All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-08-2007, 09:28 AM

divinity is on a distinguished road
Not able to stream using Real Player

Hi everybody,

I've found a lot out there on various forums to suggest others have experienced this problem, but unfortunately no answers! Hope someone out there can help!

Basically, I can stream to the phone using third party apps like Spodtronic and Vimio live TV, but I cannot stream anything using Real Player. It connects then just sits there on 'loading' until I get a server time out. This happens with music sites, Orb, etc.

One thing to note, I'm on T-mobile's basic Web 'n' Walk package which I know states in Terms & Conditions that it does not allow streaming, but I have read a lot to suggest that they do not actively block it.

Has anyone had this problem and has solved it? Is there anyone else out there that is on Web 'n' Walk but does not have this problem so I can count that out as the problem?

Much appreciated!

Old 23-08-2007, 12:18 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Realplayer has to be set to a particular access point in tools - settings - phone - applications - realplayer - streaming - network (I think you can get to that setting from within Realplayer, too). If you're moving between different access points you have to remember to change this. Even with it set to the right access point, I sometimes get the same symptoms as you; for example, I can't stream from the BBC News site when I'm at home. I've always put that down to router/firewall settings, DRM issues, adsl provider blocking, or something like that: there's a lot of variables here.

I'm on T-Mobile payg. I just got connected to various BBC Radio streams using the "T-Mobile Internet" access point, even on GPRS, but can't connect over the work WLAN. So that's pretty sure to be a firewall issue or something to do with router settings.

Old 23-08-2007, 12:37 PM

I've just been experimenting some more. If I have RealPlayer's access point set to "T-Mobile Internet", I can play the streams I have set up within Gallery (BBC Radio, mostly), even over the crappy GPRS I get here. To connect to streams on websites (eg BBC News), I need for both Realplayer and Web to use "T-Mobile Internet". In other words, I can't browse to the webpage using the WLAN, then expect RealPlayer to connect via GPRS/3G.

Would be nice to get streams over the WLAN, though... must have a look at those firewall settings...

Old 23-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the reply Neil. I do have both Real Player and my browser defaulting to the same access point "t-mobile internet' but get the same problem with every stream I try - Real Player says connecting, I see the name of the stream or track appear, then Real Player says 'Loading' but just hangs there until displaying server time out. At least you have confirmed that others are streaming using t-mobile's basic packages. This is so frustrating!!

Old 24-08-2007, 08:27 AM

Dav0 is on a distinguished road
I have the Web 'n' Walk package too and I can't get the damn thing to work either. Other forms of streaming are OK, but like you the thing just states LOADING and hangs there . Not a happy bunny!

Old 24-08-2007, 08:52 AM

DUKW is on a distinguished road
n95 streaming not

Got N95 four days ago. I have same issue. I'm on T-mobile Web n Walk Plus - specially for streaming. . So it's not a blocking issue, just some wretched settings I fear.

I had trouble, checked websites, but no great help. Then I decided to load down from My T-mobile site the various phone settings for messaging and internet. Then lo and behold it worked.

Until yesterday.

It does work on my home WLAN, but what's the point if I'm there I can stream on other PCs. Over 3g it just gets timeout. This is trying to get BBC which I think should be pretty basic.

There seem to be relatively few threads about this N95 streaming thing - is it because everybody else has it working and can't believe our incompetence?

Old 24-08-2007, 09:32 AM

yay! I'm not alone! This problem is driving me nuts now.

I have more information - I discovered yesterday that I couldn't even stream the free video clips available on the t-mobile website, so figuring they wouldn't be blocking that, I called up their technical support. I spoke to a very helpful guy who confirmed that there isn't any blocking going on at their end. He even tried one of their test N95's and he couldn't get it to stream anything either and that phone was on their max package.

Just to add to the mystery, I managed to stream a YouTube clip through video-center last night. Only the once though, then it went back to timing-out all the time. Interestingly, it was immediately after having the phone turned off for some time, though I couldn't repeat that success so perhaps that has nothing to do with it.

Help! Please!
Ads

Old 24-08-2007, 01:18 PM

No Real joy

Ok I've now wasted over half a day. It's amazing how exhausting this game is. I could have done something useful to society.

Well - no joy on Real - still timeouts - tried re-boots - hard and soft.

Found a Nokia internet radio program on their site. Didn't work for first few goes but - aargh - as I write this music is coming out from one of their test stations - says a thing about price - hope I haven't signed up to something.

Also instaled a thing called virtual radio from vradio - this works on a selection of internet radio sites.

Pity really, I didn't want to start loading funny stuff on until I got the basic bits all working as it should.

Never understood why the BBC went with Real - over the year Real never did anything but muck up my PCs.

My Vario MDA on T-mobile streams wonderfully - windows though much loathed - does seem to know most people just want the thing to work pretty much as it should.

Any joy from anybody else?

Old 24-08-2007, 07:21 PM

Some Real joy N95 - 2G Bit of a hassle though

OK this works for me - let me know if it does for you too.

Change your phone Network setting from Dual to GSM - ie 2g not 3g.

Launch radio stations. Mine worked Ok on radio 4 but radio 1 and other music stations stuttered.

However, if you then put Real player in the background by pressing the power switch then the red call end button. Then change back to 3g (dual) network setting and after about a minute the stuttering stops (as the higher speed cuts in as the buffer changes?) and you've got BBC on 3g ! Phew.

Actually the old switch to GSM was what I did to my N70 to make the battery last so I might have to do that with this toy too as it is clearly a delicate little child and easily upset.

Old 26-08-2007, 09:13 AM

RanRuobin is on a distinguished road
streaming on N95

since I used my first mobile with wlan (n80) i am bothered by the streaming problem. now its the same for n95. we ( a group of friends, quite experienced network users) found out. all streaming works on in the same subnet. and it works if course over gprs or umts/3g. we have checked the whole network protocols and tcpip data flow. there is no network reason. the simple answer is. Nokia and the service providers seem to have an agreement that the implemented real player is blocked for streams which do not connect over gprs or umts. that it works on the same subnet is just a consequence of the tcpip protocol. if you connect into your own net through your own router, the data stream is passed on to you by your router automatically because request and receive is in the same network. The only way out is to find another mediaplayer which is not designed by nokia or any service provider.
hope this info helps
RanRuobin, Beijing

Old 26-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Air is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinity View Post
Hi everybody,

I've found a lot out there on various forums to suggest others have experienced this problem, but unfortunately no answers! Hope someone out there can help!

Basically, I can stream to the phone using third party apps like Spodtronic and Vimio live TV, but I cannot stream anything using Real Player. It connects then just sits there on 'loading' until I get a server time out. This happens with music sites, Orb, etc.

One thing to note, I'm on T-mobile's basic Web 'n' Walk package which I know states in Terms & Conditions that it does not allow streaming, but I have read a lot to suggest that they do not actively block it.

Has anyone had this problem and has solved it? Is there anyone else out there that is on Web 'n' Walk but does not have this problem so I can count that out as the problem?

Much appreciated!

why is your name "divinity"?

Old 26-08-2007, 08:13 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
There is an issue with direct streaming sites!
To check this out obtain the streaming address of any source in the format=
rstp://etc
Manually input into RealPlayer
When and if it says cannot connect, save the url into gallery and then go back and open from there!
If that does not work you got a problem beyond the knowledge of mankind! (joking).

Old 28-08-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKW View Post
OK this works for me - let me know if it does for you too.
(snips)
That's a great workaround, thanks. Haven't tried it yet in a 3G area but seems to make sense as I couldn't get streaming over the weekend in a 3G area but I can get it here on 2G. Also, that key combination for getting RealPlayer to play in the background is one I had absolutely no idea about; I had it in my head that RealPlayer wouldn't work in the background. Pretty bizarre, though: if it will play in the background, why do you have to do a strange key combination to get it to do so? Nokia really don't do themselves any favours.

Old 28-08-2007, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The switching to 2G solution seems to work for me sometimes to stream music (from the BBC website), but strangely not all the time. Similarly, inputting the URL directly into Real Player and saving the stream link also seems to help sometimes when used in combination with the above. Nothing works consistently though, and I can't stream any video or from my home PC using Orb, which is what I really want to do.

Guess I will have to wait for an alternative to Real Player, perhaps Core Player Mobile that is released tomorrow?