really makes web browsing a treat. 320 x 240 just does not do justice to such a feature packed phone.

Old 18-12-2007, 07:25 AM
mmoonsamy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The N95 8g would have been the perfect phone if Nokia had put the 352 x 416 screen like on the N80 and E70. It really makes web browsing a treat. 320 x 240 just does not do justice to such a feature packed phone.
I use opera mini in landscape mode - works like a charm for me
Ads

Old 18-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Unregistered

Until you've owned both and use them extensively the 8GB version is much better.

Battery - better
Ram - better
Build quality - better
Looks - better
Bigger screen - better lol
8GB - better (saves you buying one) lol
Sound - better (no hiss)
Slider - better
Buttons - better
Everything else - better

BTW even though the screen has the same resolution browsing the web is much better? You may ask how? Use the # key to zoom out to 75% and you can fit a lot more on the screen and text is still legible because of the larger screen! This give you "virtual" resolution of approximately 427x320 or 320x427 depending on its orientation.

Old 24-04-2008, 07:36 PM
m3hm3t

why classic is better,

I think classic is better then 8gb version, because there is no camera lens protection on 8gb version,
if your camera lens gets scratched then you wont be able to use proper 5mb camera,
i think getting 8gb version is sacrificing the 5mp camera function, and just using for other things,

classing version is notice able smaller, and silver colour is more executive , smaller screen and no 8gb solid disk means, longer battery life, you can buy more mah batterys from ebay whic will give you extra 1 or 2 day,

i have got 8gb version with vodafone , i m gonna change it tomorrow with 95 classic, for camera protection option, please anyone dont tell me stick a protect sticker front of lens, i dont want to sacrifice the camera quality also,
)

Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 PM
wakov

Cool the N95 & N95 8GB & N95-3 (U.S version) ! ! !

_The good point of the N95-3 (U.S version)_

1 It has the longer battery life.
2 You can put an 16 GB (or more) Micro sd when it will be avaible.
3 It as more RAM compare to the normal one (N95-1).
4 Okay the screen is smaller.. But you have a better battery life.
5 you can easily save your data if the phone crash.
6 You can remove dust on screen easily.

_the bad points of the N95-3 (U.S version)_

1 The screen is smaller.
2 There are not convere lens.
3 The screen is unprotected
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

_The good point of the N95-1 classic_

1 The lens is protected.
2 You can easily save your data if the phone crash.
3 It has the video editor.
4 You can remove dust on the screen easily.

_The bad points of the N95-1 classic_

1 The poor RAM.
2 The small screen.
3 The poor battery life.
4 The speaker's are less good then the N95 8GB.
5 The screen is unprotected
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

_The good points of the N95 8GB_

1 The bigger screen.
2 No need to buy a memory card.
3 The faster RAM.
4 The screen is protected, if you scratch your screen just replace the protection made of plastic.
5 The better battery life.
6 When you slide your N95 8GB is not hard unlike the N95-1
7 The speaker's rock.

_The bad points of the N95 8GB_

1 The scratch appear after 2 week's.
2 If your phone crash or take a bath you cannot save your data.
3 It's horribly slow to transfer data (I took me 3 hours to put 5 Giga Byte of Mp3).
4 The camera for the video calling is not in place.
5 It get dirty easily after 2 week's(because of the dark color).
6 It can have dust under the protection, you cannot take it off (Is difficult and can avoid your warranty).

Sorry for my english i'm from Switzerland /French part/

Old 20-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

n95 8g rules

to the people out there who think the classic is better, i say no way dude 8g rules in every aspect. although the classic has a camera lens cover it is really taky looks and feels dreadful.I think the reality is envy, just because you cant afford one

Old 04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Unregistered

Wink n95 classic

In classic N95 you can put an 16+ GB SDHC card and it is very cool!

Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Unregistered

Web Link Theres my opinion

*classic N95 has faster file sharing . Why? - Because
1. you will not carry usb cable in your pocket all the time , dont you?
2. with classic n95 you can easily put your flash card to other phone , PC card reader,printer etc. and move it back to phone.

*Someone said that n95 8gb looks better? I dont think so!
Because if u dont like the grey cover of classic n95 you can easily buy the plastic cover (any color).

*Battery.
Yes, the n95 8gb has better battery, But it has also two times stronger processor that uses more power , dont forget about it.

*Memory
n95 8gig has fixed 8gb memory
n95 classic can use up to 16gb and maybe even 32gb (SDHC card)

*Someone said that n95 8gb has brighter screen
Its not true. You can change brightness in settings menu

----------- The Verdict --------------

If you need phone to run complicated programs or games such as quake 2 (with GL) Then buy n95 8gb.

Otherwise you can buy classic n95 and you will not be sorry about it.