All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 25-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Battle of the titans: Nokia E90 vs HTC Advantage

Never mind the quality, feel the width.... With both Nokia E90 and HTC Advantage in for review, it was time to pitch them directly against each other. Which flagship pulls off the 'laptop replacement' claim best? Which one's most usable as a mobile office while on the road?

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-04-2007, 06:36 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
If someone would speak with that HTC near ear, people would say that he stole a telephone booth. Now really, how the hell do they expect to speak at that brick?

Anyway, as an organizer it seem to make a good impression; too bad that it haves WM. I would go on Nokia.

Old 25-04-2007, 08:22 AM

SymFranco is on a distinguished road
Angry And what about the Bright Side?

Excellent piece, Steve, but...
what about an entry about PIM compatibility with OS X iCal and Addresses?
I believe the E90 should be a winner, especially now that Nokia releases free plug-ins for all its E-series, whereas the MS-powered HTC should resort to third-party software for synching with Macs?
Kind regards.
PS: despite the icon, no (big) rant meant!
Ads

Old 25-04-2007, 10:13 AM

damo86 is on a distinguished road
i believe the advantage is supposed to be used with a bt headset?
ill take e90 anyway please!

Old 25-04-2007, 12:26 PM

epo.fm is on a distinguished road
I like the massive screen on the Advantage but it's running windows. Uggg
The E90 is looking very smart in red!

Old 25-04-2007, 12:37 PM

Orophin Anwarunya is on a distinguished road
Its sad this will degrade into another windows vs some other OS fan rant comment section. Both systems are powerful in their own right, it should be about the hardware and its usability. Please fan boy and off topic soapbox rants need not apply or i ban your commenting privileges for a week (if i had the power).

- I don't think the Advantage is meant to be used against the ear for phone calls. There are Bluetooth headsets and Wired headsets for that. It will mostly reside in a pouch or small bag.
- Also, i don't see how the screen will be vulnerable when the keyboard acts as an effective shield when its not in use.
- Since the E90 has a similar hinge system to the 9300, can anyone confirm if the latter's hinge has degraded over prolonged use.
- How is the battery life of both?
- 8GB is definitely an Advantage (hehe, i made a funny!)

|\__/|
( ^_^)

Last edited by Orophin Anwarunya; 25-04-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Old 25-04-2007, 01:53 PM

epo.fm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin Anwarunya View Post
>Orophin Anwarunya: 'it should be about the hardware and its usability'.
You've decided that have you? Some people would consider the 'Usability' of an OS to be somewhat important in a device like this.

Quote:
> 'Please fan boy and off topic soapbox rants need not apply or i ban your commenting privileges for a week (if i had the power)'.
Fortuantely you don't.

Quote:
> '8GB is definitely an Advantage (hehe, i made a funny!)'
Yeah good one.

Last edited by epo.fm; 25-04-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Old 25-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

>>I don't think the Advantage is meant to be used against the ear for phone calls. There are Bluetooth headsets and Wired headsets for that. It will mostly reside in a pouch or small bag.

So when someone calls you.....?

>>- Also, i don't see how the screen will be vulnerable when the keyboard acts as an effective shield when its not in use.

In use, I was worried that any kind of drop or bash would damage the huge screen.

>> Since the E90 has a similar hinge system to the 9300, can anyone confirm if the latter's hinge has degraded over prolonged use.

Eh? It's totally different.

>>- How is the battery life of both?

Both quite good, thanks to largish batteries.

Steve

Old 25-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
As a pocket computer, maybe, but it's impossible to imagine someone using the HTC Advantage as a phone.

"Since the E90 has a similar hinge system to the 9300, can anyone confirm if the latter's hinge has degraded over prolonged use."

That could be difficult to assess as the E90 has only just appeared on the market. Models used in early previews (including AAS's one) would have been prototypes, so their durability might be different to the final model.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Last edited by krisse; 25-04-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Old 25-04-2007, 07:06 PM
D Murray

Smile

Hi Steve, Thanks for the comparison - I wonder if you might compare it to one of the smaller windows devices with a keyboard? I'm very interested in the E90 as a pocketable diary device on which I can type reasonably quickly on (and I need something with a built in keyboard, as I intend to use the keyboard to typing in appointments on the go etc..) - basically I just want a modern psion 3a! How is the firmware shaping up, and is the calendar application going to be useable for all my needs? Thanks!, Duncan

Old 25-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Your best bet is to plump your preferences into my Grid http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm and see what comes out top.

Personally, I'm torn between Nokia E70, E61i and E90 - I really want to move back to a qwerty device, but it's tough choosing 8-)

Steve

Old 25-04-2007, 10:04 PM

lark is on a distinguished road
I have to wonder about the scoring in this article. I think perhaps this is the correct outcome for a mobile that can be used in a pinch for a lap top repacement. Most of the difference between the two was the form factor. However if it is truly which phone is purely a better lap top replacement then I would say the article suffered from a pro-Symbian bias. (or maybe Steve's hate for touch screens!)

Although I dislike Windows Mobile and have pre-ordered an E90; I really think that the Advantage is a superior "lap-top replacement". It has better storage, larger screen, a large keyboard and is more pocket-able than a laptop. I think the E90 is a better mobile phone/lap-top replacement compromise. Which is why I am looking to get one.

Anyway I guess in the AAS forum it would be kind of silly for us to be shouting the praises of a device with the scum operating system.

Old 26-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Administrator

No, you do me an injustice, I approached the scoring objectively. Re:touchscreens - laptops don't generally have touchscreens, so not sure what you're getting at here.

Re:the Advantage generally outspecs the E90, to be sure, but the fixed keyboard angle is horrible, the keyboard itself is horrible, the weight (360g) is hard to ignore and yes, the touchscreen does rather mean you can't use it outdoors etc.

Just because this is AAS doesn't mean that editorial is biased. I'm more familiar with Symbian OS devices, I guess, but I start each review prepared to like every single device.

Steve

Old 26-04-2007, 06:45 AM

tnkgrl is on a distinguished road
Instead of the HTC Advantage, I think the OQO Model 02 makes more sense: http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/tag/model-02/

It's about the same weight and size and it's a lot more powerful, since it's a full (x86 compatible) personal computer

Between my Model 02 and my Nokia N95, I have it all... And if I want to travel light, I only take the N95!

Then again, the Nokia E90 is very tempting as the ultimate all-in-one device

Old 26-04-2007, 06:46 AM

romeo26 is on a distinguished road
hmmm...lets see, which one can fit in my pocket better?