All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Martygoose is on a distinguished road
Problem Moving Messages Back from PC to Phone

Hi.
Every now and again I move my messages onto the pc, to free up space on my phone. One of the folders I have recently tried to move back, onto the memory card. I change the memory usage to mmc on the messaging settings, and yet there messages don't appear in my inbox.

I know what this problem is due to, but I dont know the solution.

The messages when on the phone are kept in a 'Mail' foler, which has many subfolders, containing all the messages. When on the PC, this is the same, although the files in the folders, which are the messages, don't have a file extension. That's fine because the 'Mail' folder also has a file in it called 'Index'. I think I'm right in saying that the index file sorts out all the messages in the folders, and is what the phone uses to distinguish the time, subject and recipient of each message, and thus sorting them all in the inbox.

This folder does not have this 'Index' file, so when I switch the memory usage in the messagin settings, the phone cannot find it and assumes there are no messages, creatin a new, blank 'index' file in the process, thus rubbing off all the texts. I have backup on the computer so I can try again and again, but without that index file, I just doesn't work.

I am wondering therefore, whether there are any programs or people out there who can tell me how I go about recreating that 'Index' file. I have all the information I need, i.e the sender, the messages themselves and the times, but the phone wont sort them out so I need to make this 'Index' file myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because these messages are very important and I have had this problem for quite a while now.

Thank you

Old 02-10-2007, 04:07 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
The best way to deal with Messages is with PCSuite. But move back the messages, dont go create that Index. Is not a great thing, but its the way that thing works.
Ads