All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Track and Protect review - personal remote security tool

Track and Protect, now available in beta, is a personal remote security tool for Symbian phones. It brings easy-to-use remote management and security features, such as remote locking and wiping, to a consumer audience and also includes a location tracking module. We've taken a closer look at the beta version in this in-depth review and conclude that Track and Protect should 'significantly improve the chance of having your phone returned to you', if it is lost or stolen. Read on for more.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-12-2009, 12:33 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer ..

One obvious command sequence is turn on camera take picture/series of pictures/video whenever a button is pressed.. upload this to your email/facebook wherever ..
Is there any prevention of software flashing?

Might give this a try!

Old 22-12-2009, 01:47 AM
jaclu

Hard reset

Did you try the alternate hard reset most nokias have?

It varies a bit from handset to handset but often something like *, 3, and talk
as you turn on the device.

Since that is a pre-boot command it should be able to vipe a phone even with this app installed regardless of if you change the security code.

So unless the thief is so clueless as not being able to google something like: hardreset n82
it seems that this app doesnt really do anything useful.

Old 22-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Unregistered

Jaclu, you assume that a thief knows all this. When a thief puts in his own SIM, his photo is taken, his phone number is registered, his location and his operator is known. I would say he's busted before he founds out how to do a flash

Old 22-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Unregistered

Brisked Britons

Thanks for this review. I guess buying an E72 for the sake of the remote wipe feature is no longer necessary. I suppose if I buy an N97 Mini, then buy this Track and Protect application as well as an app. like Quickoffice for editing office documents, I should have a phone that is equal to or better than the E72. Now, my only concern is the low amount of RAM available on these Nokia phones. How much RAM is needed for smooth operation by a power user?

Old 22-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Unregistered

I thought that any thief would remove the battery and the SIM as a very first thing to do.
Now he would be faced with the phone lock which I think could be easily bypassed using any flashing tools.

My best scenario is not to keep enough personal information on the phone that I'd be sorry for losing.

Old 22-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Sarju

This realy works! I try. I can not boot my phone anymore after i removed my sim card. Lock imeditely. This track protect software is really cool. if wrong or no sim card all buttons are blocked, can not even do format. and i see my face on account page now and did not see that it made picture. This is professional tool realy, original sim is like a key. super protection!

Old 22-12-2009, 10:20 AM

jonek is on a distinguished road
I got 15 credits as part of the sign-up process, so this is effectively completely free, and a great line of defence.

Old 22-12-2009, 01:16 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
If somebody gets your phone illegally, and it is not locked, he/she can uninstall this application without any problems. Just a note after 5 mins usage.

Old 22-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Uneg - there is protection against standard flashing AFAIK.

Hih - one of the options is to protect install / unistall with the pin code - I would suggest enabling to prevent precisely what you describe.

Old 22-12-2009, 04:15 PM

suyogmh is on a distinguished road
No success with registration

I tried 5-6 times to register but no luck, i never got SMS confirmation.
Is this limited to few countries?

Old 22-12-2009, 05:52 PM
nightshift

2 points

I installed this app and I too got 15 free credits, I would happily have paid 5 euros just to test it.

I have had it running for about 24 hrs now and I have noticed significant drain on the battery. The app isn't listed as actually running, but I'm sure this is a security feature. Has anybody else noticed poor battery life after installation.
Also, what happens when I go abroad and put in a local sim card? Will I have to register that sim on the website before my n97 will work?

Old 22-12-2009, 05:58 PM
nightshift

...OK, just 1 point

I am a complete toolbox. I just looked into the settings on the application running on the phone and there is a replace sim part of the app which lets you temporarily put in a new sim, BUT, shuts down the whole system, so my phone would not be protected if I was to loose it abroad running another sim card.

Still making a valid point about the battery life, though. Thanks

Old 23-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Founder / Chief

I've not seen a noticeable impact on battery life myself, but obviously this is exactly to sort of thing beta tests help identify.

I believe you can swap in a SIM and set things up again quickly. I did try this myself and it seemed to work just fine. As you mention its one of the options in settings.

Old 23-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Klomptek

Hi everyone at AAS forum ! Thank you all for your comments. We saw some nice suggestions passing by on the TnP beta user forum. We do listen
TnP is our first consumer target solution. We wanted to bring Professional Device Security Management to a wider audience, and make it affordable. Seems you all like this idea, thanks again.
We are continuing the free "credits" to new beta testers for a few more days. To say thanks for all the input we receive.

We wish you all a merry Christmas and a healthy new year!

The Klomptek team