All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Sony Ericsson P1i review

The UIQ 3 powered P1i is Sony Ericsson's top of the range smartphone. With 3G, WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, a QVGA touchscreen, a 3.2 megapixel camera and a full QWERTY keyboard it mixes multimedia and enterprise capabilities in equal measure. How does this latest P series phone measure up? Rafe starts looking for the answer in the first part of our Sony Ericsson P1i review which examines the hardware features and overall design.

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"Sample Images from the Camera (click through for full resolution):"

Holy cow Rafe, what do you get up to at weekends?

Most of my sample photos are rather duller!
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 14-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Well it was an unusual weekend... (and a few other days too). Some of them are from Loseley Battle Proms. Of course there had to be an obligatory cat and/or dog photo too.

Old 14-08-2007, 01:56 PM

DevilsRejection is on a distinguished road
req: pics of stand

Old 14-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Got to say though, this does look much more professional and attractive than previous P series UIQ phones, at least in my opinion.

The keyboard still looks a bit strange, but it does seem to work by all accounts, so it's just something to get used to.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 14-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Unregistered

P1i Green Tinge on Photos

Hello Rafe,

I was just wondering if you noticed a green tint on the right hand (usually lower part) of your photos. This seems to be a phenomenon with the first batch of P1i's and could be a CMOS defect since the green tinge shows up on the LCD preview also (hopefully it's not a hardware issue.). I have also confirmed this in my posts in Esato. I think I even see it a bit in you photos (though yours isn't as obvious). What do you think?

Sincerely,

Isaac Liao

Old 15-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Founder / Chief

I can't say I've noticed a particular green tinge myself. I can't see anything obvious in my photos (sometimes you can convince youself something isn't there and vice versa).

As I said the camera isn't amazing, but this is all relative, much better than the P800 (no suprise) and a bit better than the P990.

Old 15-08-2007, 12:14 AM
bluejacker

I've got a Nokia E61 at the moment and a feature I use a lot is VoIP. How does the P1i handle this? Does it work out of the box without problems, or is 3rd Party software necessary? This is what I've been reading up till now. If it's right, then I can forget the P1i right away.

Old 15-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

Green Tinge

Maybe you could take a picture of a white piece of paper? Should be pretty obvious then. Now I have to work out a way to convince myself my n95 has more free ram

Old 15-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Smythe

Hi Guys/Gals, Not too sure why people give this phone good reviews, I bought it but im definatly returning it after just a day. For the following reasons
* Its virtually identical to my M600i in terms of performance. Admitedly the build quality is alot better but its just an M600i with a camera and Wi-FI. and screen *slighly* brighter. Not entirely sure why its always compared to the old P series phones (good marketing on Sony ericssons part I guess). Because its an M610... well It should be called that anyway.
* Phone reception wasnt great. i know this is very subjective, but my N95 always has more bars and sounds better when used in the same locations
* the fonts on UIQ!!!!! When are we goung to get cleartype fonts?!?! S60 definately rules in this department...
* UIQ themes make symbian look like a Toy OS ;-) way too colourful and cartoon like... even the plain ones are coloutful.

Just my 2p...

Old 15-08-2007, 07:38 PM

JDesigner is on a distinguished road
Smythe,

As far as reception on N95 better than P1i - an explanation of cell reception copied from mobiledia

"Ever wonder why you don't get reception? For a simple answer, typically user load and tower placement are the reasons reception quality diminishes. Other factors may be terrain, modulation technology, weather, or the phone itself. However, call quality depends more upon network than anything else."

JDesigner

Old 15-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Hi Guys/Gals, Not too sure why people give this phone good reviews, I bought it but im definatly returning it after just a day. For the following reasons
* Its virtually identical to my M600i in terms of performance. Admitedly the build quality is alot better but its just an M600i with a camera and Wi-FI. and screen *slighly* brighter. Not entirely sure why its always compared to the old P series phones (good marketing on Sony ericssons part I guess). Because its an M610... well It should be called that anyway.
* Phone reception wasnt great. i know this is very subjective, but my N95 always has more bars and sounds better when used in the same locations
* the fonts on UIQ!!!!! When are we goung to get cleartype fonts?!?! S60 definately rules in this department...
* UIQ themes make symbian look like a Toy OS ;-) way too colourful and cartoon like... even the plain ones are coloutful.

Just my 2p...
Actually I found the performance to be better than a M600. I'll discuss this more in part2, but side by side its noticeably faster. I do see you point about M / P series, but then I always felt the M600 was really a different type of P series device.

Phone reception has been good for me. Indeed it got a signal in one place where usually I don't get one or have a low signal. You;re not alone though. I'll try and test this some more.

There are some nice themes from UIQ.com - like you I prefer my themes basic, but not a lot of people seem to agree.

Quote:
Hi Rafe, could you talk a little bit about the quality of the camera, particularly as compared to other phones with 3.2 mPix or higher? Specifically, I'm curious about comparing the quality of this camera to the k810 and k800, as well as the N73 and N95.

Thanks!
This sort of thing is always a bit subjective. I'm not sure it measures up to the K810 though I dont have one to do a direct comparison with. I would say its simialr to the N73 in most situations (N73 maybe better in medium light). Its not as good as the N95. I included some sample photos so people could see for themselves. If there interest I can probably do some more.

Quote:
SE should send free P1s for the ripped-off full price lemon P990 buyers. Anyways the P1 is the same obsolete 2005-2006 technology (what about HSDPA? quadband? 16M color TFT? 300+MHz CPU? etc.), just more RAM.
I think that a matter of perspective. As I noted in the review it is not cutting edge, but I do think it is mature as a platform. This is what a lot of people want. They want stability and the tried and tested stuff. I think this is also reflected in the pricing - which is very competitive and will grow more so in time. Still I would suggest this might not be the phone for the person who wants the very latest thing. Wait a bit longer for that.

Quote:
Btw still no call recording or any profile system. Is this a business phone?
True, its just the silence option. Call recording can be added by 3rd party software I believe.

Interestingly I think these comments demonstrate how hard it is to keep everyone happy. All phones make compromises in some ways. It depends how much they impact you personally as to what you think of said phone.

Old 16-08-2007, 06:33 AM

JDesigner is on a distinguished road
I wonder how many people are using this phone on the T-Mobile network? Many of the websites mention T-Mobile as the site for unlocked phones. Maybe the performance is better on AT&T.

Old 25-11-2008, 06:03 PM

lguntu is on a distinguished road
@all

Hi i found this in fixya.com , it workes try it.....

I went to my router and opened the section for wireless access point or the access control. I dint turn on the access control mine is still an open network but the was a list displaying available access cards connected to the router..in that my laptop and my P1i showed and i added them to the access control list( even though i didn't check the box to turn access control..wiered) but it worked and im browsing.. now when i check the connected devices ..it shows the P1i tooo.. soo the fix is in the router...none other solutions abt router worked except this one AND i use operamini and not the default browser.. ..

Old 15-08-2007, 05:43 PM
dwinokur

Hi Rafe, could you talk a little bit about the quality of the camera, particularly as compared to other phones with 3.2 mPix or higher? Specifically, I'm curious about comparing the quality of this camera to the k810 and k800, as well as the N73 and N95.

Thanks!