All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ready for the Prime Time?

Is the S60 3rd Edition world now mature enough for you to make the jump from a 2nd Edition phone? Steve looks at the state of the 3rd Edition application catalog and reckons that non-game players can definitely make the switch.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-06-2006, 11:05 AM

Kaare Olsen is on a distinguished road
Satellite Navigation and mapping: Nav4All

Satellite Navigation and mapping functionality for some (or all?) S60 3rd edition devices is avilable from Nav4All. See their download page:

http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav...ep_2_nokia.php

I've successfully installed Nav4all on my E61. (The E61's full keyboard isn't supported. :-( )

--
Regards, Kaare - not affiliated with Nav4All
Ads

Old 15-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I've added a note to the article!

Steve

Old 15-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
For me the most important app to get for my E61 was Mobipocket Reader. Other third party apps I use all the time include: Internet Radio, AgileMessenger, Opera Mini and a couple of Java ones.

As for games, you're right, the selection is really poor ATM. I'm enjoying Sam & Max using ScummVM though and a couple of nice Java games. I also have Snakes - I actually prefer the old-school version, and Golf Pro 2 - which I suck at. There is also a very early beta of Doom available. Not a great selection indeed. Waiting for some decent emulators to pop up, but games aren't really that crucial for me ATM as I have several other Symbian phones packed with games, and also a PSP (which I hardly use).

As for apps though, there are much to be desired. First ting I wish for is a decent file manager - if that'll ever happen... And a nice Desk replacement with lots more options/customization possibilities and hot-keys for starting apps/new sms/e-mail/call/bookmarks/etc. I do like the new feature in S60 3rd Edition where one can add shortcuts to Internet bookmarks in the Standby mode though, but unfortunately that only works with the Services browser and not the real Web browser.

I could go on and on, but for now I have my device set up pretty well for my use with the resources available. Patiently waiting for more third party app support.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Last edited by Raven; 15-06-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Old 16-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Kaare Olsen is on a distinguished road
Wayfinder available for the Nokia E61

Wayfinder is now available for (at least) the Nokia E61, but currently only via the phone's Catalogs application, it seems, so it's probably a beta version.

Wayfinder seems more userfriendly than Nav4All. And the full keyboard is supported in Wayfinder, which is a big advantage. (Nav4All is free until at least 15 August, by the way.)

--
Regards Kaare - not affiliated with either company