All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The J2ME games just keep on comin'

In this followup feature, I look at another big batch of J2ME games available through Download! and through third party portals such as ClickGamer . Are the likes of Midnight Bowling, Bubble Bash, Pro Rally Racing and David Coulthard GP any good? As you might expect, some are, some aren't, but I'm happy to help out with some pointers.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Unregisteredwee

Judging by the title picture, this game should be called "Midnight Blowing" and not "Midnight Bowling"

Old 10-12-2007, 04:07 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
I don't like installing java crap on my s60 and i simply hate the fact that most of the stuff coming out these days is java.

Java apps are too slow to respond, no matter what one may say, java can never match the quality delivered by symbian apps/games. Developers may find it easy to create just one app that runs on almost all phones but running java on symbian is ridiculous.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:27 PM
NEoNGAGE

Midnight Bowling is also available as SymbianOS 9.x native app and beats the crap of the J2ME ver....G@m3loft make some of the best J2ME and SIS games along wit Digital Chocolate and few others i forgot now...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:02 PM

ChaosFire is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Sony Ericsson M600i: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6560/1724; en; U; ssr))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh
I don't like installing java crap on my s60 and i simply hate the fact that most of the stuff coming out these days is java.

Java apps are too slow to respond, no matter what one may say, java can never match the quality delivered by symbian apps/games. Developers may find it easy to create just one app that runs on almost all phones but running java on symbian is ridiculous.
I must agree with Harddeep1singh.. Many of the java games i have installed- on the outside look great &promising.. But when you start to play then it all collapses. 3 out of 5 times my java games crash ,,either by just crashing or by writing the silly 'Unexpected Handling error, application will close ?'' statement.
When they dont crash,,it boils down to gameplay &controls :Many of the games play horribly slow .. and lack 'fluid' control-response from the phone keypad.
All these put together plus a few more annoying elements ;make me to hate the game quickly ,and uninstall them..
There is definitely room for improvement.. Given the fact as rightly said earlier by Harddeep1singh ;the bulk of mobile games are J.A..V...A.
Hopefully the launch of the N-gage next gen platform by Nokia will turn the tide and bring balance (to the force!!) of mobile gaming..

Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 PM

ChaosFire is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Sony Ericsson M600i: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6560/1724; en; U; ssr))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh

I must agree with Harddeep1singh.. Many of the java games i have installed- on the outside look great &promising.. But when you start to play then it all collapses. 3 out of 5 times my java games crash ,,either by just crashing or by writing the silly 'Unexpected Handling error, application will close ?'' statement.
When they dont crash,,it boils down to gameplay &controls :Many of the games play horribly slow .. and lack 'fluid' control-response from the phone keypad.
All these put together plus a few more annoying elements ;make me to hate the game quickly ,and uninstall them..
Dont get me wrong java fans out there! I have&have played a wealth of java games.. Even the aforementioned 'BubbleBash' -its really an intresting game that will make you keep on playing it till you finish it.
I personally give it a 8.8/10
i even still have it on my phone(though finished)

There also nice ones like 'Blades and Magic' , Megacity Empire Newyork, Assassins Creed, God of War:Betrayal, Golden Compass.,Kane and Lynchead Men ,,(i have played these too.) and a swarming lot of others
But,. and i do mean and say BUT!
There is definitely room for (more)improvement.. Given the fact as rightly said earlier by Harddeep1singh ;the bulk of mobile games are J.A..V...A.
Hopefully the launch of the N-gage next gen platform by Nokia will turn the tide and bring balance (to the force!!) of mobile gaming..especially games like the recently announced 'StarWars:The Force Unleashed' for the N-gage next-gen platform..
Ads

Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 AM

puterman is on a distinguished road
The stuff that's available in the download app differs between phones. I can't see any of these games on my 6120.

And as for Java vs. Symbian native code, it's just economics. Most phones out there don't run Symbian, so it's quite a niche market to target, and selling mobile games is hard as it is, without artificially limiting your market. Also, developing for Symbian is a pain, as everyone who's ever tried it knows. Not many have the necessary skills and the bloody-mindedness to develop good games for such a bizarre environment as Symbian. (And it's not like that's enough: I've worked in the field myself, and am now happy that I've managed to escape the Symbian nightmare.)

I believe the situation will indeed improve with N-Gage, but you'll probably need to have a phone that supports N-Gage, and we don't know yet how large a portion of the S60 handsets will.