All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-01-2007, 06:58 PM

knuckleskin is on a distinguished road
Networking Tools for N80

Hi, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on networking software, or whether I should go about creating my own.

I realised the other day whilst playing with my N80 on some open networks and getting no internet response; is I would like to find out what the gateway's IP is. It would allow any user to debug networking issues on the fly - Let me know if I'm being slow.

Other tools might include a ping program that lets you see more clearly how strong your WiFi signal is. I imagine one of the Python tools might let you do this, but I wouldn't know where to start.

If there are any tools like this, or even better ones, any help would be truely appreciated.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 PM

agarbato is on a distinguished road
need some software too.

Hi guy..

Yesterday I wrote this message in another forum, no reply :(
Tell me if you find something usefull.

---

Hi All,

I live in Italy and I bought the n80ie few weeks ago. Very happy about that phone, it works fine.

My question is regarding the use of WLAN on public open network. I can use the phone at home and also in the office through wireless router and WEP/WPA shared key. I can use VOIP through WLAN, it's simply fantastic!

I've never been able to use public network at station, airport and so on. I always get the "no reply from gateway" even if I can connect to the access point.

I know there could be lot of reasons 4 this. For example there's no DHCP server on the router or no DNS or correct gateway are given.

My question is .. How can we troubleshoot this?
Googled lot of times but didn't find a solution.

What should be really usefull is, once connected to the network, know the full IP address configuration assigned to the device. Also some tcp/ip utility like ping, traceroute, netstat etc, can help to troubleshoot.

There's a ping utility for symbian 2nd but I didn't find nothing for Symbian 3rd.

I'm planning, if possible, to develop such application in python but I'm not a programmer.

Share your experience!

Thanks to all.
Andrea.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 AM

johnnytanki is on a distinguished road
i am also very keen to look for such tools. Had been searching high and low but effort went down the drain.

Hopefully there can be more networking tools develop for n80 so that we can torubleshoot any wifi problem

Old 28-04-2007, 07:04 AM

cregganna is on a distinguished road
Series 60 Network diagnostics

I too am having serious issues with connecting to public hotspots - BT Openzone in my case with my E70.

Discovered that the NW Connection was staying open with periodic activity after No Gateway. Looking at task list saw that dhcp was still running - killed it and NW then disconnected. I suspect that the dhcp was just not getting a reply from the wireless hub.

Sooooo..... I was thinking along the same lines of knuckleskin - I need to inspect the IP set up and possibly run dhcp manually.

If any of you guys know of such diagnostics then please let me know.

Old 28-04-2007, 02:06 PM

Sebhelyesfarku is on a distinguished road
There's a freeware app IfInfo that shows the parameters of a connection.
Ads

Old 29-04-2007, 07:57 AM

fyrestrtr is on a distinguished road
Andrea:

In most open networks, you must first browse to a site, and click on a 'login' page before your device is given access to the Internet.

Old 29-04-2007, 11:28 AM

knuckleskin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebhelyesfarku View Post
There's a freeware app IfInfo that shows the parameters of a connection.
Wow, thank you Seb that is perfect.

Old 29-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleskin View Post
Wow, thank you Seb that is perfect.
yeah, almost perfect... bit buggy... and the ping option woulda been nice but it does the trick at the moment.

Author says they are gonna release a tidy version soon.