All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Armageddon Squadron on Ovi Gaming

In his latest Ovi Gaming review, Ewan takes to the skies in Polarbit's strangely realistic WW2 aviation shoot 'em up. With Armageddon Squadron often being sighted in the Ovi Store for free, this is definitely one to snap up, even if you'll need decent flying skills and plenty of patience to progress all the way to the end.

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

Very nice game and runs on non 3D hardware accelerated phones like the humble Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and Nokia N97. However, the game does not maximise the 640 width of the screen unlike their other releases (eg. Raging Thunder, Wave Blazer).

Truly, these phones has the potential to run such games like this and thanks to Polarbit for that. Unfortunately, other mobile game companies don't follow that kind of scheme.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Very nice game and runs on non 3D hardware accelerated phones like the humble Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and Nokia N97. However, the game does not maximise the 640 width of the screen unlike their other releases (eg. Raging Thunder, Wave Blazer).

Truly, these phones has the potential to run such games like this and thanks to Polarbit for that. Unfortunately, other mobile game companies don't follow that kind of scheme.
Haven't had long to play the demo yet, but it does look quite good.

I'm one of those going on about the lack of 3D accelerators in these phones, but it isn't necessarily required - I keep forgetting the roots of the Symbian hardware. Anyone remember the 3D gaming on the first Acorn RISC PCs? An 8 or 25mHz ARM2/3 processor with less than 1mb of ram that could readily handle full 3D gaming at an indecent frame rate. Yet somehow with layers of abstraction and bad coding, something with close on 20x the processing often looks a bit ropy.

There's a huge amount of untapped potential in the Nokia phones - if only the developers could get access . . . . or Nokia could release much better optimised drivers and/or APIs.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
As I understand it, ALL the current Polarbit games run in a 320 pixel wide virtual machine (FUSE) and are scaled up for the nHD screens. Raging Thunder is just the same.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I love playing this game and do find it to be highly addictive - to the extend that it sometimes angers me when I am on the verge of finishing a mission and my plane gets destroyed...

The graphics are really not that bad and using the motion sensors make playing this fun.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Unregistered

great game but no support for i8910

polarbit makes great mobilegames but i cant understand why the games are not working oh my omnia i8910. Please polarbit read this review and make the game available for i8910! There is a long waiting community outside to play your games.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

Sweet

I don't usually comment on here but i have to say that this is the best game i have played on a mobile phone. I uninstalled waveblazer and raging thunder because i felt the accelerometer control scheme doesn't match the game but an aircraft shooter.........game on.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Unregistered

Ewan, why not make reviews for other games published by polarbit on ovi store