All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-11-2007, 11:41 PM

ilikecookies is on a distinguished road
Questions before buying a N73

I am considering buying a N73. However, I have a couple of questions and I was hoping some of the people on here could help me out.

1. I'm confused about the different versions of the phone. From my understanding, the only differences between the Music Edition and the regular n73 are that the ME has a music player button and upgraded software. But the regular n73 can get the ME's software through a firmware upgrade, correct? Also, which versions don't come with the WCDMA support?

2. According to the wikipedia entry, the n73 has a "Dual CPU ARM9 220MHz" as its processor. Does this mean it has two cores running at 220Mhz?

3. Does the phone work in landscape mode when playing games or watching videos?

4. How is the battery life? It looks like it has a good battery, but I'd like to get the opinion of someone who lives with the phone day in and day out.

5. What memory card comes with the ME. I know it's 2gb, but what brand and model is it?

6. What is the best 2gb minisd card available? The fastest I've found is the ATP Pro Max with read/write speeds of 22/15 mb/s. However, I've never heard of ATP, and the card is comparatively cheap . Is it best to stick with the sandisk Ultra II?

Any other comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-12-2007, 12:48 AM

bugmenot is on a distinguished road
Heres some of the questions answered

1. Both softwares for the phone are the same, however music edition has a diffrent quick key and 2 new themes. There isnt much diffrence between the two

2. No it doesnt have 2 processors runing, it is a 220mhz dual core processor used to save the battery.

3. Yes i can be used to watch landscape videos however it doesnt playback 30fps 240*320 smoothly but it is very good for a phone.

4. The battery is good, however the nokia N95 has just had a new firmware that supports on demand paging and makes the entire phone faster. it boosts the battery by 20% but i doubt we will see this for the N73

5. I dont know what the memory card brand is, however i have a 2gb minisd sandisk from amazon that works fine

6. Just make sure you get a orginal sandisk, some fakes from ebay dont work properly. btw this phone supports the 4gb mini sd too

Heres some bad points....

- The joystick is a bad design and it becomes very loose.
- The phone doesnt have the 3d acclerated hardware, like in the N95 so it, doesnt play all the best N-gage games
- The phone doesnt have much memory for multi-tasking, it can perfore very well still however it can say its running out of memory.

Heres a couple of good points....

- The photos are amazing with decent quality and colours.
- My n73 has taken much abuse and is still running fine
- The ablity to install third party apps, i use mine as a webcam and a remote control for my tv.
- The stereo speakers, they are so loud!

In my opinion you should get a N95, its just had a software update. It runs faster, the camera is better. It has 3d acclerated hardware for games. bigger screen. A dirctional pad, rather than a cheap joystick. the ablity to slide 2 ways!

gd luck whatever your choice is, my next phone is the 3g iphone when its released, im just hanging on for now.
Ads

Old 01-12-2007, 02:32 PM

psychofart is on a distinguished road
i have n73.

good points:
1. the screen, not too big, not too small, it's the best screen i've ever seen, specially the automatic brightness control. n95 has a bigger screen, but that also increased the 'width' of the phone.
2. the 'active standby' mode, it saves heaps for the battery.

bad points:
1. the camera cover lid 'literally' a pain in the ass, totally destroyed the symetry of the phone. it can beocme loose or catch on the sim of pocket. my lid actually scratched the sides of my lens.
2. it does not have automatic keypad lock.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM

toastedblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofart View Post
2. it does not have automatic keypad lock.
there is a 3rd party "autolock" program, I use it and it works a treat...
it's configurable in units of 5 seconds from 10 to 240

Old 01-12-2007, 11:18 PM

psychofart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedblue View Post
there is a 3rd party "autolock" program, I use it and it works a treat...
it's configurable in units of 5 seconds from 10 to 240
u're right, but i normally try to steer away from 3rd party apps. nokia must have understood the necessity and introduced that feature in 6120 which was released after n73.

btw, to ilikecookies: why dont u have a look at 6120?