All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-04-2007, 08:10 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Beginners advice please - Voda N95 on T-mobile

Hi,

A bit of beginners advice needed if possible.

Im soon to be getting an unlocked Vodaphone N95 which I intend to use on T-mobile PAYG (currently on Virgin but want the 1 a day max data charge).

So my questions are:

1. Will the phone have Vodaophone specific stuff on it? For instance, is Voda one of the networks that removes VOIP?

2. If VOIP is removed, I understand a re-flash to generic firmware can sort this out. Is this easy to do, and if I do it, will the phone become locked again?

3. Once the T-mobile card is in, is it easy to set up all the proxy stuff to allow the internet to work? Can the phone do an auto detect or anything like that?

Thanks very much in advance for any answers

Cheers.

Old 19-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
Firstly, If you are getting your phone from Vodafone.. then it will both be SIM locked to Vodafone and also the firmware will be Vodafone branded. (i.e. No Voip and no changing of your SIM card).

It will be possible to re-flash the firmware to the generic N95 firmware. Some people have already claimed to have done it. It will become a lot easier, when Nokia officially release an firmware update.
This however still means you will still be locked to using a Vodafone SIM card. The only possible way of SIM unlocking the phone is through a unlock code provided by Vodafone.

Old 19-04-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The phone is already sim unlocked so that's not a problem.

Ok, so in the short term the phone will have to remain Vodaphone branded. I'm not too bothered about VOIP just yet anyway. Will there be any other issues with a Voda branded phone on a different netowrk?

Old 19-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

Other than the VoIP, there are no other worthwhile differences.

The Vodafone firmware has predefined access point settings for WAP, Internet and email over the network. Unfortunately, these are locked and cannot be deleted. (Re-flashing to generic firmware will remove these).
You can however still install additional T-Mobile settings for all of the above. You will just have to put up with a large list of access points.

As for configuring the t-mobile access points, you can use :

https://nokiags.wdsglobal.com/globalJumpPage.html
or
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/personal/p...upport/landing

Old 19-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Excellent links, thanks very much.

I assume that the Nokia thing will know from the phone number I give it which network I'm on and send the appropriate settings? When I receive the settings will the phone deal with them automatically, or will I have to manaully enter them?

Also, will T-mobile allow me to poll my Blueyonder POP3 email?

Old 19-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned

Its a case of selecting the phone, Country, then network... The you give it your number and tada... you get a sms with the settings. Its then a case of opening the sms and agreeing to the "are you sure you want to ..........." blah blah. The settings will be automatically installed.

Yes, you will be able to use the t-mobile connection to access any pop3 email account. Bear in mind that you should check the option on only "download headers", Otherwise it may download full emails and you will get a hefty data bill.