All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-02-2003, 08:47 AM

cmatthee is on a distinguished road
File system query

This is a shot in the dark, but here goes.

I'm interested in writing an application that creates a new virtual file system. The application will create a new drive. All requests send to that drive from the file server should be routed to my app for a response. Something similar to mapping a network drive, except that the information for the drive can come from anywhere. Not just another networked system.

I know this is possible, but it also appears that Symbian want you to join their Platinum membership before you can get this information. I'm not willing to go that route at the moment.

Anyone know if there are any information available to achieve this?

Old 02-03-2003, 12:23 PM

you can't do that

Hello,
I'm afraid you can't do what you want. In order to write a new file system and to create a drive etc. you need to have access to fileserver source code and construct a new rom image. The main problem is how the fileserver maps filesystems to drives. What you want to do is not supported by the File Server. That's why you need to be a platinum partner. And remember you will be able to distribute your FS as part of a rom on new products or try to convince licensees to integrate your solution in one of their product.
Cheers.

Old 13-10-2004, 09:10 AM

gargidasgupta is on a distinguished road
file system query revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthee
This is a shot in the dark, but here goes.

I'm interested in writing an application that creates a new virtual file system. The application will create a new drive. All requests send to that drive from the file server should be routed to my app for a response. Something similar to mapping a network drive, except that the information for the drive can come from anywhere. Not just another networked system.

I know this is possible, but it also appears that Symbian want you to join their Platinum membership before you can get this information. I'm not willing to go that route at the moment.

Anyone know if there are any information available to achieve this?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
we are trying to something similar i.e. build a networked file system for symbian. We have the file server headers and the libraries in the sdk. Also the interfaces required to be implemented by any new file system are available. But we do not have the source code for the f32. In that case how do we build the new filesystem(the *.fsy releasable)? Is there any way to do this without having the entire source code for os customization?

Thanks in advance
Ads