All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 PM

ananjan is on a distinguished road
tick beside internet access point

I am new to Symbian, using my new Nokia 5800 for the last two weeks now. I have configured three internet access points - one for home WLAN, one for office WLAN and the third for GPRS connectivity. Somehow, for all network based applications that I install (like Opera mini), if I do not configure a specific access point under "suite settings" (under settings > application mgr > installed apps > Application (any network application) options > suite settings), the application always looks for my office WLAN connectivity!

The office WLAN is configured as priority 2 in "settings > connectivity > destinations > internet". On the same screen, a small "tick" symbol appears beside the Office WLAN entry, and I am not being able to figure out what the significance of this tick is. Obviously it seems to be a setting which marks the office WLAN as default, but I can't find where this setting is.

Can anyone help me find and change this setting?

I have also noticed that the default browser has a setting by which I can set the "access point" as "internet". Thus, the default browser can use any internet connection available based on the prioritization. However, for other applications, the "access point" selection is restricted to specific data connections. The "internet" group is not available here. This creates an inconvenience since I have to change this setting every time my available data connectivity changes. Can I change this behaviour somehow so that other applications can also select the available data connection automatically?

Please note, I am not a Symbian programmer, and not too technical either.

Please help.