All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-02-2010, 10:54 PM

weber is on a distinguished road
N97 Software update help needed!

Hi,
I have a big problem with my N97. Phone is original from UK (was locked on T-mobile, but I called customer service and they have provided me unlocking code). So phone is unlocked but branded.
Since I had to wait for a long time to update my phone to v2.0 firmware, I decided to change product code. After that I was able to update software, but when update was finished I felt something went wrong so I decided to re-install v2.0 one more time.
That was a mistake since that killed my phone, so I had to use JAF to flash new firmware.
After this phone was working great, I had no any problems until a few days ago when I decided to update to v.21.
I connected N97 to PC, started NSU (received a message that there is a new firmware available), but after software download is finished (and right before installing the new one), I have received some error ("connect phone directly via usb not a hub" or something like that)...and, of course, update failed.
I tried many things: using OVI suite, reinstalling and installing all Nokia software, updating cable drivers, different PC with different OS, different cables...but nothing helps.

Is there anybody with similar problem, or maybe somebody knows how to solve this issue?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Old 17-02-2010, 09:38 AM

to_sukanta is on a distinguished road
Open your battery and reinsert again... Charge your mobile fully before starting the update. The error msg is most likely because a USB hub cannot provide enough power to swich on you phone..
(A usb can provide max 500mA current over 5V. So its 2.5 Watt. and I have checked my N97 mini consumes almost 2.25 -2.5 watt (using power profiler while screen is on) even if there is nothing running on it. Software update should require a lot power so your battery should fully charged to withstand that)

Old 17-02-2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the advice, but still not working, even if the battery is fully charged :(

I was thinking of reinstalling current software (v2.0), and then try to update, but I can't reinstall v2.0 because NSU is giving me just an option to install v2.1...

Old 18-02-2010, 11:54 AM

to_sukanta is on a distinguished road
ok.. so this is a software problem rather than hardware... I have shared that thought coz people do mistake on those silly thing.. (I once have done with my roommate's N82)

I am new to Nokia and just have few days with my mini.. So I am currently in learning curve.. But as I remember I have seen a "reinstall x.x version on phone" in PC client while the phone is connected via USB. I will seach for that while I'm in home..

Old 18-02-2010, 12:42 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Try this...

Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program and then uninstall PC Suite, Ovi Suite, Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver, PC Connectivity Solution.

Now download and install Nokia PC Suite cleaner and run it.

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...-suite-cleaner

Reboot you computer.

Make sure User Accounts, Firewall and your anti-virus are turned off (you can turn both on after setup) and download and install PC Suite and it's add-on's (N.S.U.) and then run them to ensure that they are up-to-date:-

http://europe.nokia.com/support/down...suite/download

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Old 19-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Still no luck. I uninstalled everything and then did fresh install of Nokia SW, but the issue remains. Even I tried on a different PC with no Nokia SW installed on it. :(

I was wondering if during firmware update Nokia is collecting some data from the phone, and maybe comparing Product Code and IMEI?
So in the case they do not match they cancel update?! (but then why they let me update to v2.0???)

In this case maybe solution is to change Product Code to the original one.