All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Want to browse the web on the Nokia 5500? Read this first! :-)

The 5500 is excellent for browsing the world wide web with, if used correctly. There's two things you must know in order to get a good web experience out of the phone:

1. Use the right browser!

There are actually two browsers on the 5500, the Services browser (which is absolutely terrible, don't use it) and the S60 browser (also called NGBrowser or Web). S60 is the browser you should use, it's been developed by Nokia specially for smartphones like the 5500 and displays web pages very much like a PC. It can cope with all kinds of things like frames, Javascript, fullscreen page sizes, secure connections etc. The S60 browser is much faster and better in virtually every way.

Unfortunately the Services browser is the one that appears on the menu screen and standby screen by default, so a lot of people will think this is the only browser.

To get the S60 browser you must insert the microSD memory card that comes with the phone when you first switch it on, and it'll automatically install the S60 browser along with several games and applications. (The S60 browser appears on the installed applications menu as NGBrowser)

Once you have the S60 browser installed, you can access it by going to the own applications folder on the main menu screen and selecting the "Web" icon (which looks almost identical to the Services icon unfortunately).

If this is inconvenient to do all the time, you can move it to the main menu folder by selecting the icon and selecting "move to folder" from the options menu.

You can also add it to the row of icons on the standby screen by going to Tools, then Settings, then Phone, then Standby Mode, then Active Standby Apps, then replace the "services" shortcut with "web".

2. Use the right settings

The S60 browser by default displays web pages as they appear on a PC screen, but because the 5500 has a lower resolution than a PC it only shows a small section of the website at a time.

To solve this problem you should go to the options menu of the browser when a page is displayed and select "Zooming Options", then keep selecting "decrease font size" several times until the option disappears, then keep selecting "zoom images out" several times until the option disappears.

If you follow these instructions you should be able to view about 50% or more of the width of most websites on a single screen, so horizontal scrolling will be kept to a minimum.

Last edited by krisse; 04-09-2006 at 08:33 PM.

Old 25-09-2006, 12:28 AM

ultratramp is on a distinguished road
lost NGBrowser file

I think I accidentally deleted the NGBrowser file. Is there a site where I can download a copy? Please post the URL. Many thanks.

Old 25-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultratramp
I think I accidentally deleted the NGBrowser file. Is there a site where I can download a copy? Please post the URL. Many thanks.
Did you wipe the memory card that comes with the phone? NGBrowser is on there, it should install automatically when you switch the phone on with the card inserted.

If you did wipe the card, you can download NGBrowser through the 5500's built in catalogue application in the "my own" folder, under the Nokia section.

If you don't have the catalogue app, you can download it from this site:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4144941

Old 26-09-2006, 05:21 AM

ultratramp is on a distinguished road
catalog list cannot be downloaded...

and the reason listed when i clikced on details is that packet data connection is not available. so i go to settings>connection>packet data>access point and see 'none' is listed. what is supposed to be here???

Old 26-09-2006, 06:16 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Use the Settings Wizard app on the phone to get the correct access point settings from your network operator, if they are not there automatically (with the newer phones and corresponding network side support, when you turn on the phone for the first time with a new SIM card, it will automatically try to fetch all the settings from the network).

Old 26-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

And if you can't get any of that to work, try contacting your network operator for settings, they usually have them tucked away somewhere or other on their website.

Old 23-12-2006, 12:34 PM

VinterKrig is on a distinguished road
Angry

I did not put in the 64MB card that came with phone, but a 1GB card. Installed apps, including opera mini v.3 which works great.
Then I hear there is a web-browser in the original mem-card. Installed Catalogue proggie from it, downloaded "web". Does not launch. I´ve tried it on phone´s memory, in memory card, uninstalled opera. Several times.
All network settings etc. are correct. When I try launching "web" all I get is little freezing, can´t use directional buttons for couple of secs.
Would have been interested to compare it with opera, but no.

Anyone with a brain, help appreciated.

Old 16-02-2007, 02:25 PM

outseeker is on a distinguished road
When I heard there was a good browser and games etc. on the original card I was relieved! Naturally I too have installed a 1gb microSD before being told.. All you gotta do is put the microSD card into its external holder and insert it into an SD card reader. I copied the files from the 64mb directly to the 1gb using the PC and SD card interface. Else you are pretty stuck. I dont think the phone shows the hidden directories when browsing inside itself..

Old 13-03-2007, 05:07 PM

DamaGer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Did you wipe the memory card that comes with the phone? NGBrowser is on there, it should install automatically when you switch the phone on with the card inserted.

If you did wipe the card, you can download NGBrowser through the 5500's built in catalogue application in the "my own" folder, under the Nokia section.

If you don't have the catalogue app, you can download it from this site:

Hi. Can you help me?
I accodently deleted NGBrowser and I need it back.

1/ I made factory reset
2/ format 1GB flash
3/ copy content of 64MB to 1GB memory
4/ reinstall firmware with Nokia Update
5/ found uninstalled BrowserNG in App.Manager, tried install, but "Unable to install" error
6/ removed it and copied new one (but only 2KB version, weird)
7/ installed Catalogs
8/ searched for browser, found and let download, but it ate me 1MB (lot of money) but no luck

Do you have any ideas please? I am really desperate.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 PM

bonch is on a distinguished road
Hello krisse.
I'm a new one who has got this handset.
I've read your instructions and it helped me.
But there are several questions remained...

When I use NGBrowser it does not open the WAP pages.
Hence I've been trying to install OPERA.MINI.
So it shows me
1) Install? Continue?
2) Security? Continue?
3) Installation location. Phone memory or SD card?
And does not matter what I chose it fails and writes me "DISCONNECT".

The standard browser shows the WAP pages. But many of them I used to visit it shows incompletely.
Could you advice me anything?

Serj.

Old 25-07-2007, 02:54 AM

ketas is on a distinguished road
I also deleted Browser NG.

You can get it from here:

h t t p : / / europe . nokia . com / A4151103

Nokia somehow doesn't say that this phone is full S60 3rd device. And they hide their S60 3rd software somewhere where noone can find it. For example, there are Still Image Editor, thing that's very good.

Look this: h t t p : / / europe . nokia . com / A4273038
See? No useful software listed :( Even their feedback form is currently broken.

However... Opera Mini 3 (or recently Opera Mini 4 beta) can reduce your data cost, as it uses server-side page parsing. But if you really need to browse and your data plan allows it, then Nokia Web Browser is the best.
I personally have it in case I got into some kind of trouble where little bit money isn't much to spend. At least I have full web.
I tried it, I actually have full-blown web in my phone... 208*208, but still web.

I recently thought, if a phone can run Python under Apache (you know, h t t p s : / / mymobilesite . net ) and has public IP, how it differs from computer? :) Not talking about other applications I can run. But having not only a web browser but actually a server in my phone... that's over all.
And then there's h t t p : / / www . movino . org

Sorry about these "h t t p"'s and other things. Forum doesn't allow me to post links yet :(
Ads

Old 05-02-2008, 11:12 AM

nico81too is on a distinguished road
Hi, I have a big problem with BrowserNG too.
I upgraded my 5500 firmware to v4.60. I also resetted my phone.
I have the original sis package of BrowserNG (called on phone "Web"), version 1.00, but if i have an error during installation.
So I try to download the browser by Catalogs application, and I successfully downloaded and installed a new version (v1.07). But when i launch it, it doesn't start.
So I can't install original older version, and the new version won't starts.

Please help me

Nico

Old 05-02-2008, 01:38 PM

ketas is on a distinguished road
Download "Nokia Web Browser" from http://europe.nokia.com/A4151103

P.S:
I managed to upgrade my Nokia 5500 from v3.55 to v4.60 without any resets.
Surprisingly, all data was 100% intact, although I backupped it and prepared to restore.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 PM

nico81too is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply, but I have already tried 3250 version with no success, browser don't start up, the same as catalogs downloaded version :(