All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-08-2007, 11:28 PM

mrktool is on a distinguished road
no lcd screen protection. rediculous.

I find it amazing that the n95 has no protection of its lcd screen! i was walking home from work today with my n95 in my pocket when there was a sudden but severe downpour of heavy rain and during the 10 minutes i was stuck in this i got home, took my n95 out of my pocket and noticed the screen was all distorted and full of water where it had got in through the sides of the lcd screen. my screen now no longer works and i'm worried that my insurance will not cover it as it does not cover water damage.

how can nokia justify making a phone so vulnerable to water that it gets ruined just sitting in a slighly damp pocket from a rainy day?

Old 16-08-2007, 06:44 AM

torsen is on a distinguished road
Yes the screen is extremely vulnerable to fluid ingress. I had this problem after cleaning my screen once, the only good thing is that new ones aren't to expensive and if you are willing to take a T5 torx to it, they are very easy to replace. Bad design.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:56 AM

cocaine is on a distinguished road
I was just amazed to that when I purchased my N95 and took it out the box, it didnt even have a film of tape or anything covering the screen or camera at all

Old 16-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Is there not some sort of compound that you could very carefully inject along the sides of the screen to make it a bit more resistant?

Old 16-08-2007, 12:36 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
I think to complain about this is pretty pathetic. The screen is less venerable than many others due to the fact that its recessed. Comparing it to my company phone a SE K610i which follows the trend of all SE phones they have plastic over the LCD which is easily scratched. I have had my N95 for a fair few months now and yes it gets a bit smudged but has absolutely no scratches on it.

I dont understand why so many people tend to complain about so much on a phone that simply destroys any other on the market!!

Old 16-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
If you dont complain about flaws, they never get fixed

And I do think there should be a seal around the screen edge. This is a different factor to the screen being scratched.