All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-11-2007, 12:05 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb DISCUSSION: how to Update your firmware

To update firmware you need Nokia Software Updater (NSU): http://europe.nokia.com/A4579163
  1. Close PC Suite if you have it and then connect your N95 to the computer by usb cable in PC Suite mode. I also recommend connecting the charger too as a power loss when flashing will kill your phone.
  2. Open NSU
  3. Go through the wizard and, when it searches for updates, it should tell you the newest version available.
  4. Just carry on through the wizard BUT make sure you don't crash your PC, lose power or disconnect the phone at any point in the process. It takes between 20 and 30 minutes depending on connection speed but I recommend you just leave the whole lot alone while it runs, go have a cuppa.
  5. The phone will reboot during the process and once complete you will have a nice clean device with the latest firmware
  6. If you have changed your product code to do this and want to change it back just go through the steps here and put the old one back on. Simple!

NOTES:
Before doing this, backup your contacts and any messages you want to keep using Nokia PC suite. There is some contention over the Nokia backup tool. Personally I have used it for every update and it's been fine but many report all sorts of problem once they restore the backup. If you do run a backup, untick the settings as they are a common cause of restore problems. You can just sync your contacts or copy them to memory card if you prefer not to use the backup tool.

If the firmware flash does fail, a Nokia service center should be able to sort it out for you, so don't panic.

It is not possible for firmware to 'partially' install so if you can't find something you are expecting, you are probably just not looking in the right place.

You cannot downgrade firmware. You can re-flash the same version as you currently have or 'side-grade' (I just made that word up) to the network specific version of the firmware once it becomes available.

Last edited by stuclark; 30-11-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Matt.C is on a distinguished road
Someones been busy...good work again.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:27 PM

I got bored of telling people how to do it in countless different threads!

Old 30-11-2007, 12:29 PM

friedcpu is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I have just tried this but NSU says there isn't an update available

I have a nokia n95 8gb vodafone branded, I have changed the product code with NSS to EURO1 0534841.

NSU gives the following:
NOKIA N95 8GB (RM-320)
Firmware Version: 10.0.021

Any ideas how to force it to let me get the unbranded firmware?

thanks alot

- FriedCPU.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:37 PM

bowman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedcpu View Post
Hi,
I have just tried this but NSU says there isn't an update available

I have a nokia n95 8gb vodafone branded, I have changed the product code with NSS to EURO1 0534841.

NSU gives the following:
NOKIA N95 8GB (RM-320)
Firmware Version: 10.0.021
Your firmware is already up to date. You have an N95 8gb, which is different from the N95. The latest N95 firmware brings the standard N95 (almost) in line with the N95 8gb. Updating the N95 8gb with firmware for the standard N95 would almost certainly fail and even if it didn't it would cause all kinds of problems. Relax, you've already got the latest firmware.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:39 PM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
Actually, he doesn't, the N95 8GB is on v11 now.

You shouldn't be using a N95 product code on the N95 8GB. Try 0549487 instead, it's the EURO1 code for YOUR phone.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:42 PM

friedcpu is on a distinguished road
aha, that done it randomfan, thanks alot. Didn't occur to me that the code was specific to the earlier n95.

updating now

edit: worked great, took about 5mins once downloaded to update the firmware, went into testing mode, all sorted. now enjoying unbranded, uncripped, unvodafone firmware

Last edited by friedcpu; 30-11-2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: see post

Old 30-11-2007, 01:51 PM

andykn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts View Post
To update firmware you need Nokia Software Updater (NSU): http://europe.nokia.com/A4579163
  1. Connect your N95 to the computer by usb cable. I also recommend connecting the charger too as a power loss when flashing will kill your phone.
  2. Open NSU
  3. Go through the wizard and, when it searches for updates, should tell you the newest version available.
  4. Just carry on through the wizard BUT make sure you don't crash your PC, lose power or disconnect the phone at any point in the process. It takes between 20 and 30 minutes depending on connection speed but I recommend you just leave the whole lot alone while it runs, go have a cuppa.
  5. The phone will reboot during the process and once complete you will have a nice clean device with the latest firmware
  6. If you have changed your product code to do this and want to change it back just go through the steps here and put the old one back on. Simple!

NOTES:
Before doing this, backup your contacts and any messages you want to keep using Nokia PC suite. There is some contention over the Nokia backup tool. Personally I have used it for every update and it's been fine but many report all sorts of problem once they restore the backup. You can just sync your contacts or copy them to memory card if you prefer not to use the backup tool.

If the firmware flash does fail, a Nokia service center should be able to sort it out for you, so don't panic.

It is not possible for firmware to 'partially' install so if you can't find something you are expecting, you are probably just not looking in the right place.

You cannot downgrade firmware. You can re-flash the same version as you currently have or 'side-grade' (I just made that word up) to the network specific version of the firmware once it becomes available.
It might be worth pointing out that the USB should be in PC Suite mode on the phone, but its best to not launch PC Suite on the PC but go straight to NSU.

The main contention with backing up the phone is to do with Settings. I don't think that its a very good idea to try and restore Settings made on one firmware to another firmware, especially when debranding. Gallery Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Text Messages and Bookmarks should all be OK. Just don't do Settings.

Old 30-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Cheers for the suggestions. I've updated it.

Old 30-11-2007, 02:19 PM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Nice one 3Shirts, great guides.

'Sidegrade', good made up word as well!

Old 30-11-2007, 02:20 PM

bigbadnewill is on a distinguished road
OK, since here is the 'new place' to discuss firmware upgrades i want to ask a question

I recently got my N95 8GB, and had no plans to change the firmware to de-branded. I have debranded every single other phone i have had, so thats no problem. My concern is that there is no way to revert back to old firmware. If my phone dies, and lets face it...there is a lot that COULD go wrong with the n95, i will be truely scuppered as voda won't want anything to do with it, will they?!?!

I reckon i'm best sticking with the branded firmware for now. But i would quite to use VOIP phone (not fring). hmmm, decisions decisions.

So, now onto my question. Lets say i upgrade to de-branded v11.0.0.1.2.1.1 etc firmware. Then, v11.0.2.10.2.1 comes out on voda, all be it a little different numbering, could i then change my product back to voda and change over to their firmware again?I know you said you can sidegrade (lovely word) but do the numbers have to be exactly the same??? Or just the general revision ie v11?

Sorry this is a long rambly post, i am in a rambling mood!

Old 30-11-2007, 02:31 PM

andykn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadnewill View Post
OK, since here is the 'new place' to discuss firmware upgrades i want to ask a question
It isn't. This is just a HOW TO thread.
Quote:
I recently got my N95 8GB, and had no plans to change the firmware to de-branded. I have debranded every single other phone i have had, so thats no problem. My concern is that there is no way to revert back to old firmware. If my phone dies, and lets face it...there is a lot that COULD go wrong with the n95, i will be truely scuppered as voda won't want anything to do with it, will they?!?!

I reckon i'm best sticking with the branded firmware for now. But i would quite to use VOIP phone (not fring). hmmm, decisions decisions.

So, now onto my question. Lets say i upgrade to de-branded v11.0.0.1.2.1.1 etc firmware. Then, v11.0.2.10.2.1 comes out on voda, all be it a little different numbering, could i then change my product back to voda and change over to their firmware again?I know you said you can sidegrade (lovely word) but do the numbers have to be exactly the same??? Or just the general revision ie v11?

Sorry this is a long rambly post, i am in a rambling mood!
It is very unlikely Voda will release a firmware with a different version number.

If they did, I would expect NSU to recognise it as higher, lower or the same depending on the number Voda assign and act accordingly.

I wouldn't worry about debranding. A Nokia Service Centre (NSC) will not worry about the Product Code.

Old 30-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Technically this is the place to discuss upgrades NOT product code changes but lets not split hairs
My definition of sidegrade (wow i'm defining it too, maybe I should get on to the dictionary people) would be flashing to the network branded version of the same major revision. I think the network versions are usually a slightly higher number anyway as they are, technically, a slightly newer revision although I am talking about the minor revision codes (eg. v11.x.x.x.1 for non branded and v11.x.x.x.6 for voda). NSU will happily do that since all it bascially does is:
-Look at product code
-Search database of updates listed for that code
-If the highest available firmware revision is higher than the version installed then update. If it's the same, offer to re-flash

Last edited by 3Shirts; 30-11-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Ads

Old 30-11-2007, 02:47 PM

bigbadnewill is on a distinguished road
cheers, you answered my question, and in good time too...i'm currently backing up my pics etc as i type.

Cheers for the guides

Old 30-11-2007, 02:59 PM

tom1807 is on a distinguished road
I would suggest to add the following.
When updating the firmware, leave also the power connected. Just in case the mobile is not fully charged, it can avoid that due not enough battery power the upgrade fails.
When I made last time my upgrade, i noticed, even my mobile was fully charged, after the upgrade and before restart the bars went down to 3 bars.
Not sure whether that was an cosmetic problem.

Greetings
Tom

Edit: Ooops, this part was overread by me. Shame on me.

Last edited by tom1807; 30-11-2007 at 03:06 PM.