All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 AM

beerglass007 is on a distinguished road
GPS Geo Tagging

Hi all

When taking a picture you can use the GPS to geo tag the JPG, giving you the GPS location.

I understand this is the EXIF 2.1 standard.

When uploaded directly to http://www.flickr.com it shows me the location of where the picture was taken.

But when I email the picture or copy the jpg directly off the phone it loses the GPS information.

There is many different 3rd party apps which will show me the EXIF information of the picture, but the geo tagging information is lost.

Is this because the N95 doesnt use standard EXIF or is something strange going on.

If you copy the JPG direct to the PC and then upload to flickr.com it doesnt know anything about the GPS location.

If you then copy the same picture and upload direct to flickr.com using a program like shozu it keeps the geo tagging information and shows the location of the picture.

Anyone else found this problem?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM

khedara is on a distinguished road
i used shosu too. It tags the images with latitude and longitude as in geolon: ,geolat , geotagged. With the upload. It doesn't save the location on the exif data on picture.
It be great if there is a software to tag the gps data to the exif.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khedara View Post
i used shosu too. It tags the images with latitude and longitude as in geolon: ,geolat , geotagged. With the upload. It doesn't save the location on the exif data on picture.
It be great if there is a software to tag the gps data to the exif.
So how does it work?

Surely the JPG file has the EXIF information inside the JPG?

Old 08-05-2007, 05:05 PM

khedara is on a distinguished road
When the gps is on there must be a log file on the n95 saving the location data, If we can find it in the phone and download it to the pc and use Sony GPS Image Tracker software to tag the location to pictures. then once you upload to flickr the gps location can be seen,

I use gps-cs1 here's an example http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=487255520

Last edited by khedara; 08-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khedara View Post
When the gps is on there must be a log file on the n95 saving the location data, If we can find it in the phone and download it to the pc and use Sony GPS Image Tracker software to tag the location to pictures. then once you upload to flickr the gps location can be seen,

I use gps-cs1 here's an example http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=487255520
Hmmm
I dont think your right there. There is NO log file containing the GPS location.
Its all inside the JPG file.

If you read the spec on EXIF

What is EXIF data?

Almost all new digital cameras save JPEG (jpg) files with EXIF (Exchangeable Image File) data. Camera settings and scene information are recorded by the camera into the image file. Examples of stored information are shutter speed, date and time, focal length, exposure compensation, metering pattern and if a flash was used.

You get alot of information like what camera it was, if the flash was fired etc etc etc.
You also get GPS location stored within the JPG hence my post.
When you upload it to flickr, its able to show the location because the GPS location is stored within the JPG.

But if you copy the JPG directly onto a PC and run a program to display the EXIF information the GPS location information is missing....but why???

I have my own picture gallery using a open source program called "gallery2"
this supports google maps API but the jpg's coming from the Nokia N95 have the GPS information missing.

But how come they work direct from the phone to flickr?

Old 09-05-2007, 01:43 PM

any ideas

Anyone come across this problem ?