All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-02-2005, 02:09 AM

fannypad is on a distinguished road
"6630 recalled/discontinued on Orange" rumours

Just read this: http://mobile-review.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=22093

Basically some Orange employees are claiming that the 6630 has been recalled and will soon be discontinued on their network. This doesn't affect other providers.

I doubt the rumours are true, probably just a case of misinformation within the company, but it wouldn't surprise me seeing how every single phone forum is flooded with people complaining about the resetting bug (caused by the T9 user word list getting corrupted for no apparent reason), and no DTMF tones in video calls making the Orange video message service unusable.

It must be costing Orange (and the other networks no doubt) shitloads, I personally know two people who have had several replacement handsets between them purely because of the resetting bug, and heard stories of many more such cases, and forums are full of reports of people having had their 6630's replaced several times within weeks/days of each other.

It is quite shocking how such a major and common bug not only made it past internal testing but is STILL in the latest firmware after several firmware revisions.

Old 05-02-2005, 02:06 PM

deiwise is on a distinguished road
Can't beleive this could be true - but perhaps *that*'s the reason why Orange have been out of stock on the 6630 for a while...

Will (still waiting for his)
Ads

Old 05-02-2005, 02:47 PM

Jj03 is on a distinguished road
we (carphone warehouse) are still waiting for our batch of orange branded 6630's. our schedule did say " coming soon" but has now been changed to "no release date"..its a pathetic situation....regardless, i have no problem changing people's minds when it comes to networks...i just sell it on o2 or tmob...oranges loss is their gain....also, orange won't let us sell generic handsets with one of their pay monthly sim's...yet tmobile encourage it, and o2 give us good commission for selling this specific handset on their network...9.50 ...which is cool... lol..what are orange playing at i don't know...

Old 05-02-2005, 05:09 PM

Yeah - bizarre. I've been treated very well after making a complaint against Orange - lots of freebies, so it pays to complain and kick up a fuss! No need to change networks, although this latest delay is a little annoying. I'm sure it'll all sort itself out in a couple of weeks - besides, it's in Orange's interest to have this phone working and saleable.

Old 05-02-2005, 07:27 PM

thenetsaint is on a distinguished road
well this is very odd, about a week ago i got the 6630 on orange. 24 hrs later it crashed. it was replaced at the same shop, and working well.

could there be a odd batch out there in the world of orange?

Justin

Old 05-02-2005, 07:30 PM

I reckon you're right Justin. The people I spoke to today said they could get one sent to me by Monday, as I had been dealt with by the cancellations department (or disconnections dept., whatever it's called) which suggests there's not a company-wide problem with the phone, it's just out of stock. Who knows. We'll find out sooner or later

Will

Old 06-02-2005, 03:54 PM

mjdj1689 is on a distinguished road
Orange said to me there are hardly any of these phones left anywhere now

Old 10-02-2005, 01:49 AM

fannypad is on a distinguished road
Looks like the rumours are true.

Have a look at the thread linked above again: http://mobile-review.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=22093

Old 10-02-2005, 10:02 AM

mikeday83 is on a distinguished road
I believe there was a problem, i had that exact fault on 4 phones in one week. Orange told me they had been trialing the phone for months and they havent seen any problems like mine, they also said they hadnt heard of anyone else having the same problem then suddenly they went to send me a replacement but they were out of stock so I switched to Vodafone and everythings been fine and dandy ever since.

I think they company have a duty to their customers to come out and be honest about the problem and make a statement

Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 PM

Johnmcl7 is on a distinguished road
Touch wood, my Voda 6630 has been fine so far, a couple of lockups with picodrive which doesn't bother me too much and once it locked up wheil it was in standby - I could see the screen but nothing happened when I pressed any of the buttons.

Just patiently waiting for proper firmware to lock it down to 2G (don't want to mess with fieldtest)

John