All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-04-2007, 10:26 AM

doonit is on a distinguished road
E70 firmware 3.0633.09.04 won't install.

I discovered the new firmware yesterday and immediately tried to install it. Did everything according to the instuctions. It downloads ok but won't install on my phone. Keeps telling me to remove my battery and then restart. At this point there have been no changes to my phone. After removing the battery, re-inserting it and then restarting the phone still has all my old apps, calendar and contacts intact and functional.
Can anyone tell me what's going on??????

Old 30-04-2007, 12:27 PM

bhrishikesh is on a distinguished road
Check if your phone and the firmware are compatible. Try resetting the phone to its factory settings and then update the firmware, but that'll mean that you have to reload all your applications and custom data. Also check what version of the Nokia Install Manager are you using. Always update through a cable and not through Bluetooth or other wireless connections.

Old 30-04-2007, 01:18 PM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonit View Post
At this point there have been no changes to my phone. After removing the battery, re-inserting it and then restarting the phone still has all my old apps, calendar and contacts intact and functional.
Can anyone tell me what's going on??????
I hope you connected the phone again to USB cable.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:23 AM

E70 firmware

I did all that the first time around.
I downloaded the software updater the same day that I tried updating the phone. Tried installing the software two or three times before re-installing the updater and re-downloading the firmware. Then I re-set the phone using *#7370# and again using call+*+3+power button. Still no luck.
As the updater reaches the end of the download and begins to install it to the phone my pc makes the "usb disconnect" sound and after a moment makes the "usb connect" sound. The phones screen goes white and then I'm told to remove the battery, then insert it again and connect the charger and usb and restart the phone, then hit "re-try"
Nokia updater tells me that this is the correct upgrade for my product code.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonit View Post
As the updater reaches the end of the download and begins to install it to the phone my pc makes the "usb disconnect" sound and after a moment makes the "usb connect" sound. The phones screen goes white and then I'm told to remove the battery, then insert it again and connect the charger and usb and restart the phone, then hit "re-try"
Make sure you have the SIM inside, General profile selected and a good USB connection. After the connection between phone and computer has been established DO NOT TOUCH THE PHONE AGAIN UNTIL UPDATE WAS FINISHED. Try to reject possible incoming calls with call baring to avoid surprises.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Thankyou, Ratza, for the good advise but I really have done all of this correctly and according to all the instructions given by the updater. I'm a fairly advanced S60 power user and I'm particularly obsessed with my E70. Been through this thing now for days. I've tried every angle that I can think of. It's not that the old firmware (2.x) has been too troublesome except for the standard E70 ram related problems, but I know that I won't rest until I have the new firmware. Need a solution BIG TIME!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM

Is your E70 a generic one?