All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 27-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia Nseries N70 - 3g Series 60 with 2 megapixel camera

As part of their Nseries announcement Nokia today unveiled the N70 a 3G Series 60 smartphone with a 2 megapixel camera. Clearly focused on imaging other camera features include improved desktop and printing connectivity, an integrated flash, x20 zoom, and an improved on board gallery application. Other features include a a stereo FM radio (with support for Visual Radio) and music player. The phone is expected to be available Q3 2005, an EDGE variant will be available at a later date.

Nokia Press Release:

Slide and Shoot with the Nokia N70: the smallest 3G Series 60 smartphone with 2 megapixel camera

Nokia N70 is part of the Nokia Nseries high performance multimedia range

Amsterdam, Cancun, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur – Nokia today introduced the Nokia N70 multimedia, a beautifully designed, compact and easy-to-use 3G smartphone with versatile mobile photography, personal productivity and entertainment features. Incorporating a complete smartphone feature set, as well as a 2 megapixel camera, flash and front camera for video calling, the Nokia N70 comes fully equipped with stereo FM radio, a digital music player and new 3D games.

“The Nokia N70 perfectly illustrates our commitment to offer powerful, all-inclusive handsets that aid people in their daily lives. In addition to advanced smartphone and entertainment features, mobile photography is extremely easy and enjoyable with the elegant Nokia N70,” said Joe Coles, Director of imaging product marketing at Nokia. “The number one reason why people today purchase new handsets is the camera. Indeed, we foresee that by the end of 2005, over half a billion people worldwide will own a camera phone.”

Easy mobile photography
The slide and shoot design makes mobile photography fast and simple. The rear camera slide reveals and automatically activates the 2 megapixel camera, ready to instantly shoot photos or video. The intuitive slide is complemented with an integrated flash, 20x zoom capability and a range of capture scene settings for optimizing image quality in various environments, including Scenery, Portrait, Night, and Sports. Furthermore, the dedicated shutter key on the side of the phone enables users to capture images like they would with a regular camera, allowing for greater stability and ease of use.

The storage, management and organization of images and video clips is convenient and efficient with the Nokia N70. With the Nokia XpressTransfer storing solution, all new photos and video clips can be automatically copied to the PC. Photo albums created on the phone are also automatically saved in similar albums on the PC. Furthermore, the Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition software offers users an efficient way for organizing or editing photos
and video clips on the PC.

The new improved rotating Gallery provides for enhanced browsing of images and video clips. Images can, for example, be organized into slideshows, with the viewing experience further heightened with added background music. Images and video clips can also be instantly printed from the Gallery with the Nokia XpressPrint printing solution using a USB cable, wirelessly over Bluetooth connectivity, or using the Reduced Size Dual Voltage MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC).

Smart productivity
An excellent and powerful tool for personal and professional information management, the Nokia N70 offers a full set of smartphone features, including very easy-to-set up email functionality with extensive attachment support, Internet browser, video streaming and 3G-enabled features such as two-way video calling* and video sharing*.

Furthermore, additional applications can be installed from various sources**, while organizer information can easily be synchronized with compatible PCs.

Entertainment on the move
Equipped with a digital music player with stereo audio, FM radio and support for Visual Radio, the compact 126 gram Nokia N70 also doubles as a great pocketable music device. For an even more playful multimedia experience, theNokia N70 supports S60 and Java 2D and 3D games, some of which are pre-installed in the phone or on the standard in-box RS-MMC.

Measuring just 108.8 x 53 x 17.5 mm (95.9 cc), the Nokia N70 is the smallest ever 2 megapixel 3G smartphone based on the leading Series 60 Platform. The Nokia N70 is expected to be available in the third quarter of 2005. Additionally, a variant of the Nokia N70 for EDGE (Enhanced Data Rate for GSM Evolution) markets will be available at a later date.

Old 27-04-2005, 07:45 PM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
I really, REALLY like this new N-series. It seems they listened to their customers (at least to me ) All small naggles I had with every previous series 60 phone are "fixed"/added in the N Series! Great job Nokia

Old 28-04-2005, 08:00 PM

tiger03 is on a distinguished road
i guess they got the idea of shape from a 6680, so what sort of improvements can we expect?

Old 04-05-2005, 12:35 PM

PATCALEB is on a distinguished road
but which phone has a better((stronger) camera flash, the N70 or 6680 ?

Old 04-05-2005, 12:45 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
No difference, in all likelihood (they don't have a real flash, but bright, white LEDs).

Old 04-05-2005, 01:11 PM

PATCALEB is on a distinguished road
Was Hoping For A Better Flash.

That would be a shame if the flashes are exactly the same.
I was hoping that the N70 had a superior in-built flash.
When i checked out the specs of the flashes in the N70 & 6680,they
were the same(1.5m) .
As you may of noticed,a good flash is important to me in a camera-phone.
I already have purchased the PD-2 flash extention for my 6630,and it is good
but inconvienent to keep carring around.Idealy what i'm looking for is a nice phone
with an in-built xenon flash(like normal digital cameras have).But i have not seen such a phone out yet. So i think that in the meantime whilst i'm waiting i'll
have to go for the N70.It's the closest phone to what i'm looking for in a phone.It has a better joypad controller than the round 6680's.It also has a better camera too.

Old 17-05-2005, 04:59 PM
tsunami

Thumbs up

I currently own a 6680. The N70 looks and sounds nice but i will wait till the EDGE compatible version comes out before I think of upgrading. BTW is the processor of N70 faster than that of 6680?

The only real difference between 6680 and N70 that I find is the 2 megapixel camera (no great difference though) and the FM radio (awesome!).
Ads

Old 15-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Unregistered24

got an N70 two days ago and I hate it!

Three major problems.....

The buttons are too small for my fat thumbs!

The menu navigation thingy should have been a little rubber joystick like on the 6600 or the 7650......much better for chubby thumbs lol

The menu system is not cusotmisable enough.......you cant even add most things to the "GO TO" menu......

ITS GETTIN SENT BACK......but wot do I swap it for?

Old 23-02-2006, 01:17 PM
UnregisteredZ

Nokia 3G Video testers needed

Sorry for offtopic, we are looking for Video & VoIP streaming testers on Nokia 6630, 6680 and N70. More information here: www.sillyant.com