All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM

_TN is on a distinguished road
Question pre shared key - router does not use one

Hi

Have just got this phone so it's probably a rookie mistake, but I can't find any documentation anywhere that helps - I hope someone on here can...

My router is set up to allow access by MAC address.
I have added the phone to the access list by enabling wi-fi on the phone and adding the IP address that the router (Netgear DG-???) detected.

The phone can see the router but will not connect - it is demanding I enter the pre shared key. When using access by MAC address a preshared key is not used.

Can the phone be changed to access in this way or am I going to have to mess about with the router setup and all the devices that access it just so I can get this phone to work?
(Please tell me it's not going to be that...)

Thanks,

T

Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 AM

tulloch is on a distinguished road
The MAC address is not the IP address. To find the MAC address of your device enter *#62209526#

Access control lists are a separate security feature from pre-shared keys. Are you sure your router is not set up to require a key?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 AM

D'oh, typo. Sorry
I added the MAC address, not the IP address.
(I have since checked the MAC address the phone gives and it does tally with the one the router picked up automatically)

The router is definitely set up to allow access only by MAC address (it seemed like a good idea at the time!) and I don't usually have any problems adding new nodes in the WAN admin section in router admin. I've added a number of smartphones with no problems, but none running Symbian OS.

Basically, I think I am asking whether the wi-fi security can be 'disabled' on the phone so it doesn't think it needs a preshared key?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM

tulloch is on a distinguished road
I don't have access to an open wi-fi connection to try it for you right now. You could try the free app Easy Wifi. Do a Google for Devicescape. This app handles all your wi-fi connections for you. I've use it since it came out. Might must solve the problem for you.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 AM

Thanks tulloch.
I finally came to the conclusion that this phone does not support (what it sees as) an unsecured network, admitted defeat and applied security to the router so I am now using PSKs. Grrrr.
Anyhow, it's working brilliantly now, so no further help (on this subject) needed - unless you are curious of course...
I have now also desecrated my new toy with some of my music and the next job is to find some funky apps for it.