All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-12-2007, 01:44 PM

hojomo is on a distinguished road
E90 freezes on Nokia screen on start up/restart

I've had my wonderful Mocha since August and been very pleased with it, until just recently.

In the last few weeks it seems to like to "lock up" when switching on - by that I mean the Nokia whitescreen just stays, and doesn't progress to the PIN screen!

Having been used to WinMo, resets are 2nd nature, but I seem to only be able to achieve these by removing the battery on the E90, and it doesn't always work either! (It's a good job I've got an E61 to fall back on - that seems very reliable.)
Tried about 10 times today before I could enter the PIN!

Also find this type of reset often refreshes the signal strength from 0 to something usable too - has anyone else had these experiences?

hojomo

Old 01-12-2007, 07:11 PM

deletia is on a distinguished road
Could be a dodgy memory card? I had a similar issue with my N80.

Try taking the microSD out and restarting it. If it doesn't lock up and all that stuff, take a back-up of the card using your computer (assuming you have an SD card reader), reformat the card to FAT32 and insert into the phone, then choose reformat on the phone, then back onto your computer and copy the files back.

If it starts to play up again, then the card is goosed. You can get a 2GB card cheap enough these days.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 PM

ScottE90 is on a distinguished road
i sometimes find, with reatgards to the signal, that the network strength, when very low or not available, a quick restart will sort it, but only very regularly.

Also noticed is when i try and make calls, sometimes the phone gets no where, and all calls there after will not go through (They dial, but no dial tone), a reset also cures this.

If yuor nokia is freezing on startup, sounds like some nackered settings or rogue application. I would suggest (if you dont mindl oosing your data) doing a firmware update (or reinstall existing firmware) to put the phone back to out of the box condition, and go from there...

I have never had any serious crashes at all on the E90... well 1, but fixed with a simple power on/off