All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-02-2008, 03:57 AM

Bennett is on a distinguished road
x-plore 1.21 patch?

Hey,
Was just wondering if anybody out there know if there is a patch for x-plore 1.21 so that i can access locked folders (i.e. Private + sys).

If this patch does exist, would somebody be able to point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Simon

Old 27-02-2008, 04:48 AM

dchky is on a distinguished road
There is no patch. For that kind of access you need AllFiles to read those directories, and TCB to write. These are capabilities that are tightly controlled and handed out vary sparingly by Nokia.

The ~only~ way to get open access to these directories without going through an extensive consultation with Nokia, is by making modifications to your swipolicy.ini file, correcting the checksums and hashes, then uploading the modified firmware back to your phone. At the present time nobody has publicly acknowledged a method for doing this on the N95. It works on the N80 and most 3rd edition handsets older than that though. You will also need to modify the EPOC header of your applications to include the required capabilities. (In this case X-Plore) - this is quite trivial to do though, elftran.exe from the SDK is designed to do this.

Unless you are an anti-virus vendor, you're not likely to get either of these two capabilities from Nokia. Ever.

If you ever do find a way, be sure to come back and let us (or rather, me) know :-) I have a keen interest in this thing, since I want my phone to do what I want it to do, and not what symbian or nokia tell me I am restricted to.

The problem with bypassing symbian signed is that it does go a long way toward making it easy to do exactly what symbian signed is supposed to prevent, that is piracy. Sadly there is no easy answer. Corporations justifiably have a vested interest in restriction, people like me who love to tinker are kind of a fringe element that just have to put up or go somewhere else.

Edit: No, I do not condone piracy!

Last edited by dchky; 27-02-2008 at 04:57 AM.

Old 27-02-2008, 05:05 AM

Bennett is on a distinguished road
thanks for the reply...

lol... again with the swipolicy.ini file!!

yes dchky, i know exactly where you are comming from. I hate being tied down and restricted like this and with the signing process!!

I am deffinatly very interested in this swipolicy.ini file and will be doing alot of research into it from now on.
If i find out anything interesting or make any progress this will be the first place ill come to report my findings!

Simon