All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 93 - SEE 2009, Q3 Canalys, N-Gage

In All About Symbian Insight 93 (AAS Podcast 157) we discuss the Q3 smartphone figures from Canalys and Rafe explains that Fujitsu and Quic have joined the board of the Symbian Foundation. We move on to a retrospective of SEE 2009 with discussion of the media reaction (which send Rafe into rant mode). We finish with thoughts on N97 PR 2.0 and the closure of N-Gage (sniff). You can listen to AAS Insight 93 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:57 PM

krizanand is on a distinguished road
Red face unable to listen this podcasts completely

I cant listen to this podcasts fully it comes only upto 7.30 mins do i have to download it to listen the entire part of it, i wonder thats not the case

Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Hmm.... it plays fully and fine here, in both Flash player and the MP3....

Old 07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Unregistered

Agree with first poster. The first 8 minutes or so appears to repeat itself in the .mp3 download taken from podcast url.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator

I grabbed the MP3 via RSS..... Which seemed fine.

Rafe? Anyone else with data points? Maybe there's a corruption in the MP3 file which is affecting some people's players?

Last edited by slitchfield; 08-11-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
No problems at all for me using Firefox. Just finished listening guys, great podcast as ever. Some really interesting points, and bang on about the whole N-Gage transition, and how it was handled all the wrong way, i too share these thoughts, it could of been done so so much better.

As to the N97 V20 firmware, as Steve, and Rafe know, I too was there in the Q&A, and from what i gathered, there are some really cool things yet to come to the N97, so watch this space

Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I've just checked this and it appears to be fine. I'll try on another device.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile See 2009

Symbian is pioneering in the mobile world .
Cooptation with different stakeholders in producing software , makes it a more bottom-up organisation . Open to Journalism also .
While others like windows , android , iphone OS , Palm OS , RIM , etc are more top-down organisations . Open to paperazzi .
When are we delighted to visit their SEE ? 2009 ?

Ewans Touch Doom was a highlight ! Or was it Boom ?

Regards jApi NL

Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Unregistered

Pass the Douchie

Quote:
Symbian is pioneering in the mobile world .Cooptation with different stakeholders in producing software , makes it a more bottom-up organisation . Open to Journalism also . While others like windows , android , iphone OS , Palm OS , RIM , etc are more top-down organisations . Open to paperazzi
jApi NL, can we have some of what you're smoking?

Just kidding. Bottom-up stakeholder cooptation is very important to me to when I buy a phone.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 AM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
Entertaining as ever chaps. Ewan, thank you for being so off-message as usual, totally agree with your comments about Ngage. However good the product, bad decisions can ruin companies prospects look at WordPerfect, Psion and Novell. I don't think that Symbian have the luxury of 2 years to prove themselves, it may well be too late by then - and I'm a Symbian fan. Re: Nokia N97 mini, great phone but it still suffers from the RAM problems of the N97, mine has about 48M free after a hard-reset. Not good enough Nokia. Apart from that nice phone so far, reminds me of the Psion 5mx.... its the cursor keys ;-)

Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Hard Reset 12 minutes ?

There is an (r)evolution in Nokia Phones ! Steve talking about doing a Hard Reset *#7370# or Vulcan Death Grip in 12 minutes (or was it a little more ?) to recover the memory leakage of the phone and reinstall all data .
Since I don't have a computer , it takes with the trusty E90 , 10 times more !! 120 minutes ......
1) Backup : on MemoryCard 6 min , + another 6 for recovering the Phone from Backup : It won't react for these extra minutes = 12 min
2) Reinstalling : the mainly third party apps : 75 min . Most must be reinstalled manually , because of certification errors like : untrusted , expired and such ....
3) 3 minutes for Backup Contacts on Card and restore .
4) 30 minutes for restoring Calendar , by using Datatransfer between the E90 and 9500 ( yes , still alive and well !)

So I use the the Softreset *#7780# and reinstall from Backup : 15 min !
RAM 74.3 MB , C: 106.1 MB .

@Unregistered : I am smoking : ' Smoking can harm your baby while pregnant '

Regards jApi NL

Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Good stuff as ever guys but (how unsual ) must pick up on a couple of points:

I fully accept that we shouldn't judge SF on it's current iterrations but should probably wait until SF^4 for the full beans. I'm just not sure that there will be any manufacturers other than Nokia (and even them - Maemo?) willing to wait to release devices on it whilst Linmo and Android devices sail off over the next 18+months and hence very limited device availability if any. See Ngage (to quote your own show).

Secondly I categorically disagree that V2.0 is some wonderful new feature set kindly bestowed on us by Nokia as part of an ongoing update programme. It is a delayed bugfix pure and simple to correct a device so fatally flawed it could not perform many of it's adevertised and billed functions. Still after it despite memory mapping etc the device struggles to run Widgets (one of the biggest features pushed by Nokia) and none of this would be necessary if Nokia had used a good enough processor allowed enough RAM and sufficient C: - why should users have to fiddle around intalling some Apps to mass storage whillst some are on C: because they have to be - it should all be installable to C: without thinking about it (for starters trying to store messages on E: breaks every time the device is used in mass storage mode meaning the best way to transfer music across becomes a pain). The simple fact that they have changed some specs of the mini is a tacit admission. As a despondent N97 owner of 2 1/2 months (of which 1 has been in repair shops) I feel the device has already been deprioritised as Nokia now realise what a series of errors they made with it and would rather shuffle it under the carpet (a la N96) and start a new message - N900/ N97 mini whilst I'm stuck with a real lemon for the next 12+ months thatr can't fulfill most of it's billed functions for lack of hardware and is a colossal pain to use.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Fair comment, SnoFlake, Nokia dropped the ball spec-wise on the N97 (and to a certain extent the mini) though I do always recommend people buy these things SIM-free so that if something IS a lemon, you can just sell it, make only a small loss and move on. I do feel your pain as a N97-contract user....