All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 18-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia officials 'reveal' Nseries future and Symbian-Maemo transition

Nokia has officially spoken up (albeit at a Maemo-only event) about its plans for Maemo to take over new Nseries models by 2012, reports Ben Smith over at TRMP. Although further Nseries Symbian-powered smartphones will appear in the meantime, it seems that after 2012, Symbian OS will power the new Xseries and Eseries smartphones and Maemo 5 will power the eye-candy-heavy Nseries top end. Of course, if that is to happen, there's an awful lot of work needed by the Maemo team - watch for our analysis here both on All About Symbian and All About Maemo.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-11-2009, 09:24 AM

icebox is on a distinguished road
Hm, a bit disapointed here,

would have liked to see an e series maemo device: large keyboard, open office ported, good email client, large battery - >2000 mA (in the spirit of the slim e71 with bp-5l battery)

Old 18-11-2009, 09:26 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Great news. I'm waiting for fully featured Maemo device. N900 seems too immature yet.

Old 18-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Surprisingly little repsonse to this so far.

Sensible move by Nokia. I expect that a QT faced Symbian phone will eventually equal or better the Maemo offerings in the future. I wonder if Maemo will stay exclusive to Nokia phones or if it will be licensed out?

Old 18-11-2009, 03:00 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Sensible move by Nokia. I expect that a QT faced Symbian phone will eventually equal or better the Maemo offerings in the future. I wonder if Maemo will stay exclusive to Nokia phones or if it will be licensed out?
At the developer level, I'd expect them to want to get Maemo out to as wide a community as possible (its primarily open source, thats how it works). From the business side thats unlikely though, as they'll want to make the most of it to sell their own handsets.

QT is being ported to Maemo as well though, so thats a non-starter in the discussion .... and according to the wiki page, maemo 5 has Bundled community-supported Qt libraries. So its there already?

Old 18-11-2009, 04:31 PM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
QT is being ported to Maemo as well though, so thats a non-starter in the discussion .... and according to the wiki page, maemo 5 has Bundled community-supported Qt libraries. So its there already?
Not quite, as developers are not yet allowed to release apps build with Qt for Maemo. Part of the license for the beta.

Old 18-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

How is each series positioned?

It'd be interesting for Nokia to position each of these series.

What will the difference between the X-Series and the N-Series be? If it's just X = Symbian and N = Maemo that's not a very customer-oriented product portfolio. Is N-Series going to be high-end and X-Series mid-range? Is it operator dependent?

Nokia's attempts to create series usually just end up in internal business units competing which is confusing for consumers. How is the E-51 an enterprise phone? Why is the 5800 not an N-Series device. Calling the N900 an N-Series phone even though it was a different OS was a rare example of customer-oriented thinking; shame they seem to be reversing the trend.

Also -- I think it's a little premature for Nokia to be planning to move 50 - 100M devices per-year over to a platform that hasn't actually shipped a proven device yet (too early to call N900 and N800/N770 were hardly proofs).

Old 18-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

I believe that Nokia Corp. owns Maemo just like it now owns Symbian, I know S60 5th appears on a Samsung and a Sony device but id imagine those deals were done before Nokia aquired Symbian.

I would be surprised if they licence either again for rivals to bastardise with their own flavour.

"QUOTE"
Unregistered

Old 18-11-2009, 02:56 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I believe that Nokia Corp. owns Maemo just like it now owns Symbian, I know S60 5th appears on a Samsung and a Sony device but id imagine those deals were done before Nokia aquired Symbian.
You do know the history of Symbian, don't you?

Symbian has always been available on other platforms, such as on the SE UIQ handsets, NTT Docomo devices, Siemens (the SX1)

Nokia doesn't "own" Symbian, and I think they only ever owned it with other parties. The Symbian Foundation (who are developing the next gen variants) was created by Nokia, SE, Vodafone (!), TI, Samsung, NTT Docomo.

It'll be interesting to see how the dev/hacking community takes to Maemo 5. previously they've worked very closely with the Nokia teams in back-porting features from the later OS to work on the earlier devices - very much akin to having 9.1 FP2 features running on an older N73 or N70.

It appears that for the moment, Nokia are intending to target 3 main operating systems :

S40 - low end
Symbian - low/mid end handsets (5530, 5800)
Maemo - high end

Which makes complete and utter sense, as having one OS that fits all the criteria is unlikely to ever work that well.

I'm intrigued by how this will play out though - the E series being the main point. I would expect Maemo to be a perfect replacement, being considerably more capable of supporting the business apps than Symbian.

Mmmmmm ... Nokia in "common sense" shocker. Must be something else going on then.

Old 18-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Raphael

It's sad. Symbian with S60 used to be the best smartphone you could buy. I had two S60 phones which I really liked.

Today unfortunately, at the normal consumer eyes, the graphical interfacelooks old and clunky. Maybe they think it's not worth the wait to have Symbian with Qt ready and for now they have a better chance with Maemo.

I don't think they expected the Maemo reception to be so positive.

Old 18-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Dead1nside is on a distinguished road
I think we all sort of expected this and it's welcome. Nokia are far behind in mindshare and Maemo 5 and the N900 captured this unexpectedly. Any push towards a more open platform I support. I'll be waiting intently for the N900's successor for my next phone in all likelihood.

Old 18-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Makes sense, but risky

I think it makes sense to move away from S60 (this was long rumored), since it is aging and hasn't translated well into the touch market. However, IMO it would make more sense to join the Android crowd than to create yet another smartphone OS in a crowded market. There's a reason Apple has so many applications and a growing share of the market. They have kept things simple. Nokia is making things complicated.

That said, if they make it easy to port Android and iPhone applications, create a real app store (Ovi as it exists today just won't cut it), offer GPS turn-by-turn for free (a la Google), and keep plugging away at the user interface they may have a winner in Maemo. There is more potential there than in S60.

Old 18-11-2009, 01:54 PM

machimshin is on a distinguished road
And I will go for N900 at the start of 2010, really looking forward to it

Old 18-11-2009, 02:01 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Finally some exciting news.

Relegate Symbian to low end where it belongs and bring on Maemo!

I am really surprised that Steve hasn't chimed in yet with his obligatory "Symbian rules!" analysis.

Old 18-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

N and E series will use Maemo 6

Symbian for Nokia N and E series is dead - 2 years max. It cannot compete with Maemo in terms of actual and potential performance. Nokia views all its high-end smartphones as mobile computers. They have a huge R&D co-operation deal with Intel to accelerate mobile CPU/GPU development. So a clean and powerful, proprietary/open Linux based OS makes perfect sense (compared to piling more and more code on top of the brilliant but dinosaur Psion base). S60 will still ship in tens of millions of mid-range smartphones - but I wonder how many of AAS readers are interested in the mid-range?

This has been perfectly obvious ever since Maemo 5 was first previewed on the N900 and the Maemo 6 road-map announced.

The AAS team, especially Steve, are stuck in legacy denial mode making irrelevant comparisons between the N97 and the N900 and missing the most important comparison - just how bad the N97 is on a "mature" OS and just how good the N900 is on the brand new Maemo 5. If Nokia puts the same effort into Maemo 5 on the N900 as it did fixing the N97 firmware then things will get even better.

Maemo 6 with new and exciting form factors and even more powerful hardware really is where all self respecting Nokia/Smartphone fans will be in 2010/11.

I will swap my E71 for the N900 because that is the future - the same way I swapped fax for e-mail / e-fax back in the day. Also I would like to watch some DivX House and Dexter on the train