All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 01-12-2007, 04:11 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Stefan's N95 history lesson and verdict on the Nokia N82

Hmm.... other bloggers keep reading my mind. I had an editorial on Nokia N95 firmware half done and now Stefan Constantinescu has not only produced a very interesting article detailing this and throwing in other observations of N93 and N95 8GB, but he's also given the power user's verdict on the brand new N82, with which he declares himself 'in love', despite a number of design defects.

Read on in the full article.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Unregistered

What's wrong with sliders??

Seriously.. Candybars are all well and good, but try show pics/videos on those smaller screens.. I'll stick with my (rebirthed - thanks nok ) N95.

Side note.. When is the search feature going to search contact's numbers?? ie, sometimes my wife will get a call from an unknown number and ask if I recognise it, and i can't quickly check if my phone knows the number without ringing it. kinda lame. But can't complain too much, the search is the single best thing about the new firmware

EDIT: ah cool! thanks Steve, I didn't think to try several permutations. Agreed entirely on the partial number matching, bring it on for v21!

Old 01-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
You can type in a phone number to be matched, but it is dependent on knowing the start of a string or substring in the number, i.e. you have to do it several times, in case you entered it with or without an embedded space, or even with or without a country code, etc. Bit of a pain. Yes, Nokia, we want to search *within* phone numbers, as we used to in 1993 on the Psion Series 3.

You know, there's a damn good reason why myself and a lot of others act all rosey-eyed when talking about Psion - their palmtops would still sell well today, a decade after manufacture, if they were still supported and patched etc.

If I had a dollar for every customer who'd told me the same thing over the last year, I'd be able to treat my family to a very nice night out.....

Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM

sturgeon is on a distinguished road
I couldn't read it all! Thank the universe for S. Litchfield and his balanced, well informed first review(s) of the N95. If I had first read that the camera is so slow it is unusable and that the GPS never gets a fix, I might not have bought one, and would have really missed out!

Stefan is too sensational for me !

s.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 PM

DevilsRejection is on a distinguished road
Compared to the N82 and N95 8GB it isn't hard to bad mouth the N95 in it's original first state. If you read the entire article you would see that not only am I glad Nokia has continually upgraded the device, but it has brought it extremely close to par with it's older brothers and sisters.

Sensationalist ... maybe, but I write how I feel and a lot of people seem to like that.

I've always made it a habit to link to other people's thoughts on devices as well because I know what I have to say isn't what Steve, Rafe or Ewan have in mind.
Ads

Old 01-12-2007, 04:07 PM

tonyn is on a distinguished road
no metal for the n95

I loved the shiny cool metal surround on my N70, so I understand Stefan's "Give me metal or give me death."

Unfortunately I am skeptical of metal finishes appearing in the high end devices as the materials probably interfere with the various antennas in these products for GSM/WCDMA, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi & GPS.

BTW does anyone know how to make closing the slide on my N95 hang-up the call & lock the keypad?

Old 02-12-2007, 02:54 PM

DevilsRejection is on a distinguished road
One more comment to you sir, Mr. Litchfield, I do hope you finish up that editorial and publish it. Just because I "beat you to it" doesn't mean you should stop writing your piece.

I'm looking forward to it.