All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-07-2007, 10:45 AM

prongstar is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Nokia N95 maps, internet and other gripes

Hello all, hopefully somebody can help me with this. I started to have a look at maps yesterday. Gound my house on the map no problems and added it as a book mark. Now when I launch maps it show you the earth, loads up to 50% and then quits, everytime....help... Also wireless internet, it finds my wireless broadband box but cannot connect at all. I have tried DHCP on or off, the router is set for MAc address filtering only, no other security even with the Mac address added it still does not work, cannot connect to the internet. AND Sett. Wizard, whenever I launch this now I just get the option of email settings, with the message No operator data available contact you operator for settings data, I am pretty certain this worked at first but why has this packed up. My Firmware version is only version 10.x .x but as I don't have access to a windows PC I cannot updtae the firmware which I would love to do, any suggestions on how to upgrade firmware without a PC. For an all singing and all dancing phone it is really proving to be a complete pain at the moment. Any help would be appreciated before I throw it into the wifes food blender and switch it onto level 10.

Old 13-07-2007, 12:27 PM

Halon is on a distinguished road
If you can't access a Windows PC in any shape or form I'd take the phone to a Nokia Service Centre and ask them to upgrade the firmware. It makes sense to upgrade first and then see what works and what doesn't.
Nokia N97

6600 > 6630 > N70 > N80 > N95 > N95 8GB > N85 > N97

Old 13-07-2007, 01:40 PM

superswede is on a distinguished road
Agree with Halon. A lot of stuff that should work even on firmware 10.x does not work for you so you basically have to options which I should recommend instead of using lot of hours 'trial & error':
- Perform a hard reset (*#7370#). Note that this will completely wipe your phone from all data. ..And just to be sure do not restore any backup to device after doing this (except maybe contacts which you safely can backup to memory card from contacts application).
- Take your phone to a Service Centre and have them to upgrade your firmware.
-----------------------------
N95 << W950i << N70 <<...