All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-04-2004, 06:44 AM

sanjeeva is on a distinguished road
problem connecting P800 to PC in modem mode

i need to use my P800 as a USB modem for my laptop. it worked well. something has gone wrong and won't work any more.

the primary problem is that the laptop does not recognize the phone when connected to the cradle when the cable of the phone is set to "modem mode" . it works prefectly when phone cable is set to "pc connect" mode - i can install software etc.

if the phone is connected to the PC in modem mode - the icon in the phone monitor (a black phone with a green tick on it) should appear but this does not happen.

yes i have unchecked the UBS port in the phone connection link and also enabled the port on phone monitor.

yes i have re-installed PC suite - i have done a master re-set on the phone - i have gone to the extent of formatting my laptop and installed win2k all over again.

nothing worked.

pls help.

Old 14-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Using the P800 as a modem trough the cradle is a pain in the ar$e to set up, but if you follow this tutorial point by point, you should be ready to go.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 15-04-2004, 02:40 AM

sanjeeva is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Using the P800 as a modem trough the cradle is a pain in the ar$e to set up, but if you follow this tutorial point by point, you should be ready to go.
hi raven

many thanks for taking the trouble to help.

i did everything in the tutorial but i get don't get there for some reason. dial-up networking wizard in the sony ericsson pc suite sucks. it has driven me crazy.

i did some more experiments and found out that there is a much much easier way.

this is how you go

uncheck the USB port in the link monitor on the PC

enable the same COM port in the phone monitor on the PC

change the phone cable to modem mode on the P800

connect the cradle to the USB port of the PC

connect the P800 to the cradle

on the PC - go to control panel -> phone and modem options -> click modems tab -> click add -> check the box “don’t detect my modem; i will select from list” -> click have disk -> click browse -> go to the folder where PC suite installation files are located -> select autorun.inf and click open -> choose select port and highlight the same port which your cradle is installed on USB (very important) -> follow the instruction until finishing this process

now the P800 modem is installed. you can re-verify by going to control panel -> phone and modem options -> click modems tab -> select the sony ericsson P800-802 serial modem -> click properties -> click the diagnostics tab -> click query modem and you will see the PC communicating with the P800 modem.

setting up dial up networking – you cannot do this using SE PC suite. it does not work and you need to talk to your management and fix the problem in your software.

this is how it works

control panel -> network and dial up connections -> make new connection -> choose “dial up to the internet” -> select “i want to set up my internet connection manually, or i want to connect through a local area network (LAN)” -> select “i connect thru a phone line and a modem” -> select the sony ericsson P800-802 serial modem -> uncheck use area code and dialing rules -> type any one of the following as the telephone number
*99#
*99***1#
*99***2#
-> leave the username and password blank (important) -> type any connection name you want -> choose no to set up internet e mail account -> finish and you are done.

open the dial-up networking connection you just created -> leave the username and password blank -> uncheck the “save password” box (important) -> click connect -> you will be connected

happy surfing!

above instructions are based on win2k OS. instructions may vary a little for other operating systems but the basics are the same. DO NOT USE THE SE PC SUITE DIAL-UP NETWORKING WIZARD – IT DOES NOT WORK.

rgds
sanjeeva
Ads

Old 15-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you got it sorted out, Sanjeeva.

The tutorial I posted worked fine for me though, under XP.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 28-03-2007, 01:09 PM

bbani is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Worked for p900 as well

Hi Sanjeeva,
Your simple method worked for my p900 as well after many days of struggling with SE DUN wizard which does not work for short.
However; Ravens tutorial was helpful in that I had to reset my baud rate to 115200 without which I get a modem hardware failure error.
Thanks y'all.